Tinnitus from Biaxin (Antibiotic)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Johnny Naro, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Johnny Naro

Johnny Naro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 7th
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotic Biaxin side effect
      Hey everyone,

This is my first post here and hoping to get some help.

I've had tinnitus now for 2 weeks after taking Biaxin for a sinus Infection. At times I've felt like I wanted to kill myself.

It is so difficult to sleep and when I wake up in the middle of the night, it's even harder to fall asleep. Apparently a side effect of Biaxin is tinnitus. It could be temporary or permanent.

My Mom and brother both suffer from it. I'm 26 and feel like my life is over and have nothing to live for and just going through the motions of life. I'm so stressed, no drive and I'm a musician so tinnitus is the wrong thing to have. I'm hoping that the tinnitus will go down after the drug wears off.

I got the t a week into my antibiotic. I finished the prescription a week afte that and have been off the drug for a week and still have the ringing.

Never take Biaxin or anything ending in mycin because its damaging to your ears. Please someone respond to me and tell me everything's gonna be okay. I'm so scared, praying to god every night to make it go away and I'm sure my girlfriend is sick of hearing about my t.

I'm crying almost every day and I just want it to go away thanks everyone for listening.

2. LukeYoung
      Frantic

LukeYoung Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud Concert - Noise Exposure
      The thing with drug is induced Tinnitus is that it may very well go away have you finish your course and it goes out of your system, or it could stay, but just know if it is permanent we will be here to give advice!

In the mean time try masking with nature sounds.

rain is good white noise for me!

Hope it gets better soon.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Johnny Naro

Johnny Naro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 7th
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotic Biaxin side effect
      Can anyone else share some info? I'm very scared that this won't go away and my anxiety is through the roof and I feel like I wanna harm myself.

4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum and sorry for your suffering. As bad as you feel now, it is quite typical and normal response among many new tinnitus sufferers. I was like you and a lot worse as I had both ultra high pitch tinnitus (T) plus severe hyperacusis (H). It is very typical when T is new and suffering is intense with no solution in sight that the tired and stressed out mind will send out the suicidal thoughts. If you read the success stories, you will sense that many members who have gotten better have had suicide ideations during their worst time. But they do get better after they allow their body some time to heal and especially after following some strategies. I was in a mess initially too with relentless anxiety and panic attacks besides my severe T & H, and with prior history of suffering PTSD plus anxiety and panic disorder when T & H showed up the door. Life was so hopeless in those days. I never thought I would recover and the future looked so bleak back then. But never say never. Today I do just that and live a normal, productive, fulfilling and absolutely enjoyable life. I am enjoying life to the fullness and will be vacationing to the Orient in a few days. What bleak future? I wrote my success success story like others do and share some helpful insights/strategies that have helped me turned around the suffering. Check it out below and try read as many other success stories as you can to give you hope and to calm your nerves, which can help calm your T too. Don't despair nor give up. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

Here is the most read success story by a music lover too with a effective method:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

5. Patch101
      Grumpy

Patch101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise & Antibiotic mix, yay
      I had mine from exactly this mixed with pain killers for a period of 7 days (out of the 10 I suppose to take).
      Mines bad, and has probably gotten worse more than better. You'd be suprised what's ototoxic out there. Hell, any over the counter pain relief is also ototoxic too! Anyways, learn from this, and I can also garantee that you will get used to it. It takes a couple months but soon it'll be like a fan running the background that you won't notice much anymore. " Try not to focus on it, keep things on around the house, music or tv and move on. If it bugs ya going to sleep get tinnitus apps and play something while you sleep (oddly I think my T helps me go to sleep better)

6. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      Yep, it does surprise you :(

I can't sleep without any noise, T is just too distracting.

7. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      There is a very good chance it will subside or go away. However, you have to realize now that your ears need all the rest they can get at the moment. This is so they can try and mitigate the damage that was done.

I would suggest that you go VERY easy on the decibels for a few months (especially after you see improvement). So no headphones, loud music, bars, clubs etc. watch out with dentist too. Once you see improvement you can try and reintroduce louder sounds. Be aware that this can trigger something. So just go very slow, and remember to use protection (earplugs) from now on whenever you go somewhere loud.

8. Patch101
      Grumpy

Patch101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise & Antibiotic mix, yay
      I actually somehow sleep better. I think because I'm a little ADHD and I tend to think to much in bed and that keeps me awake. Actually focusing in on the noise helps me sleep better. Weird right?

Bugs me most in the evening, kids go to bed, I'm trying to think but can't have noise on.
      Hiiiiiiiissssssssssssssssssssssssss.............

9. Edward Mc

Edward Mc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Biaxin
      New to the site but have had severe Tinnitus since taking Biaxin (spell?) for an ear infection in 2009. My job has loud noises and the combination of the decibels and the antibiotic inured my right ear/head. I never had ear problems prior and never really thought about it. The first year was terrifying. I would lay my head on my wife's lap and cry from the noise. 9 years later she asks, "how is the ringing in your ears?" I have to pause and answer on a scale of 1-10. Sometimes it's a 8 and I still don't hear it until she mentions it. I have just accepted it as part of who I am. Like a close friend. I tell her that it reminds me that I'm alive! The trick is not to fight it. Accept it. Receive it. It's part of you. you might as well. In my case it hasn't lessened a bit, but it really never bothers me. Remember, it's all in you head....literally.....