Tinnitus from Jogging?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by MWattie82, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MWattie82

MWattie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The tinnitus came on a couple of weeks ago out of nowhere. It then went away but came back after jogging 3 days and has stayed with me since. I feel dizzy and nauseated. I only took up jogging a few weeks ago and now wish I hadn’t bothered.

Has jogging caused the tinnitus? I’m so confused by all this and the GP is useless.

2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      Maybe blood pressure? Unless you run with headphones? Get your BP and Thyroid checked.

3. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did it come the first time from Jogging? How loud is it, 1 out of 10? Is it somatic meaning can you change the sound by moving your neck or jaw?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MWattie82

MWattie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had noticed it after jogging but it went off quickly so didn’t pay much attention. Last week it came on out of nowhere, then went off. This time it has come on after jogging and never gone away. It’s about 6/10. If I’m outside or in a busy environment I don’t notice it so much.
      I feel off balance and nauseate also.
      My blood is fine and I have hypothyroidism and that is stable.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

@MWattie82

Jogging can make tinnitus worse for some people while others are not affected. If you are a regular user of listening to music through headphones or attending places where loud music is played: clubs, concerts etc this could be the route cause of your tinnitus.

The dizziness and nausea that you are experiencing is not usually associated with "noise induced tinnitus". If these symptoms continue, I strongly advise you to keep going back to your GP. If you live in the UK, please send me a PM and I will advise you what to say to your GP, in order to help you be referred to ENT as this needs to be investigated.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Question, I am a 30 year sufferer curious to know when you have a spike do you automatically visit a doctor/ENT?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MWattie82

MWattie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Michael Leigh thank you for your reply. I actually saw an ENT consultant yesterday who thought I had acute labyrinthitis, although I’m not convinced, today I have had no nausea or dizziness but the constant ringing is still there. He will see me again in two weeks if the tinnitus is still there.
      I don’t listen to music through head phones often. Sunday was the first time this happened to me post jog. I don’t understand why this has just come out of no where!

8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @MWattie82

See how things progress and monitor how you feel so you can explain everything to your ENT consultant. Your physician is a highly skilled in the anatomy of the ear and this is the type of person that you need if there is a problem within your auditory system.

Best of luck
      Michael

• Like Like x 1