Tinnitus for 8 Months Now, Mostly Habituated — I Still Feel Like It All Sucks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tezcatlipoca, Mar 1, 2021.

?

NIHL from headphones: Do you think I have good chances to recover to the "quiet room stage"?

1. Yes

2. No

3. No way to know

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

My tinnitus started on June 29th 2020. Since then I've been reading this forum to feel like I wasn't so alone.

I'd say I'm good now, no more panic attacks and I've accepted my fate.

Hopefully some of the new drugs in the pipeline gives us some relief, any amount, we are due for a break.

I can always talk if someone needs/wants to, just DM me.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are making good progress. Tinnitus can take up to two years to habituate. If your tinnitus was caused by exposure to loud noise. I advise you not to use headphones, earbuds or headsets even at low volume.

• Like Like x 1
    3. arcanesystem
      Disappointed

arcanesystem Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown; Possibly noise-induced
      I voted 'yes' above because though some may disagree, I believe that if you protect your ears as well as your health, at some point you will at least be able to habituate and become comfortable being in a silent room. The fact that you no longer have panic attacks is a sign of great progress. I'm sure you'll get there.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

@Michael Leigh, thanks Michael, no more headphones as long as I'm alive. I've been making some progress very very slowly, since I don't expose myself to loud noise of any type.

The tinnitus is less reactive and loud than what it used to be.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

I got tinnitus some 8 months ago. I immediately found this forum (yet didn't join) and became anxious after everyone seemed to be talking about how their hyperacusis was so debilitating. I braced myself and waited but the beast never came.

Does anyone might know why I didn't develop hyperacusis? I got tinnitus from headphone use. I'm a 23-year-old man.

6. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Most people who get tinnitus don't get hyperacusis. So it's not surprising you didn't get hyperacusis.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Thanks, I already feel pretty comfortable being in a silent room, I've found I make better progress/have less spikes if I am in a silent environment.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Oh I didn't know that, lucky me I guess, that sucks for the few that do get hyperacusis.

9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you keep to your word and never ever use headphones, earbuds, headsets again even at low volume, keep away from loud sounds from speakers at home, clubs, concerts even when wearing earplugs, I am confident you will make a very good recovery. It is quite possible for your tinnitus to reduce to a very low level and what you call reactiveness will eventually go away. Click on the links below and read my posts.

Take care you will be fine just give it time.
      Michael

Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
      Hyperacusis, As I See It | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Thanks for the kind words and advice @Michael Leigh, I've kept to my word and I'll continue to do so, I do hope to achieve the "very low level" tinnitus, even if it takes me years. Your assurance means a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It won't take years so don't worry, you'll be fine... take care...

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      I feel like I am habituating, but like this post title says, it still sucks.

My tinnitus came on suddenly overnight. Before that absolute silence for all my life.

It's hard to let go of wanting that back. The sudden start of my tinnitus made it a real shock. The first months were absolute torture. Now six months in I don't have constant panic and I cope. That's why I feel on the path to habituation.

Is the tinnitus actually quieter? Hard to say, but I don't perceive it constantly now. Still hard though because while I want to habituate, I really want my old ears back. It's hard to see myself being back to normal with the noise. It still makes life much less enjoyable even though I am learning to deal with it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did get back to normal and my life is not better or worse because of my tinnitus. At first, it took away my ability to enjoy life for a while and back then I thought that I would have to get used to living a less enjoyable life for the rest of my life. But once my brain got more and more used to my tinnitus noise, it just stopped having an influence on how I feel.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Gman45

Gman45 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/13/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concussion or ETD
      @cruise, how long did it take before you habituated? Do you go days without thinking about your tinnitus? Do you feel like your tinnitus is quieter as a result of the habituation?

Your ability to cope and move on in spite of tinnitus is inspiring.

• Like Like x 1
    15. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It took about 4 months before I started feeling confident that I would habituate, which was a huge milestone. It was also then that the sleeping problems went away. But the overall process was very non-linear so it is hard to say. So if I would have to pinpoint a timeframe, it would be around 1 year. Yes, I go days without thinking about it. But what is more important, that when I think of my tinnitus, there is no link to how I feel. My tinnitus sound is not linked to my emotion so even if I think about my tinnitus 10 times in one day or not at all, my day would be the same.

Regarding the sound / volume / loudness, it is hard to say. I no longer monitor this so I would not know if it is now quieter than before. One thing that I experienced from the start was that my anxiety level was not related to the volume. My anxiety was caused by the fear of hearing tinnitus, not by hearing tinnitus itself. So even if it was low, I would have the fear of the sound going up. But when it was high, my fear was less because I knew it would go down again. Now that I no longer experience the fear and anxiety, the difference in loudness does not matter anymore.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please help.

I’ve had tinnitus for 26 years and I was habituated.

However, I had a total hysterectomy and 4 weeks post op my tinnitus spiked in my right ear. The spike has lasted for a month now.

So I went to TJ Maxx today and an intermittent alarm went off while in the store. I had my moulded custm earplugs in but I’ve come home so upset. I’m scared and anxious it will make my tinnitus even worse.

I know I’m dealing with a lot at the moment x

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      If you had hearing protection in when the alarm went off, then you are not going to have done any harm to your ears.

18. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much for your reply.

I got myself worked up.

I am so grateful you got in touch.

How long have you had tinnitus for?

19. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Hi @Eleanor89,

I'm pleased to hear my post helped you feel less anxious.

In all seriousness, don't give yourself a hard time about getting "worked up", as you say.

All of us who suffer with this condition to a significant degree, will experience fear and distress every now and then throughout our time with it (and anyone who says they haven't or wont -is in my opinion- lying and/or delusional).
      I've had tinnitus now for a total of 18 years, but only 12 years to a level that's reduced my quality of life.

I developed my problematic tinnitus just 3 months before my 22nd birthday; so it's pretty much f*cked up my best years :sour:.

20. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, that is so young.

Mine started at 29 whilst going through a divorce. It was horrendous, I was given Prozac and it truly saved my life.

I am now 56 and like you over the years I have missed out on such a lot. Wearing earplugs to family parties etc or totally avoiding things. Over the years it crept into the background although like you, I always knew it was there.

My operation was complicated and lasted 4.5 hours, I am lucky as I know there’s a lot of people out there waiting for their treatments, I guess it was the perfect storm for it to visit me again.

It’s lovely talking to someone about it, all those years ago I had no one, and felt very much alone.

I am determined to boss it again, but I am exhausted post-op and my head's not in the right place to tackle it full on. I’m back at work in five weeks.

I’m a psychotherapist, so I shall be having a word with myself...

Trying to keep busy is difficult because I’m in pain physically after moving around, while my body heals. Mentally last year I was pushed to the limits for a year with pain and now this. How do you manage…

I can’t believe there are so many people with this debilitating illness. I truly understand where you are with this, and how you feel…

• Like Like x 1
    21. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello, I forgot to mention that I had read on the forum about tinnitus spikes. I had never heard this term before and it petrified me after the alarm episode…

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 1