Tinnitus from Injection Site Trauma Prior to Dental Procedure? Tight Muscles/TMD?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Llama Bunz, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Llama Bunz

Llama Bunz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone, I am new to Tinnitus Talk as well as to tinnitus. To be honest I so not even know where to begin. I have health anxiety, so I tend to jump to the worst case scenario in my mind all the time. Tinnitus though is new to me so I don't really have prior experiences to use as ways to calm myself down. I went in to see the doctor and he prescribed me some medication to help with panic attacks. He told me it was possibly just from tight muscles/TMD and that it could clear up, especially since it has only been around for 6-7 days.

I had a dentist appointment as well, even though it wasn't specifically for this issue. I did bring it up though since I was already there. At examining me, he said he was pretty sure it was due to some trauma to the area where I received an injection prior to a dental procedure a few weeks back. That and the bad habit of chewing on tooth picks with my front teeth. He prescribed me some muscle relaxants (10 days worth), and told me he was pretty sure it would go away soon. He said just to make sure to stretch my jaw, relax, and take the medication at night.

Do forgive me if my post seems like a bunch of rambling, I suppose I am just panicking about all this. I hear an 'eeee' sound constantly, and sometimes it switches ears. It will stop for a few seconds, come back stronger, then go down again, and repeat. It feels like any electrical appliance has an extra buzzing sound to it. Like... I am a bit more hyper sensitive to sound. As I said, it is all very new to me so it is sort of scary.

At first it was a constant single tone, but now it fluctuates. It's like:

'EEeeee__EEeeeE___eeeeeeee'.

Not going to lie, it is driving me crazy.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.

When tinnitus is new or at a new irritating level, and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic plus sleeplessness, it is advisable to use masking going so you won’t be so anxious and fearful and can sleep better. Stress and anxiety are toxic to tinnitus. So try masking if you haven’t done so. When my tinnitus was new, I used to mask all day just to prevent panic attacks from hearing my ultra high pitch loud dog whistle tinnitus. Try these if you haven't yet. Best of luck. Take good care. God bless.

1) Mask at bed time if having trouble sleeping, by using a sound pillow or sound machine with pillow speakers.

2) If you have a smart phone, you can download free apps for soothing or tinnitus masking sounds. Try using a Bluetooth speaker instead of headphones or earbuds. If you have headphones, use wisdom in the use of headphones or earbuds as extended use or excessive volume may hurt your ears. Try setting the volume slightly below that of your tinnitus.

3) With PC & speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds to see which one masks best:

Tinnitus Talk's excellent audio player:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

Or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds:
      https://mynoise.net

Or download free sound generator ‘Aire Freshener’:
      http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

Or click play to mix these sounds with this simple sound generator:
      http://asoftmurmur.com/

Or search YouTube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

You may also want to do something to relax yourself as too much stress and anxiety are not good for tinnitus. Try leisure walking or meditation to calm the tensed nerves. All the best.

• Agree Agree x 1