Tinnitus for 26 Years

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Bonnie Kidd, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Bonnie Kidd
      Artistic

Bonnie Kidd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      aspirin. Took 4 over 24 hours.
      Hello. I'm 71 years old, female, a writer, well educated and very research oriented. I've had tinnitus since March 7, 1990, when I ingested 4 enteric coated aspirins over a 24 hour period. A doctor had told me to do this to cope with severe arthritis pain. The ringing in my ears that resulted from the aspirin "overdose" has been constant, varying in volume from loud to deafening. I found a device called a "Tackler" which helps to distract my brain from the sound by substituting a hissing noise (volume is adjustable). I'm doing fine with this device--sleeping at night and able to work during the day. But my brain has not habituated to the device at all, and the tinnitus hasn't diminished in volume. I've been wearing the Tackler 24/7 for about two years. Anyone else have similar experience with tinnitus of long duration?

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Ive had i t 6 years and thats more than enough, I also have hyper-acusis which I feel is as bad as tinnitus. Mine has gotten worse Dr.s have done a tailspin on my hearing. Some of them cant spell Tinnitus and what is otoxic forget it.
      There lazy, think from the box only and if they cant figure out the problem they show you the front door. Oh well theres always benzodipines to give out.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bonnie Kidd
      Artistic

Bonnie Kidd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      aspirin. Took 4 over 24 hours.
      It's now 2019, and I've been using the Tackler for five years, and my tinnitus has finally abated. The habituation process took a long time, about four years, but it worked, and I now use my Tackler on the lowest setting. My tinnitus has not stopped, but the volume is now almost always much lower than it was five years ago. I am now using my third Tackler. These devices burn out after about two years. They simply stop working and they can't be fixed, so you have to buy another one. But the relief I get from this little device is priceless--I can sleep, work, and carry on a normal life, unimpeded by tinnitus. I recommend the device. Don't expect the habituation process to be quick, though. It may take years.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @Bonnie Kidd

It is good that you have found the Tackler device helpful and had to look it up as I haven't heard of It before. I did have an inclination it was something I am familiar with from your description, but called a different name and indeed it is. This device is more commonly known today as a "White noise generator" formally called a "masker". I have used them for many years and come in various forms. BTE (behind the ears) which closely resemble hearing aid and in-ear. These are smaller bullet shaped and more discrete. It fits in the entrance to the ear canal. The tinnitus masker was first developed by Dr. Vernon. The idea came about whilst travelling with his friend Dr. Charles Unice, who suffered with severe tinnitus. I have written about this in my post: Tinnitus, in the link below.

No two people will experience habituation the same. I believe the tackler/white noise generator, has enabled you to habituate to a level where you are able to continue writing and probably read, as most writers are readers. This is no easy feat for someone with intrusive tinnitus. So whilst the tinnitus may still be problematic, I will assume it no longer reaches debilitating levels where it interferes with your creativity to write.

I have had tinnitus for 23 years have had a lot of difficulty with it. In 2008 I had a second noise trauma that took 4 years to habituate to a reasonable level, but it has been a very difficult process that I have written about in my post: My experience with tinnitus, in the link below. Habituation is possible for many people and some may need professional help with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, trained in tinnitus and where necessary hyperacusis management.

Various treatments can be very helpful and come in the form of: Medication, counselling, sound therapy and relaxation exercises. By far one of the most important things that will help a person to habituate and to carry on with their life is their mindset. It is essential to have a positive outlook on life because failure to do this and focus on negativity can be detrimental to this process. I am not saying never to feel negative but one has to try not to make negativity become all consuming.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-for-26-years.16675/#post-470580
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acquiring-a-positive-mindset.23969/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-and-the-negative-mindset.23705/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-experience-with-tinnitus.12076/

• Like Like x 2
    5. JudyM
      Frustrated

JudyM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I cannot found a link online to this device "Tackler". Can you please tell me where it was purchased? Thanks