Tinnitus from Acoustic Trauma Is Brain Damage... What Are You Doing to Treat It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Layla23, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Layla23
      Bookworm

Layla23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bars/nightclubs/MRI
      Hey everyone.

I had tinnitus for a year and then suddenly 3 months ago I developed reactive tinnitus, hyperacusis, brain zaps, exploding head syndrome, eye floaters, visual snow, seeing flashing white lights while waking up, among other symptoms. I thought I was the only one and it turns out there’s so MANY of us experiencing these other non-ear symptoms... and we all merely had severe acoustic traumas.

Did you know that 60 PERCENT of people with visual snow have bilateral tinnitus?!?

It has never been more clear to me than now that once tinnitus becomes brain tinnitus instead of just good old ear tinnitus... it’s now brain damage.

Are we really supposed to just let symptoms progress?! I mean don’t people with traumatic brain injuries get treatment? Aren’t we considered as suffering from TBI’s? The diplomats in Cuba that got attacked with sound and later suffered tinnitus were treated medically as having traumatic brain injuries.

Am I missing something here? Should I be getting treatments to prevent more damage? I don’t see people really talking about this.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      I'm trying DIY gene therapy to induce regeneration of my cochlear stereocilia by ingesting large quantities of curcumin. So far, no real tangible objective results going into week 3. I may be just flat out stupid to think this will work.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Good question.

• Agree Agree x 4
    4. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      @Layla23, Have you visited an ophthalmologist regarding the visual symptoms? I had floaters and received laser treatment for vitreous detachment, which is very common in poeple over 50. This was in 2016, about 1.5 years before my tinnitus (which is bilateral) started, but I'd had ear fullness and sporadic other problems with my ears and hearing for over 30 years. I currently have hyperacusis and some other symptoms you mentioned, as well.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    5. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      The main problem is that the medical community as a whole could care less about Tinnitus and most so called medical professionals only know of tinnitus from watching/sleeping through a boring a 15 minute video from med school.
      Another problem is the fact, that there is more money to be made from selling antidepressants and various coping schemes, than selling a one time cure.

I'm pretty sure the know how is out there, but it's not being used to benefit mankind...on the contrary.
      Anyone who remembers the Delgado bull experiment from 1963 must realize, that if back then they had the brain mapped out to the point of being able to stop an angry charging bull via remote, induce any emotion from rage to euphoria and move people's limbs against their will, just imagine what we can do now over 50 years later.

Accounting for the natural progression, I'm pretty sure that there are classified government projects out there, in which the human subjects can be "downloaded" with any visual images or AUDIO sounds right along with the "right" thoughts.
      Yet they say they can't cure tinnitus...right.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      I think you might have better luck experimenting with fasting and firing up stem cell production. There are threads about it. Or do both.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      After I got a second acoustic trauma from the vemp. I developed all of those conditions. I have visual snow, dark eye floaters, entopic phenomenon, starbursts, etc
      Tinnitus damages the sensory part of the brain.

8. Wolfears

Wolfears Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 20/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely accoustic trauma
      It would be actually interesting to see Tinnitus stats from countries, where fasting is widely practiced due to religious reasons.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Are you sure, that your cochlear stereocilia are damaged?

10. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nope. I only suspect it. I also suspect I may have some kind of nervous system damage, inflammation. I was taking ototoxic drugs and playing very very loud music.

11. EarHair

EarHair Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012 worsened Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts and TMJ and genetics (Mom, Grandpa have it)
      I suspect it is like how American Football players, Hockey players, Boxers, etc. get CTE and post concussion syndrome from head hits, tinnitus forms from too many ear hits. Every concert, gun shot, firecracker somehow messes the brain and after dozens and hundreds of events (or a handful or even one big one) you develop tinnitus.

I think I read a study a while back where they exposed rats to extremely loud noises and there were literally lesions on the brain compared to the ones that weren't.

Just be as safe as possible with future exposure. With way I got mine, dozens of concerts I think, I really don't think there will be a cure for me. Luckily mine has settled a bit and I've habituated a bit more from my January uptick but no more chances for me.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Time again to remember the amount of money spent in the USA to pay to veterans who return from Afghanistan, Syria, etc with disabling tinnitus. A non-stop growing amount. Maybe your personal ENT doesnt give a shit about your T but more relevant scientist do care about figuring out a treatment or a cure. And they are fueled with the US need of stop spending giantic sums of money in disability payments.

13. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      But tinnitus doesn't count as a disability in some states in the USA, unless in extreme and exceptional cases.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I think we are all disabled.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have had tinnitus now for almost 5 years caused by barotrauma plus a bad drug combo. I did suffer quite a bit of high frequency hearing loss in the process, but why did this cause tinnitus?

There are people that have become deafened and have no tinnitus. I realize that you have to have some form of hearing loss to have tinnitus (most the time), but you can also have no tinnitus with massive hearing loss. Obviously the brain of a tinnitus sufferer has a some kind of susceptiblity in this regard?

For me, I loose hearing and my brain goes haywire. Is this due to previous brain injuries ? I have a long history of concussions, maybe my brain (at some point) has lost its ability to reorganize itself when changes like hearing loss appear?

I had never experienced a serious acoustic trauma (that I know of) until about 5 weeks ago. I did not have the proper hearing protection on, was exposed to around 105-120db for about 40 min.

I honestly feel as though my cognitive ability has seriously declined since that day, I guess this could be stress maybe. But, I left the event with a serious headache (still have), tinnitus increase 10 fold (calmed to about 3x), messed up blurry vision (still have), no memory of getting home that day, severe memory problems (still have).

Long story short, I feel exactly like I’ve been physically struck in the head from this noise event, how is that possible? I should have maybe followed the concussion protocol and sat in a dark quiet room, maybe we should all have done this?

I’ve watched interviews with hockey players saying that they had ringing in their ears, sensitivity to noise and light for weeks after a blow to the head. They had to sit in a quiet room with no stimulation for weeks until it went away. I actually posted about this a few years back, why I didn’t think of this after my recent acoustic trauma I don’t know. I went home and got drunk, used headphones, had blasting crickets and white noise all night as I could barely hear.

Im also wondering if the brain can heal over time, my original tinnitus had no improvement for 4 years, until I cleaned up my lifestyle, tried a couple of fasts, and saw about a 50 percent reduction. I thought that maybe this was habituation finally, but I was clearly able to mask my tinnitus, where in the past it was almost unmaskable. Also, the brain tinnitus (bouncing around my head, eye zaps) disappeared completely.

Maybe people are mistaking habituation for a actual lowering in volume? This could be very easy to do, maybe time heals, brain heals. I am hoping this is the case. If not, and it’s all because of the ear, well I’m just screwed.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My mother has great hearing loss but she does not have tinnitus.
      There are about 50% people with hearing problem but do not have tinnitus.
      We are the unlucky the other half. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    17. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Maybe has something with how fast the hearing loss occurs, small amounts at a time and the brain adjusts itself, large amounts maybe harder to reconfigure properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. MuffinMan
      Alienated

MuffinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, started the moment I woke up from a nightmare.
      "Did you know that 60 PERCENT of people with visual snow have bilateral tinnitus?!?"

This new to me, I hope I won't get that too.

My sister has the visual snow though but no T.

My father has visual snow too but no T.

And my brother has a bilateral T.

My mother claims to have a very mild T

While I have an unilateral T.

Hmm, a genetic predisposition?

19. Liam_Cairns

Liam_Cairns Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Originally loud Music and was worsened by Micro-suction
      I've heard this from my ent, he said all the people with severe sound induced tinnitus he has come across, have had it from incredibly loud impulse noise or super loud clubs.

20. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      this.