Tinnitus and TMJ

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Linda Lapera, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Linda Lapera

Linda Lapera Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 to 8 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all,
      I'm new to the site and like everyone hoping to find some tips along the way to manage this condition that I hope is temporary. Recently, I have found myself under a lot of stress and have developed TMJ. It had gotten so extreme, that it affected my hearing and I actually thought I was losing my hearing. I have a dull ache in my ears probably due to all the muscle tension in my neck and jaw.

My dentist recommends seeing a physical therapist to get some exercises, but I'm hoping to find some other avenues to get the TMJ under control and hope that it improves the Tinnitus since I've never had it before.

Anyone here dealing with TMJ and have any suggestions on turning it around (other than reducing stress as I am doing meditation and other stress managing techniques).

A friend recommended a chiropractor, but I'm a little hesitant.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

2. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @Linda Lapera - A lot of people here on this site have TMJ issues, me included. I've been going to PT for neck/jaw/back issues for 5 months now and also have a mouth orthotic for TMJ. Still dealing with pain here and there but the tinnitus has faded quite a bit. Unfortunately there's no easy fix for this.

If you use the search function on this website you'll have some answers to your questions. Feel free to PM me.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum, Linda. If you don't find enough response here on TMJ, try post this to the main support forum, or simply search TT forum with 'TMJ' and you should get plenty of prior discussions. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Linda Lapera Linda, since you have TMJ and neck problems, both areas need attention.

I would go to You Tube and consider trying the under jaw digastric exercise. It's just a simple thumb massage. This is important because it relates not only to TMJ, but also the neck muscles that contribute to TMJ.

http://what-when-how.com/dental-ana...ntal-anatomy-physiology-and-occlusion-part-3/

Video exercises for the neck that also relate to TMJ. Most are far down within article. https://trainingandrehabilitation.com/multifactorial-causes-solutions-chronic-neck-pain/

• Informative Informative x 3