Tinnitus as a 14-Year-Old? How to Beat It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marhin, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Marhin

Marhin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud exposure to noise (I think)
      Hey Guys

It all started a few months ago and I thought the sound would be normal, and it’s nothing wrong.

I started to hear it at the night, so I thought it’s nothing bad (It was quiet at that time earlier).

Well. A month after I started to realize it comes from my head and gets louder, and I could feel, that it comes from my head.

At this day I started to search for this in the internet, and I found out about tinnitus.

So now I’m here and I don’t really know what to do.

I'm too young to have something like this following through my life.

I always use earbuds, but just to watch YouTube videos or listen to Spotify music, not at an excessive loudness.

Sometimes it’s louder, sometimes it isn’t.

Also I can still hear as good as before, just this weird beeeeeeeeeeeep sound in my ear is bothering me.

And there is no way I'm gonna accept it.

Is there a possibility, that it goes away from itself?

Right now. I don’t really hear it anymore. It’s almost gone. But I think it will come back.

Since I am often in my room to chill, I don’t want to avoid earbuds.

I'm watching YouTube, and I don’t want my family to hear what I watch.

Someone knows how I could beat this?

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 10
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      The only thing you really can do is sit around and wait for one of the drugs they are testing to get approved and come to market.

3. Yugal Rai
      Dreaming

Yugal Rai Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In my opinion earbuds are worse. Why don’t you use headphones instead of earbuds to watch YouTube and listen to Spotify.

Don’t use earbuds for hours, give your ears a break and avoid going to loud places for now.

Your tinnitus can go away if you take good care of your ears. If your tinnitus is almost gone then prioritise resting your ears for now, you don’t wanna slow down your recovery or make it worse by doing stupid stuff. I wish somebody told me that before I got tinnitus.

I’m like 90% sure my tinnitus is caused by earbuds. I used to listen to SoundCloud for hours and hours. :C feelsbadman.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I got my tinnitus from earbuds possibly like yourself. To protect my ears and my hearing I stopped using them. I didn't need my tinnitus to get any worse. You'd been a smart to do the same. As far as accepting it, most everyone does but it takes time & patience.

5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      'Headphones and earbuds can emit a maximum sound from 85 to 110 decibels, levels that could lead to hearing loss, Foy said. Foy recommends following the "60/60 rule." If your device has a volume range of 1 to 10, the highest listening level should be no more than 6 — 60 percent of the volume range.'

Knowing 85 dB+ is dangerous why not default to 80 dB with an override to higher. They banned metal tip Law Darts cause people were throwing them up in the air and they were landing in their heads! We are a suicidal world.

6. vaseto99
      No Mood

vaseto99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fuck if I know
      I would suggest avoiding headphones/headsets as much as possible.
      When I got tinnitus, I didnt let my ears heal, and I still used headphones/headsets and didnt avoid loud stuff.
      My tinnitus could have probably been gone complely, but I just didnt give them some time to rest.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      You are young, it’s not your fault, it’s your auditory system that is defective.

The good thing is that your brain has probably much more plasticity than older people’s so you’ll get used to it.

Avoid listening to it, protect your ears x

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Marhin

HI Marhin,

Unless there is an underlying medical problem within your auditory system that is causing the tinnitus, it was without a shadow of a doubt, caused by your "Earbuds" You may not think that you have had the volume too loud when using them but I assure you it was. In addition to this you have been using them too much without giving your ears a rest.

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud sound. Headphones and Earbuds are at the top of the list for causing it followed by attending clubs and concerts where loud music is played.

My advice to you is to stop using headphones/earbuds for a least 3 months, although I would prefer that you never use them again even at low volume. Your tinnitus will most likely reduce in volume but this will take time. Please click on the links below and read my posts, which you might find helpful. Try to use "sound enrichment" especially at night. More about this is explained in my posts.

I wish you well
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    9. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      @Michael Leigh: Helpful advice and agree with protecting your ears from loud sounds. One thing to keep in mind is that most children would not even understand or know if they have an "underlying medical problem" to begin with. They rely on their parents for that whom they complain to, and they also may not know as they rely on their general practitioner. Circular. Oftentimes and unfortunately, they may find this out much later in life (too late after the fact) while exposing their ears to loud sounds overtime. For the time being, I agree with Michael to give your ears a rest to try help them heal.

Obviously, it may need to be explained repeatedly to people (esp. newcomers) as this can be confusing of why you would advise to stop listening with headphones even at low volume, but then listen to "sound enrichment" throughout the night, at a time when you'd think some silence would be good to give your ears a rest. You know what I mean? (I understand it's a strategy to try help mask T).

@Marhin: Good for you for asking questions to take care of yourself.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @sakrt

@Marhin has come to this forum for advice on what might be the cause of his tinnitus? It was only right that I mentioned his tinnitus could be caused by an underlying medical condition because I cannot be one hundred percent sure. However, based on my many years experience with "noise induced" tinnitus which the most common cause is headphone use, it was of no surprise to me to read that Marhin uses earbuds a lot. Therefore, it is highly likely they caused his tinnitus. If he wants to help himself (and I assume he does) then he should follow my advice and stop using headphones even at low volume. It is similar advice to what other members have told him.

Whether Marhin chooses to listen or not is his affair, if he continues using headphones even at low volume, he risks the tinnitus becoming louder, more severe and permanent, this is often an unfortunate truth. Some people do not like to be told this because they believe what I'm saying is not true.

Michael

• Like Like x 2
    12. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      @Michael Leigh: A possibility that "sound enrichment" sounds throughout the night (long-term) could result to the same effect? I kind of see it this way... alike to people developing issues caused by visual over-stimulation from the intense artificial lighting from today's gadgets. People use the latter watching TV, then for reading at night (e.g. Kindle) which in turn affects their REM sleep - even if adjusted to a lower setting. Common sense would be to stop doing this such as after 7pm to give your eyes a rest, however technology has made everyone addicted... very much like Benzos. You'd think the same concept would apply to our ears/sounds, you'd think?

• Like Like x 1
    13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I think another possibility is that some people--even without an underlying medical condition--are going to be more vulnerable to ear/hearing damage than others, for any variety of reasons. Perhaps it's because they've been unwittingly exposed to certain ototoxic medications earlier in life (such as Ciprodex or any number of antibiotics, etc.). I tend to think that often it's just plain ol' genetics. Amazing how some people on this forum can develop devastating tinnitus from an event like a concert, but almost everybody else at the same concert don't have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sound enrichment used correctly helps tinnitus and hyperacusis. For people with "noise induced tinnitus" it is important in majority of cases to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night. I have covered this in many of my posts and articles that are on my "Started Threads" Please read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, for more detailed insight in the benefits of using sound enrichment.

Benzos used correctly and under the care of a doctor, helps most people with severe intrusive tinnitus as in my case. I have used Clonazepam, as and when I require it for the passed 9 years and found it extremely helpful, when nothing else would reduce the severity of my tinnitus.

Michael

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Lane

The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud noise. Typically, it is overuse of headphones/earbuds and listing to music at too high a volume. People that get tinnitus due to headphone use, this includes yours truly, acquired it over time, usually over many months and years. The tinnitus starts at a low volume but is easily masked by everyday normal sounds. The person persists in using headphones at high volume unaware they are causing damage to the auditory system, until one day the tinnitus becomes loud and intrusive!.

It similar to people that get noise induced tinnitus from visiting clubs and concerts where loud music is played. They might get an occasional "spike" which results in tinnitus for a couple of days but this soon subsides. They continue visiting such venues and not taking precautions like wearing "noise reducing" earplugs. Eventually, they develop full blown tinnitus.

Most of the people that visit this forum complaining of tinnitus, it is the result of exposure to loud noise. This is usually followed by tinnitus caused by an underlying medical problem within the auditory system such as: Menier's, ETD, Osteoporosis, hearing loss, Acoustic neuroma to name a few.

Tinnitus caused by gentics and ototoxic medication is not so common although it can happen. A lot of people jump on the bandwagon and quickly believe medication, food or drink make their tinnitus worse or caused its onset. Again, this is not usually the case. All it does is create panic, fear and frustration which usually causes stress resulting in the tinnitus becoming more intrusive. I have written about this in many of my posts. Please read: Food, drink and tinnitus, on my "started threads.

All the best to you.
      Michael

16. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Again, Benzodiazepines is a LAST RESORT drug, that you (or anyone else) do not want to use, because of how severe withdrawal and side effects are.
      They are also extremely addictive substances, as little as a week of chronic exposure is enough to get you addicted, stop advising people to use this poison.

If you want to read plenty of horror stories on Benzodiazepines, head to Benzobuddies, if you still want to take these after reading the posts there, well, it's your life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You clearly have have a lot to learn about tinnitus and how debilitating it can be for some people.
      I will not be corresponding with you anymore on this topic.

I wish you well.
      Michael

18. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because, of course, your case is unique and only you can have experienced severe Tinnitus, right?

You are judging people without knowing of their circumstances.

You wouldn't be feeling slightly condescending by any chance would you?

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

@Mathieulh

This is one of the rare occasions that I am replying to someone on a particular topic which I have previously said I wouldn't. I wanted to be polite and withdraw from corresponding with you since I know that you are new to tinnitus having it for just 23 three days. Well, I want to enlighten you that I have had it for 23 years. Whilst I don't know everything about this condition I know considerably more than you. I have counselled many people with severe debilitating tinnitus and therefore, like other people in this forum that are seasoned to tinnitus, as well as veterans know how severe and debilitating tinnitus can be.

Benzo medication such as clonazepam can be extremely helpful when used correctly. Counselling, sound therapy and other types of medication such as antidepressants can help too. When tinnitus is severe and this is sustained it can wear a person down considerably to the point where they might consider suicide. Medications of the type mentioned above can help save a person reaching the end of their tether when nothing else or anyone can help. You would know this if you had endured severe tinnitus for some considerable time not just 23 days.

When you have had tinnitus for at least two years. Corresponded and learnt from others that are more knowledgeable than yourself, then you would have acquired a certain amount of knowledge and experience. At the moment you are reacting just like a some "newbies" that I have met over the years. Had tinnitus for about 5mins, read a few articles online and come to a forum thinking they know it all. Well, I assure you that you don't.

Take care and goodbye.
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Truthfully once you have experienced severe debilitating tinnitus, whether it's for one day or twenty years, you know first hand what kind of a hell it is.

23 days was plenty of time to know this is one of the worst conditions to live with. Keep in mind that for all I knew at the time, this was going to stay like this for the rest of my life, it showed no signs of subsiding whatever for those 23 days, the fact that it eventually did was nothing short of a miracle, and I am grateful to have been given this second chance, which I sure as hell won't be wasting.

I still had this debilitating condition less than two weeks ago, it's very fresh, was very traumatizing, and definitely not something I will get to forget. Trust me when I tell you it was quite the wakeup call, and more than enough to know how impactful severe tinnitus can be on someone's life. Because I only had it for a short time (although 23 days of pure hell was plenty) that doesn't mean I don't know the kind of debilitating experience it is.

Besides, should your tinnitus be an extreme severe case, you wouldn't be posting here, I know, because I wasn't. That's how bad it was for 23 days, debilitating enough that the only things I could think of were the noise, making it stop regardless of the means, and taking my own life. (And the fact that I couldn't focus enough to read, most, if any, of the posts here, let alone reply to anyone.)

So, yes, I can truthfully say I know how bad it can get, and I don't know if I would have had it in me to go on for a year (let alone the rest of my life) in this condition.

Finally, while the fact that you have had severe tinnitus for 2 years is sad, and not something I would wish on anyone, that does not make you necessarily more knowledgeable than others.

It also doesn't change the fact that Benzodiazepines, which you recommend taking, have ruined the lives of countless people.

21. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have the most amount of respect for you and you know it. But, I do have to agree with what he is talking about. Yes, meds can be helpful and some do need it. Meds can affect all of us in different ways. Meds can also build up addiction such as benzos. This type of addiction is extremely hard to deal with. It can control your mind and your body at the same time. The withdrawls are PURE hell, and it's no joke. I faced it myself and it was by far the hardest struggle I ever faced.

I do agree with you on counseling and therapy, but meds might not always be needed for this. Talking it out and positive re-enforcement even in times of struggle are very helpful to all that suffer, not just those that have tinnitus.

Be well...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @fishbone

You are someone that I have immense respect for as a veteran with over 30 years experience. When you have the time please read my posts in this thread regarding the Benzo clonazepam. I am only talking about this particular medication. It is useful when used on a short term basis as I have indicated. When I was prescribed it in 2010 by my ENT consultant. She said only take it for up to three days. The dosage advised was 2x 0.5mg tablets.

She told me about its addictive nature and other side effects that it can have when taken long term. In addition to this, if clonazepam is taken regularly (like other benzos) it will lose it's effect as the body will quickly get used to it. Under these circumstances, more of the drug is needed to get relief and that's when addiction can set in. I have taken clonazepam for 9 years, usually for a maximum of 3 days only when my tinnitus reaches severe levels. It reduces my tinnitus to complete silence. I take it once or twice a month for the duration mentioned and never had a problem with it.

All the best
      Michael

23. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      3 days in a row is already too much, in a worst case scenario you need to wait 3 days between each use/intake to avoid possible withdrawal symptoms. Although 3 days would make withdrawal short (relatively speaking, they could still last days/weeks depending on the individual and dosage).

I meant it when I said it's a last resort drug, Benzodiazepines are very easy to abuse and are extremely addictive.

24. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am all for short term, and proper planning. It's helpful when the Dr has good knowledge on the med and how it can affect our body/mind. Your Ent gave some good advice! I am very happy that your severe tinnitus can get silenced. it's a blessing and I am happy for you :)

• Like Like x 1
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      y'all people seem pretty stressed, maybe you should relax and take some benzos ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    26. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @Marhin

To get back to the topic at hand...

Avoid the earbuds as they very much, most likely caused your T, and will make it worse over time. Stopping the exposure will improve things, given some time to heal. In some ways, it really is that simple.

Otherwise, listen through an external speaker at low volume.

Hearing protection for all loud exposures going forward. If it seems loud, it is and protect, especially for the next several months.

I do not use sound enrichment at night.

27. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      For some people--such as myself--3 days in a row can be problematic. I have a prescription for .2 mg tablets of clonazepam, and only take a 1/4 tablet at a time (or .05 mg). This is 1/10 the dose that Michael said he was taking. I can experience an element of relief for a few hours, but I can also begin to experience withdrawal symptoms shortly after (including increased tinitus volume); even the same day.

Just having a few hours of somewhat less tinnitus intensity however makes it worth the risk of any potential short-term side effects. But I have to be very judicious in how often I use it. I would never take it twice in the same week, and generally speaking, only take it every 2-3 months or so. So in my case, I'm very aware of the potential downside of benzos, but use them occasionally anyway at times of crisis. -- Everybody's situation is going to be different, and I understand I'm on the extreme end of the spectrum of how much can safely be taken.