Tinnitus from Acoustic Neuroma

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by K Friday, Feb 25, 2018.

1. K Friday

K Friday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular schwannoma
      I've had tinnitus for about a month now. I woke up one day and could hardly hear out of my right ear. It felt completely clogged and it was ringing....loudly.

I was put on a round of prednisone and everything calmed down a bit. I have lost some hearing but not alot at this point.

The tinnitus is tolerable right now. It sounds like a low buzzing and sometimes a high pitch whistle. I am meeting with the gamma knife doc in a week to discuss the procedure for the acoustic neuroma.

Just wondering about other people's experience with it. Was your hearing preserved? Tinnitus any different afterwards? How was recovery?

My anxiety about this is really high.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. i don't have this condition but it has been discussed much in the past. perhaps you can search this by clicking 'Forum' at the top left, then type acoustic neuroma to see many prior discussions. Good luck. Take care. God bless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. mel82

mel82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 20 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic neuroma
      Hi K Friday, I was just diagnosed with acoustic neuroma last month. I have lost 65% of my hearing in my right ear. Im wait and watch right now but I'm probably going to do the operation.How big is your tumor mine is 18mm. My tinnitus sounds just like yours. My doctor told me with surgery my hearing will not be preserved with the radiation it might be good for 6 months and you can loss it or it might be fine.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      K Friday

K Friday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular schwannoma
      Hi Mel82. My AN is 8mm. I had gamma knife on April 23. The doctor told me that I could resume norm activities the next day. Well, I didnt do well with it. I was off balance, had double vision, EXTREME fatigue....like i had to sleep every 20 mins. Then the vomiting started. I ended up in the ER bc it eas so severe. I was given steroids through a port in my arm and some to take at home. After two weeks, I was well enough to return to work. I have only recently began to feel normal. Doctor's say that it was due to inflammation/swelling. My experience is not normal but I want to share. My tinnitus is better. My hearing was worse directly after the procedure but is now better....back to what it was pre-surgery. Now, i will have ir checked in 6mths then yearly. Which surgery will u have?

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Sounds like good results! Better T and no deterioration of hearing is thumbs up!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      K Friday

K Friday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vestibular schwannoma
      Update: It's been a little over 3 months. I am barely able to hear out of the ear. I have these moments of feeling weird and disoriented. Food doesn't taste the same and my tongue had s strange numbing sensation....but it's not actually numb. I've also had slight twitching in my face. And the tinnitus is worse. I regret having the surgery. I wish now that I had just opted to watch and only do surgery when absolutely necessary. I would have had my hearing a little longer, would have not been dealing with this other stuff and would not be walking around scared of what else may come.

• Hug Hug x 2