Tinnitus and Pulsatile Tinnitus, Fear of MRI Results, Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dna_420, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      Hi All,

I got tinitus suddenly 2 weeks ago, since then my life has been a living hell. I’m 33 year old guy who hasn't had any health issues until recently.

Recently to add to my stress, while I was in bed I could hear the whoosh sounds on the right ear (low frequency tinnitus is in the left m). This has freaked me out even more!!

I went to an ENT and he said I have slight hearing loss in my left ear, so because my tinnitus is one sided and hearing loss he has to get MRI done just to rule out anything sinister, but I have health anxiety and since that day I’m a nervous wreck.

I’m scared they will find either a tumor or an aneurysm, in the MRI, I’m unable to eat or sleep, scan is on Tuesday and I’ve requested the doctor to view it same day and wait for the radiologist report later.

Because I lost my mom last year unexpectedly, my fear of death is now unimaginable, I have a small son and he can sense I’m upset and stressed.

I'm scared of surgery, few months ago I had a kidney stone and that experience has destroyed me mentally, I have a scan in February to check if the stone is gone or new ones coming etc.

They also found a benign bone lesion during my ct scan but I’m convinced I have cancer :( , I know nhs cannot use the word benign as I could sue them if it turned out I had cancer

Sorry to ramble on, just feels good to write here!

Thanks

Dan

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      Just to add I have a stiff neck and I think if I twist my head to the right the T becomes slightly louder

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Dna_420 ,
      Try not to worry about the MRI they are just checking things out like a acoustic neroma that is a small non cancerous tumour and grows slow and just a yearly check up is needed and can be removed when needed.
      A MRI is usually routinely done so please don't worry .
      Sorry to hear you lost your mum ,I lost my dad last year and my mum June this year.
      Try to relax and keep sound on around you that you like to listen to or natural sounds to help mask your sound.
      If you have hearingloss you could be picking up your pulse from your Caroted Artery and help for that could be a hearing aid or for some a small beta blocker can help.
      Try not to worry and let ENT do their job looking after you.
      Chin up and look forward to Christmas .
      Love glynis

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      @glynis thank you for your reply , really appreciate it,

I’m just so nervous , I worry about my little boy how he could live without his dad if something happened to me

I left work on Friday as I broke down, I work in London and very competitive environment I know I’m being so weak but I think I’m on the verge of a breakdown

Hope all is well with you , how’s your T? Have you had a mri?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      @glynis and I’m sorry you’ve lost both your parents , I hope you are ok :( losing my mom at a young age was the biggest tragedy of my life

6. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Dna_420 ,
      Tinnitus comes with lots of unwanted emotions and easy to see how tinnitus and emotional turmoil and lack of sleep,work load,family life can soon feel hard to handle.
      Your just having a bit of a wobble as your life has been invaded by tinnitus.
      You might find going to a tinnitus support group helpful and listed on the BTA website.
      I live in Stoke on Trent .
      Is been tough loosing parents but it will get better as time goes on.
      I have had a few MRI scans with no problem.
      We are here around the clock to support you.
      Love glynis

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      @glynis thank you :) I will defo let you know what the ENT says on Tuesday evening

Keep me in your prayers please

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Whoosher

Whoosher Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Dna_420,
      I signed up just so I could respond to your note. I also have tinnitus, incredibly annoying. I, too, did the MRI/MRA -- all came back normal. I just wanted to strongly urge you to try to stay away from worst case scenarios, as I truly believe it will only make any symptoms worse.

Wondering if the stiff neck is due to your stress and anxiety? I've had some mysterious symptoms for a few years now (improving but still there) and have done several tests, so I completely understand the anxiety that comes with waiting for the tests and the results. I've spent WAY too many hours researching and making myself sick with anxiety. These are hours that I can't get back--I almost never felt better after the research either. I would go down the rabbit's hole of finding the absolute worst possible thing that it could be and then convince myself that that's what I had.

When I did the MRI/MRA, I took a Valium and that helped a lot to calm my nerves. I also have small children, so I understand that fear as well. Also, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mom.

I would stay away from any negativity on the Internet, and try to distract yourself until your tests. Also, since you mentioned "keeping you in your prayers," to another person, you might also try to find some spiritual/positive/uplifting reading. I know when I've had those rough times before a test, it has helped to read about someone else going through a difficult time so you feel you're not alone, and it's also put things into perspective. Specifically, I would read the Diary of Saint Maria Faustina--a little intense, but it seemed to help.

Wishing you the best!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      @Whoosher @glynis i had my mri today, what an experience that was , I felt like I was in a coffin!

Doctor had a quick look and said he doesn’t see a AN, but official report comes in 2 days, but I’m hoping that’s the end of that and they don’t find any cysts or something

Thank you for your prayers and support , bad news is I’m pretty much stuck with this T

10. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Dna_420 ,
      Im sure the MRI will be ok and nothing to worry about.
      Life will go on and the main thing is work as hard as you can to look after your mental health,
      Nice treats,plan nice things and places to go to look forward to get enough sleep and sound therapy and hearing aids if needed.
      Love glynis

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dna_420

Dna_420 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still investigating
      @glynis thanks, I’ve started seeing a counsellor , think it’s time I dealt with my moms loss and all the health anxiety I’ve had, I hope it all works out

Hope all is well with you

12. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Dna_420 ,
      Good luck with your counselling it really helped me.
      Hope a better New Year for us both.
      Stay positive ....
      Love glynis

• Hug Hug x 1