Tinnitus from Grocery Store Deli?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lordofthetv, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Lordofthetv

Lordofthetv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown or Stress
      I've had tinnitus(high pitch ringing for me) for 1 week now. It's on the tame side as far as volume goes but still omnipresent and bring all the depression and existential crysis as any tinnitus. I got it 1 month after starting my first job at a grocery store deli. Maybe it's the loud fridge of meats I work in front of or hopefully it's just stress induced tinnitus from starting my first job. Can a fridge be loud enough to cause tinnitus? I'm the only employee who complains about it but I also only really noticed how loud it was once I got Tinnitus. I do wear headphones and earbuds a LOT but always at the quietest possible levels since ironically I've always been paranoid about getting tinnitus (ever since I had it for one night as a child). I could never stand the volumes my friends listened to music at. Thoughts on how I got tinnitus?

EDIT: Also about 2 days before my ears started ringing my sister let me use her old earbuds which I now realize were probably on the floor of her really filthy car (I'm talking cliche single dudes car kind of filthy. Like a petri dish) So maybe it's an infection but no dizziness or pain. Or maybe there is pain but it's very very minor. It's hard to tell, I have a high tolerance.

I now wear an earplug in the ear that points towards the fridge (which is also the most effected ear). It's rough to deal with the ringing from that plugged ear. Here's to hoping it heals and my personality survives it.

Honestly, tinnitus wouldn't be so bad if it didn't also ruin that amazing Saving Private Ryan scene for me.

On a side note, if this heals, death is no longer the scariest part of joining the military for me. It's the lifetime of tinnitus.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    2. katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I thought you meant you ate a sandwich and you just knew.
      It’s probably an infection or something. That’s pretty common.

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lordofthetv

Lordofthetv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown or Stress
      The thing about an infection though is that tinnitus wouldn't be the only symptom, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. katri
      Chatty

katri Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Your ear could be crusty or you could feel clogged. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Leave your ears alone and wait a while.

5. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Many factors can be causing the tinnitus. Wax, possible ear infection, possibly the build up from the ear bud usage. Maybe stress from work. If you are able to do your work and protect your ears, then do so. Try keeping your stress at bay.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Angus William
      Gloomy

Angus William Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderate but long session with headphones
      I got tinnitus from headphones and was sensitive to sounds in the leadup. Throw the things in the bin and stay away from loud noises. You're likely right on the brink of getting the constant ringing forever.