Tinnitus from Conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AnonymousHamster, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Hello,

My name is John.

I was taking care of my son when he had double pink eye. I of course caught it shortly after. On Monday the 17th of October I woke up to a fullness in my ear. On the 18th of October I developed tinnitus in my left ear. I went to my doctor the following day where he stated that there was fluid behind my ear drum as was evident by the pressure on it. I was told to take Flonase and some other OTC I cannot recall for 2 weeks. The sound was maddening so I returned the next week. He said there was still fluid behind the ear and that my ear drum look agitated. This time he prescribed me an antibiotic, Omnaris (Ciclesonide), and Betahistine. As well as a very small 1 mg dosage of a benzo for my panic attacks from the volume and fear.

I can't recall which day, but on the weekend of the 30th of October I woke up to no noise! I even plugged my ears and checked. I was so happy. I teared up. Within 15 minutes the noise was back.

On November 3rd I woke up and it was still there, but not as bad. Well, at least I don't think it was. By the afternoon it was nearly gone! I couldn't believe it. I was chatty at work. Smiling. Picked up my son from daycare and by the evening it had returned. But again, not as bad. However, the following days it was back to normal. Which made me quite sad of course.

Fast forward to today, November 6th. I woke up a few times in the night and heard it. But when I woke up for the final time it was gone! If it was there, it was so quiet I couldn't find it. Again, I plugged my ears and checked. It wasn't to last. I had laid down and talked with my wife for a bit and it came roaring back.

So that is where I am today!

This past week I visited my doctor for a third time. I am to see an audiologist and then an ENT. He said my ear drum looked fine and he could tell SOME fluid had drained but some still remained.

Would me having a few minutes of silence for two mornings, and one day where it almost entirely went away in the afternoon this past week be a good sign of it healing? Currently my tinnitus is bothering me. But I don't think it's the same volume as the first week. Or I have somehow already learned not to lose my mind lol.

Like most of you, I am struggling. Anyway, that is where I am at! Thanks!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I would say it is a good sign that you have had silent episodes and maybe it is healing.

Most of us - like me - have had continual tinnitus since day one with no breaks. I sometimes wake in the night and it is a very low level but is still there and when I wake in the morning it is usually screaming.

You also have a potential cause - fluid behind the ear - if this drains, it may stop the tinnitus.

In my case I have no fluid behind the ear and no obvious cause so nothing to treat - your position is better so jeep optimistic and hope it clears.

Keep us posted.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Welcome @AnonymousHamster. I agree with @Stuart-T, since you have a likely cause, it gives you a direction on how to heal. I wanted to mention that my tinnitus is quite variable--some days absent, other days present. I'm on my 7th month now since onset, and it's gotten better (more absent days) but I still do get the loud days. My cause is likely fluid-related too (though perhaps not in my ear, not sure yet).

A couple of things I wanted to mention is that ear issues can take a while to resolve. Second is that you can get a lot better at coping with it while it's here. I used to be crazy anxious and depressed, now I don't let it phase me much at all (still can get annoying on the loud days, but I can ignore it more often).

I'm happy to chat about your variability and how it compares with mine and the rollercoaster of emotions that come along with that experience. I know that feeling of elation followed by dismay and uncertainty quite well.

Stay positive and know that it'll get better or you will get better or both.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Thanks guys.

I had more variation last night again. When I woke up a few times, it was much louder than when I finally got out of bed. After a shower it increased some. Then it settled it again. It's really all over the place.

The one positive I have noted for 2 days now is loud noises are not bothering me as much anymore. It used to be I had to cover my ear and even get away from my yelling/screaming toddler. Yesterday I was so happy to be able to remain in the room. I was even able to play with him which was the best part of the past 3 weeks.

Thanks for sharing Stuart. I, like most here really needed the positivity. I've read if it's COVID-19 related like I believe yours is (looking under profile image) than there is a good chance it heals in time. I really hope it does too!

And Joe, I am happy to hear that yours sounds like it's starting to go away too. While I have kept hope alive that it will go away entirely, I have read a lot of threads here about getting used to it. I am nowhere near that but I am trying to use others' experiences to cope. It's usually not nearly as loud as the first and second week so I guess I have that going for me! May I ask when you first started to notice improvement?

Just want to say thanks again guys. I appreciate the responses so much. Makes me feel less alone.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey there @AnonymousHamster, glad to hear it's not as loud as your first couple of weeks. That does sound positive. And getting to play with your toddler, that's great. It's often the case that the first couple of months are the most difficult, so you're already off to a good start.

Sure, feel free to ask me anything. I'll try my best to respond. Mine didn't get noticeably better until into the 4th month. It took that long for me partly because, about 2 months in, I contracted COVID-19, which really messed with my tinnitus for a long while.

The first 4 months was complete chaos for me. I didn't cope well with anxiety, depression set in, and I went through a whole suicidal ideation phase. So about a month in, I started taking anti-depression/anti-anxiety meds. The meds really helped me stabilize my mood. But the thing that made me turn the corner was CBT/DBT training and therapy. I did a whole bunch of other things too, but these were the main things that turned me around. Rather than fight my tinnitus, I started to accept it. With acceptance came lower anxiety, better sleep. Plus I started exercising, watching what I ate, and saw a slue of doctors and therapists. At 4 months, I started getting more good days. And sometimes I can get a bad day to turn into a good day with some tricks I've learned.

At 7 months in, I'm now tapering off of my meds and I understand my tinnitus's patterns quite a bit more. My main factor is my neck area near my right ear (my bad ear). My current suspicion is that some fluid is getting blocked up. I can get into why I think that if you want to compare notes, but it's the one theory that fits my observations the most.
      Sure thing, we're all in this together. By the way, is your tinnitus somatic? Can you change the pitch or volume by moving your neck or jaw?

• Like Like x 4
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Yesterday was the best day yet. There were periods where I even assumed it was gone for a bit. It did come back in the evening. Usually it remains the same or gets worse as I sleep. But last night it was better. It is now louder though.

And yes, when I clench my jaw I can make it a little louder. Same with pushing it forward like an underbite. Side to side seems to do something.

Overall my tinnitus is still improved from the first week. It still stresses me out. Especially since it's a bit louder again today (still not as bad as the first week).

I get a lot of cracking when flexing/yawning. ETD maybe? I dunno. But inhaling steam seems to help even if not immediately. Sometimes after I inhale steam I can blow my nose and it gently pops my ear. This doesn't happen before steaming. I also get these gently pops or bubbles in my problem ear too. Feels like something moving around.

• Like Like x 2
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

It's now loud and I'm having issues controlling my emotions. Not sure why it's spiking at all. Nothing happened or changed today.

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @AnonymousHamster -- I'd suggest trying to think of the most relaxing thing that you can do for yourself--and then do it. One guy on this forum, @Jazzer, regularly takes hot baths, and as I recall, sends him into sort of a meditative state, which helps him relax (and I assume help him control his emotions).

There are many things a person can do to calm themselves, and they range from techniques that are physical, emotional, spiritual, etc. I do a lot of self-massage and acupuncture around my ears, and it seems to settle down both my ears and my psyche. But everybody has to find what works best for them.

A good number of things will usually work to one degree or another. The below linked (excellent) article talks extensively about the topic of calming and taking care of ourselves. I wish I'd run across it shortly after my initial onset of tinnitus 4+ years ago. -- All the Best!

Look After Yourself Properly and Your Tinnitus Will Take Care of Itself

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hang in there @AnonymousHamster, when it's so new, it can be challenging to understand its patterns and what might cause it to spike. It can take a while before you see how yours reacts to various things. Often, noise is a trigger. Stress and lack of sleep often are too. Sometimes it's what you're eating, like salt or caffeine. One of my triggers is tight neck muscles. I learned that I have to stretch (but not over stretch!) regularly.

I'm not sure if you're catastrophizing about anything, like imagining the worst possible outcomes, but it's best to remember that very often it's not that extreme. It's better to just be in the present and learn and be patient and kind to yourself. Focus on what you can try to make better, like diet, exercise, and sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Thanks for the response guys. I am not sure what set it off. I have been keeping a journal on my phone and nothing really different happened. This morning I was brought to tears as it's still really bad. It did improve some before I went to sleep which is the opposite of what it has done every other night. That is a first! It got quieter and it made it easier to fall asleep. My sleep wasn't great, but it wasn't because of the tinnitus.

I am making things worse in my head for sure. Despite the chances of this being temporary, I keep getting the fear that this is permanent and I will never be able to relax again. But you know what? That really makes no sense seeing as I've already started to have fluctuations. It's just really hard to have a great day and then have it go backwards so much. In 3 weeks I have had 2 really great days where I had several hours or more of near silence (and maybe a bit of silence without knowing) and I have even had 2 mornings with a few minutes of actual silence. But when that sound comes roaring in, it sets me back emotionally.

I'm going to try and be positive as suggested.

Here is what I have been doing and the results. I think writing them down might make me feel better.

What I have been doing:

- Working on posture
      - Taking my Betahistine 3x daily
      - Saline 3x daily
      - Omnaris 1x daily
      - Turmeric under the tongue 2-3x daily (depends on work)
      - Inhaling steam with eucalyptus in the water, with vapo rub around my nostrils 2-3x daily (more when I can)
      - Trying to sleep on my back (not super successful)

The positives so far:

- 1 afternoon where it nearly disappeared, or maybe it did for a bit
      - Nearly a full day of it being very, very low and super easy to forget (I got to play with my son without issue!)
      - A few days where it fluctuated to a sort of hissing (still somewhat high pitched)
      - 2 mornings with 3 minutes of silence
      - 1 evening where it got quieter instead of louder
      - My ear is no longer as sensitive to loud noises either

All those positives have been within the last week and a half (or less). Before that it was just a CONSTANT ring. I hit 3 weeks yesterday. This tells me that I shouldn't be so upset and that I am on the road to recovery. But I just feel so mentally weak dealing with this. The posts here certainly do help some though.

Thanks again guys for chatting and sharing with me. I will take your advice on calming, dieting, etc.

• Like Like x 3
    11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Joe Cuber -- I've dealt with serious neck issues for many years, and have discovered many things that have helped (mostly alternative). One thing I do is a reflexology technique involving TOE TWIRLING that works remarkably well for breaking up pain, tightness and tension in my neck. I gave a pretty in-depth description of this technique at the above link. It may sound odd (it did to me at first), but it does the trick for me. -- All the Best...

• Like Like x 2
    12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @AnonymousHamster -- One thing you should be aware of is that once a person has tinnitus, their ears can become very susceptible to all kinds of drugs that have the potential to cause problems. I've never heard of Betahistine before, but it looks like it's used to treat Meniere's, and/or vertigo. I've been able to control my chronic vertigo issues by doing a few acupuncture needles on myself, and get a remarkable amount of relief.

I see you may also be using a steroid nasal spray. These can also cause issues, and could be a factor in your current tinnitus cycling. I've been able to keep my own sinuses clear by nebulizing various natural compounds that don't have any potential to negatively affect my ears. In short, when a person has tinnitus, literally everything needs to be looked at that may have caused tinnitus in the first place, or is hindering things from improving.

One very positive thing about your situation is that you already have at least brief periods of significant improvement. That you are able to achieve this at this early stage tells me your prognosis is better than good; I would consider it excellent. Most improvement stories take place over months or years. I didn't start getting consistent improvement over my original onset tinnitus until I was in my third year.

Take care!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Thank you so very much for the positivity. I greatly appreciate it. It really means a lot!

In regards to Betahistine, I looked it up in relation to tinnitus. Studies that I read show that it thankfully has no impact on tinnitus at all. I read it may help speed up the fluid drainage though due to increased blood flow! I also want to share that after a week of taking Betahistine and Omnaris is when I saw improvement. However, that is around the time I also started inhaling steam with eucalyptus oil and vapo under my nose. I've also been drinking an "all green" drink for a boost since for awhile my appetite was bad. Lost over 10 lbs in two weeks which was very much needed lol. But wasn't a healthy way to go about it.

Back to the Betahistine. So I've been journaling and I haven't noticed it directly improving or making my tinnitus worse within several hours of taking it. So my assumption is that I would have to be off it for a bit rather than over night and delaying the first dosage to really notice. Same with Omnaris. In fact, last night, hours after I took it, my tinnitus calmed down a bit. I don't think it's related. I was already planning to just use up what I've currently got and taking a break. I have a refill of each. I figure I'd try at least 2 to 3 days without. Not enough to set me back, but maybe enough to give me an idea on how it's helping or not. Not sure if that's enough time.

I don't want to stop taking either right now as sadly I just got a bad cold :(

Lastly, I only had vertigo for about 2 or 3 days at the start which is before I started taking the prescriptions. Just wanted to share that. It was thankfully one of the first to go.

As I write this I am ill in bed. Been getting the chills! Your post with its advice and outlook on my outcome was just what I needed right now. I'm going to try and relax, take a benzo (1 mg Lorazepam which I take max 2x a day) and get some rest. I feel like I'm already kicking this cold's arse and the positivity certainly helps.

Enough about me lol. How are you doing now a days? You mentioned it took awhile to see improvements. May I ask how they started to show up? I know our situations are different so I'm not trying to compare. I sincerely hope you continue seeing improvements if there is room for it!

Thanks again for the boost.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey thanks @Lane! I'll give it a try. I've done stranger things, believe you me :p

• Like Like x 3
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

I had a fever last night. Super sick. Weird thing is my tinnitus spiked a few times which I handled very well. I didn't sleep much last night and I noticed a couple times the tinnitus was super quiet! It's back this morning but very high pitched and lower volume. Never seems to be the same.

Also, good luck on the toe twirling Joe!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yours seems quite variable. One thing I tried to pay attention to is my sleeping position. I've noticed my sleeping position affects whether my tinnitus is loud the next day.

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

It wasn't variable at all for the first couple weeks. It was just constant morning, noon and night. Yesterday it was great for a bit. No silence. But as I tried to sleep off my cold/flu, it came roaring back. It made sleep VERY difficult.

I've already been trying many different positions too. Side, arms in different place. On back. Propped up differently. I tried sleeping up but I just can't.

The only thing keeping me going right now are some of the positive posts in the success stories category and people like you responding. I'm so depressed. I've bookmarked posts from unlucky_eli since it sounds like he had very similar symptoms (if not worse due to pain), and also Rick Garner. It gives me some hope.

It's just so crazy to me that all this started just from conjunctivitis. Like, I was sick with it for a few days. As soon as I started to feel better, my ear clogs up and then the next day I have tinnitus. Crazy! It'll be 1 month this coming Tuesday. I just keep reminding myself it was only just last week on the 3rd I started seeing significant changes.

Sorry if I am being too negative at all. I'm really trying here.

• Hug Hug x 2
    18. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey there @AnonymousHamster, you don't sound too negative to me. I understand the craziness you're going through. I think you're reacting quite well under the circumstances. I agree with not sleeping propped up. That could potentially aggravate things if posture is at all a factor.

Speaking of which, I meant to ask you how your posture is. I know you're targeting conjunctivitis as your likely cause, but I'm wondering whether posture is a main or singular cause.

I'm suggesting this because I've been focusing on how my posture relates to my variable tinnitus, and I'm finding that when I do certain stretches (over the course of weeks), it is correlated with having quiet days. I have pretty poor posture--the classic at-my-computer-too-much forward slouching (I have kyphosis in my mid-back) and years of forward-head posture. As I've been seeing a chiropractor and an osteopath, they're really helping me with ideas on how to correct my posture.

Anyway, just a thought. Sleep (and lack thereof), sleeping position, and day-time posture all collaborate in affecting the condition of neck muscles, lymphatic system, nerves, and ears. They're all bundled up right there near your ears.

• Like Like x 3
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Why yes, I have thought about posture. I made some adjustments at work to my monitor height and also keep better attention to my posture as I sit so much there.

I also tried sleeping on my back again. Didn't work out so well.

As mentioned previously, I got sick last week. It was still bothering me over the weekend so on Sunday I ditched the Betahistine and used Sudafed for the day (3x, just one pill instead of 2). It cleared a lot out. By the evening my volume was lower but this could be pure coincidence of course. When I woke up it wasn't as loud as the previous morning either. The snap crackle pop sound has basically disappeared as well (I believe it's ETD). The thing is, my ear does feel full. When I try to flex my jaw or crack it, it doesn't work anymore. Maybe a tiny bit. Instead now I feel a softer more muddled noise. I can get some tiny cracking noises here and there. The noise is more of a high pitched hiss today.

Today I get to see an ENT. I'm nervous because he has a lot of bad reviews. But he has been doing this since the 80s. So I guess that's a lot of time for them to build up and people love to complain but rarely praise. I had an audiologist appointment for today. He gave me so much great advice over the phone and also believes I have EDT. I had to reschedule that for the following Monday. The plan is to see the ENT and then talk to the audiologist (he has amazing reviews). That way if the ENT makes a suggestion I can get it backed up. If the two conflict, I'll be trying to see a second ENT.

Thanks for responding. Really brightens my day.

I'll keep note on my posture and update you.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Best of luck with the doctor visits. A friend of mine has fluctuating somatic tinnitus too, and his osteopath suggested he try Mucinex since his tinnitus seemed related to his sinuses. Well, he says it works for him. When he takes Mucinex, it quiets his tinnitus down. Trying to zero in on the factors is a big game of trial and error. I hope you find what works for you soon.

For me, correcting my posture wasn't enough on its own. I'm having to do purposeful stretches of my abdominal muscles like every 30 minutes (they are rather tight and pull me forward), and I try to massage my neck muscles while laying down for the night. Doing these seems to correlate with my having quiet days.

So, what happens when you lay on your back? Does your tinnitus act up? Laying on my left side causes mine to flare up (my bad ear is my right ear, and my osteopath says my left chest muscles are tight, so I'm all out of whack).

• Like Like x 2
    21. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Joe Cuber -- You may want to consider using an electronic massager to help with those abdominal muscles. I ran across a $35 Black and Decker Waxer/Polisher (for cars), and was stunned to see how many comments were left by people who used it as a massage tool (including professionals).

So when I got mine, I used it on my own body, and now use it for a few minutes every day on my body, mostly on my lower back, but also over every part of my body, including my abdominal area. I've found it especially helpful if I suspect I'm not going to be able to get to sleep. A 5-10 minute once over relaxes my entire body (and psyche). One of the best investments I ever made. (Who'd thunk it?)

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    22. 10Kcd

10Kcd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @AnonymousHamster - I'm just catching up on this thread, and want to chime in to concur the great insights and support that @Joe Cuber and @Lane have been offering.

The early stages of tinnitus can be maddening and disorienting, and can feel catastrophic - I'm sorry that you're in the throes of the ups and downs, though I'm glad that you've been reaching out regularly here to let others brighten your day and remind you that you're not alone.

I love the way you're trying things out to understand what's going on and what might help, and also happy to see that you've got medication that can keep you from falling too deeply into the scary and dark spiral of despair. I also want to prescribe plenty of rest, exercise, hydration, healthy food and spending quality time with that little one :)

Keep taking care of yourself - I'm wishing you deep, quiet healing!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are a fount of life hacks @Lane, that is a crazy cool idea. I'm LOL'ing imagining you using that thing all over your body. How do you manage to reach your lower back with that? And do you put the buffer pad on it?

• Like Like x 1
    24. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Joe Cuber -- It comes with a buffer pad, and I do leave it on when using it. I don't put on any wax however, lol! When doing my lower back, I grab the "massager" with both hands, one on each end. And then move it around. I'm able to even do my upper back fairly well doing that. I also use it on my rib area, which can be a bit problematic for me at times. Really helps keep those rib pains from flaring as often as they had been doing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have admit, I've picked up a trick or two along my journey. :) Here's a LINK to one of my favorite "hacks". Lol.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Hey guys,

I met with the ENT on Monday. He had horrible reviews and he lived up to them. He was pushy, arrogant, rude and tried to rush me out ASAP. He did not check my ear with a pneumatic otoscope. This is where they push a little air against your ear. Instead he used a regular one, then a device to quickly look up my nose. He said there were no signs of infections so I have to wait until the bacteria or virus clears itself out and all should go back to normal. He wouldn't give me a timeline. Now, before I saw him I was given a 10 minute hearing test. The lady who performed it was very nice. I expected the doctor to review it. He did not. I actually had to ask for the results as he was ushering me out. He took a quick look and said that my hearing was perfect, all normal. He did not ask me what medication I was taking, nor did he offer any to help clear it up. I brought up the Betahistine quickly and he said it was useless. Which I do believe.

So anyway, on Sunday I had already stopped taking Betahistine. I instead used Sudafed for the day (1 pill, 3x). I kept using my Omnaris as well. When it was time for bed I took 1 pill of generic Benadryl with Melatonin and a Lorazepam. Monday wasn't that great. Monday evening I took the same, but 2 pills of generic Benadryl instead. When I woke up at 5.30 am the noise was nearly gone! It was very hard to hear. Throughout the day it remained nearly silent. I could barely hear it at all. Just a tinny little EEEEeeeeeEEEEEeeee kinda pitch here and there. There were times it may have been gone entirely! I tried not to obsess, though I do admit I did check several times. The noise didn't come back until about 4 pm or so when I was taking out the trash at home. I had three warnings basically. It came back with an EEEEEE (like the regular kind a normal person hears). After the third one the ringing just stuck around. Also, I did not take ANY medicine the entire day until after 4 pm. Which is when I took 1 Sudafed and then the usual just before bed.

This morning it is still here. It's kind of a chirpy hissing noise now though. Volume is annoying. But it's not the constant loud ring I was used to, and dreading. Imagine something leaking air, but higher pitched. It's kinda like that. I remain quite hopeful that I am nearing the end. Also, the clicking is not nearly as bad as it has been for the past few weeks. The clicking was a sign of ETD according to an audiologist I spoke to over the phone, and the ENT in person. I am scheduled to see the audiologist in person on the Monday coming up. He was extremely kind and helpful over the phone. He was also aware of the ENT I was scheduled to see and didn't seem too impressed. The ENT is rated very poorly on rateMD.

@Joe Cuber, I have tried to work on posture more and more. Not sure if it's helping but it's a good habit to practice. My results are all over the place. Sometimes when I lay back it stays the same volume. Sometimes it gets louder. Same with how my head is positioned. I just never know! I will keep massaging my neck and correcting my posture from here on out regardless of outcome.

So today, I am feeling pretty positive despite having the noise return. Yesterday was the longest I had ever felt any relief. It was incredible. I sincerely hope that it's a good sign. When I asked my ENT about the days this has happened before, he just dismissed it. But again, as per his reviews that seems to be his thing.

• Like Like x 3
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

Thank you so much for the kind words!

I posted just above this a response that I had an awesome day yesterday. My positivity has remained much higher. Especially since today! Like sure, today it sucks because it's back, but I really think yesterday had to be a good sign. Positivity is important, and as you said, REST!

Hydration is also something I have vastly improved upon in the last couple weeks. I make a lot more bathroom visits than ever before lol. I will have to work on the healthier food. During the day it's no problem. It's when dinner comes that I fail myself. I've lost nearly 15 lbs since this started. Some of it from medication and stress, and the rest of dietary changes which I have now formed a habit of!

And just to repeat, yes the people here have been helping. It's an excellent resource if you steer away from the misery. Sometimes I look anyway just to offer words of encouragement because I know how much I need it from time to time.

If I hadn't missed so much work, I'd be donating to the site as a huge thank you. I really appreciate everyone here. I have many ups and downs emotionally. And this site certainly helps keep me based.

Thank you all! I hope that one day I get to share a success thread with everything I have learned. In the meantime I will keep updating here.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. 10Kcd

10Kcd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Yay - happy to hear your optimism, @AnonymousHamster.

We're here for your updates, regardless of whether they're to report a positive development or a challenging setback :)

• Like Like x 1
    29. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This really sounds to me like something physical is happening, like cervical, inflammation, fluid flow, cardiovascular, muscular.

• Like Like x 1
    30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnonymousHamster

AnonymousHamster Guest

It's a little quieter today. I tried extra hard to sleep on my back more. I was able to some. I feel humidity is helping me some. There are two things I have noticed.

The last time I had a really good day was after we took my son swimming. The noise disappeared for a couple hours the next afternoon. The humidity in the viewing gallery was 58. It was 58 again last night. Plus, I have been running my humidifier full tilt. It's just a theory but I am going to try it out. When the noise came back as I was taking out the garbage, I had been in an incredibly dry environment for some time. At that point, I was walking outside in windy 0 Celsius weather. I stay hydrated very well. And I do steam. I am now bringing my steamer to work. I used it 2x yesterday.

@Joe Cuber, I do believe inflammation is absolutely playing a role as well. Which does lend well to ETD (which the audiologist and ENT both believe it may be). I feel that is why my Sudafed (which has Ibuprofen in it) is helping too. Sadly, today is the last day I will be taking it as it will have been 5 days with only one break in between. I did also take two Benadryls last night as per usual too. I will do this for the remainder of the week (Sunday I am thinking). I also have a humidifier set up right at my desk. Not a heat one, just a cool mist one. And in further regards to inflammation I have also been taking Turmeric under the tongue.

Here is hoping today stays at its current level or gets even better. I appreciate the words of encouragement and advice @Joe Cuber and @10Kcd.

Staying positive has been a struggle. But I'm doing my best!