Tinnitus Began Two Days After a Dental Procedure: I Feel Hopeless and Need Help!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Carol27, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      Hello everyone!

I recently got tinnitus (November 2019). I got my tinnitus about 2 days after I got a dental procedure done. The first procedure I got done was a removal of a wisdom tooth and then a week after I got drilled on a tooth that grew a bit broken and needed to be filled in. After this procedure the tinnitus started. The weird thing is that the sound was more like a wind noise at first and it lasted for about 2 weeks and then for one day it all stopped and it came back but as a ringing noise.

When the wind noise first started I went to an Urgent Care and they prescribed me some pills because they thought I had allergies. The noise continued so I decided to go to an ENT and they gave me more pills because they saw I had inflammation inside my nose. After I took those pills the wind noise stopped and then the ringing noise began. I went back to the ENT and they did a hearing test and the hearing test came out great! so they pretty much told me it would go away in a few weeks. (yeah ok). I was trying to believe that but I got impatient and went to another ENT and he made me get some blood test done and to go to a neurologist. I did both and the neurologist did an MRI of my brain and nose with and without contrast. The results came back and my brain is healthy and they found some small cyst in my nose but they said its nothing to worry about because they are so small. The blood results came back and everything looks great besides that my iron is pretty high. My ENT says my tinnitus was not caused by that and that I have to learn to deal with the noise and that it might just got away on its on. He also told me a story about a time he had tinnitus and he said he got it during medical school because he was stressed and after 4 months it went away. He told me mine could be caused due to stress.

Long story short, I AM HAVING SO MUCH ANXIETY. I do not know if it was dental procedure that caused my tinnitus or is stress or is it my high level of iron or the little cysts in my nose? I need help, I feel so hopeless and alone. I am starting to see a psychologist because I cannot deal with the noise anymore. I slowly feel like I am going insane. It is so hard for me to deal with this, I am only 19 and a junior in college and I feel like tinnitus is going to stop me from being happy, enjoying my life, and possibly finishing college. I just don't understand tinnitus, why does it go away for some people and why does it stay for others? & why can't those people who's tinnitus goes away share their story and give us hope? :(

Also, I recently started to get this vibration noise in my ears on top of the ringing. I do not know if it's because I recently got a cold or because the tinnitus is becoming worse.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Warm welcome to the forum. You have my empathy for the suffering you are going through. That is quite normal reaction for new intrusive tinnitus sufferers. The hardest is the first few months. But once you know that many people do get better over time and that you are not alone out there with this ailment, hopefully your stress and anxiety level will go down and with that the intensity of your ringing may go down too. Remember stress and anxiety are bad for tinnitus and try your best to stay calm and positive that you will get better like most folks.

Regarding your above question about success stories, we do have many people who share their success stories. You can find lots of them in the Success Stories forum under Knowledge Base. I wrote mine too after suffering nightmarish experiences with both ultra high pitch tinnitus plus severe hyperacusis. I was in a mess initially but today I live a normal, happy, productive and absolutely enjoyable life, travelling quite often enjoying life the best I can. I am definitely not alone and you can find some of these people in my story. So I wish to share with you my story and hopefully you can read up as many as you can while there in the Success Stories forum. Learn some helpful strategies and give yourself some time to heal. Don't despair and don't lose hope. Better days will come. God bless your recovery.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

PS. Don't forget to start masking your tinnitus if it is giving you so much anxiety. My story should mention some masking strategies. But if you have smart phone, just download some APPs on nature sounds or tinnitus therapy sounds. Then use a bluetooth speaker to play and test out the sounds or mixes of sounds to find what works best for you. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AlbertJ

AlbertJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis Media
      Hang in there @Carol27.

Anxiety exacerbates tinnitus. White noise and/or nature sounds can help mask your tinnitus. Try to relax as much as possible. Avoid loud environments, refrain from using headphones, manage your stress, and sleep well.

Most tinnitus cases tend to fade over time. I understand that the first few months of the tinnitus onset are usually the hardest. But you will be better soon.

Warm regards,
      Albert

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      Sorry, I'm tired, so can't type too much... There are different sections on this forum for example 'Treatments' or 'Success Stories.' It's just useful to have a look around, and see different kinds of sections and different forum threads... On 'Success Stories' section, people share how they overcome their problems with tinnitus...

I'm assuming that your tinnitus is not too loud, and you probably rarely hear it during the day. So, hopefully, it will never get loud, because the amount of available and developing treatments for tinnitus, is just big. But, there are still big chances that you will get Tinnitus relief by using some of the tips on this forum.

Your tinnitus could be multi-factorial, so maybe you got it because you had inflammation in your nose when you had your unpleasant dentist's treatment, but on top of that, maybe you were a little bit anxious and possibly had flu or something similar.

In my opinion, your tinnitus would be worse in general, if it was sound-induced. Because damaging ears with sound, is causing permanent changes to your ears, that can't easily be repaired...

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      Thank you all for the response. I really appreciate it and it made me feel a bit better. I've been feeling super down today. I had a dentist appointment and my dentist said my tinnitus could have not occurred by my previous procedures which makes me more sad because I don't know the cause of my tinnitus. I know someone who had tinnitus and it went away after the doctors found a small piece of cotton from q-tips. However, it took them a while to find it, they had to do an CT scan to find it.

But thank you Bill Bauer. I hope it fades away soon. My tinnitus is not super loud only in the night time while trying to sleep. But throughout the day I can't really hear it, I only hear it throughout the day if I really try focus on it.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      I really hope that it goes away for me and everyone else because I don't think I can ever just "cope" with it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I hope your tinnitus does go away, but do know that you CAN live with it. It takes some adjustments, but it is doable :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      How can I live with it? It seems almost impossible. :( My life is not the same anymore. I am so depressed.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is the stage that many people here get to after a year or two of healing.

11. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      This is a good sign your tinnitus is mild. Take the positive and stay hopeful that your tinnitus will fade over time even more. Be willing to make adjustment to adapt to the new reality of having a ringing sound to deal with at bed time. Most people just mask their T with favorite music or nature sounds. Try to flow with life and be willing to accept this reality instead of mentally opposing it. I had a hard time to accept both my T & H initially and thought I could never cope with it too. But our perception of T will slowly change over time until at some point, hearing the ringing won't bring any negative mental reaction at all. The brain can get bored with T and just leave it.

• Creative Creative x 1
    12. iAzra
      Curious

iAzra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Stress, Nose hit
      How are you, did it go away?

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Carol27
      Thinking

Carol27 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure.
      Hi! I’m okay. I still have tinnitus but it seems like it’s slowly fading or maybe it’s just in my head. It’s really hard to hear it when I’m around other noises but I know it’s still there. It’s really loud at night when I’m trying to sleep and in quiet places. I’ll be making 2 months in like a week.