Tinnitus from Loud Headphones: Any Advice / Suggestions Welcome!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Still-Hope, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Still-Hope
      Dead

Still-Hope Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced. (working music for too long in Headphones)
      Hi there,

I just want to share my story here and I would also be pleased to receive any suggestions/advice.

My Story:
      I've been a DJ/producer for 25 years. In the beginning of July I had a long week of work using my headphones, maybe too loud, maybe for too long, without enough sleep...

This resulted in a "3 kHz pure tone" loud tinnitus in my left ear one night when going to bed. So I guess I got what we call "acoustic trauma caused by long-term noise exposure". )

I took Prednisone and went to see an ENT.

Audiogram shows:
      - no hearing above 12-13 kHz
      - minus 35 dB hearing loss @ 3 kHz & minus 30 dB @ 6 kHz in the left ear
      - right ear curve is not flat but not that damaged

Well, as you already expected, the ENT told me to stay calm and it would goes away...
      After a few days my tinnitus started to modulate like mad between 3 kHz and 4 kHz all the time in my left ear.
      I could not sleep and became very anxious so I have been taking Xanax for 3 month coupled with Amitriptyline.

When I started on Xanax, I felt much better and the tinnitus loudness decreased a lot but as the Xanax's effect decreased the tinnitus and the anxiety came back much more louder.

During these first 3 month things worsened a lot (because of Xanax?).

Everything was so unstable. Multiple modulating and new reactive tinnitus sounds joined the party :ROFL: in both ears and head. It was like having a Modular Synth in my whole head :eek::grumpy:

I also had hyperacusis and different sort of "distortions", ear pains, and really strange hearing effects.

I saw 4 different ENTs, changed my diet, did sports, been trying maskers, relaxation, Sophrology etc etc etc... but things were still totally unstable... I even had sudden deafness for 24 hours on left ear, apparently due to anxiety... :dunno:

I have finally seen a new ENT and Neurologist
      who told me the nervous system was in a strong state of inflammation and prescribed me Clonazepam in order to "calm down" and "stabilize" the nervous system and then let the brain be able to "habituate".
      I've now taken Clonazepam for 2 months and I wear hearing aids at home to help "contrasting the tinnitus ".

I must say Clonazepam helps me a lot for now: no more anxiety, good sleep, less or even no more hyperacusis, almost no more distortions as well. My tinnitus sounds are also a bit quieter (I was not able to watch a movie for 3 months - my tinnitus was only maskable @ 50 dB... ). My tinnitus now also sounds more filtered (like mixed with withe noise) which is a bit less disturbing.

I do feel much better now. As most of us (I think), I had the feeling that my life had ended... and I really felt like living in hell. It's still difficult, it's still hell and my tinnitus is here 24/7 (and still reactive to sounds but changing a bit less), HOWEVER it's a bit better.

I'm now planing with my neurologist to really slowly decrease the Clonazepam at the beginning of January.
      I'm definitely aware of the risk of withdrawal, rebound effect etc.... I also read a lot of stuff about benzo and neuroplasticity...:barefoot: So I Just wish the positive effects will last after the tapering and the stopping of Clonazepam! :)

I try to keep my mind as positive as I can, and I convince myself I can do it...

Maybe I'm not patient enough but I'm considering trying Lenire... which I know is kind of a lottery... and expensive lottery...

As I can't change any aspect (loudness/pitch) of my tinnitus with neck or jaw movements etc AT ALL... I think waiting for Dr. Shore's Device would not be the best bet in my case...? :whistle:

I want to add that, I try to have the most clever approach I can with this crazy new condition of living. Staying positive and educating myself. I read a lot of stuff on Tinnitus Talk paying a lot of attention to research/science/experienced members discussions etc.

Thanks to all of you here for that, thanks for building such an incredible source of information and the hope it gives.

I want to finish by wishing a peaceful life to all of us, with as little pain as possible, and hopefully we will all have silence in the near future!

Thank you, if you read this TOO LONG thing until the end, and thanks in advance if you reply!

Peace!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nobody in the house? :rolleyes:

Or is my story or the medical choices I've made too scary so no one wants to reply? :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You have "Noise induced tinnitus" caused by loud music and headphone use. If you don't want your tinnitus to get worse, then I advise that you stop using headphones even at low volume and reduce your exposure to loud music. If you don't then your tinnitus will likely get worse and you will have to eventually stop using headphones and listening to loud music, because the tinnitus will be too loud and distressing for you. The sad thing is, if you are forced to stop then the tinnitus will be so severe it will probably remain this way.

Sorry to sound so sobering.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. You hit the nail right by stating positive and getting more education on tinnitus. Keep going in that direction you may find your recovery hastened. Good luck. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You will want to make sure that you don't hurt your ears during this period of vulnerability as your body is healing. You will want to avoid taking ototoxic drugs, avoid microsuction or syringing (performed when you need to clean wax out of your ears; a manual tool should be used), and not let your dental hygienist use an ultrasonic scaling tool on you (a manual tool should be used). For more details, see

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Still-Hope Sorry to hear about your noised induced tinnitus. I can only say read what works for some. It was trial and error for me. I have been on Benzo, Prozac and a sleeping pill for 25 years. This has helped me get through the tinnitus experience. I too pray for better treatments or cure. I wish you luck. You have a positive attitude which is a plus. G-d bless.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for your reply.

You don't sound so sobering ^^

It has been getting worse in the 3 first months. Now it is still unstable and changing, but the "pattern" repeats everyday. And it's much better. Thanks for your advice :)

From day one, I've stopped listening loud music, almost stopped listening altogether, stopped using headphones etc. I also moved to the countryside where I can breathe fresh air and stay away from constant "city noise". (I was living in Paris). The tinnitus is still there but less severe (I used to be at severity level of 9/10 everyday) and I would say it's now between 6 and 8, depends on the moment, depends on the day.

Thanks a lot!

Kind regards.

• Like Like x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot!

Good luck to you too!

Peace!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot for this information!

I didn't know about the dental hygienist's "ultrasonic scaling tool".

:thankyousign:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Still-Hope

Noise induced tinnitus is often unstable and changes a lot especially during the early months of onset. This could continue for some time so try not to be too alarmed. The important thing is that you don't use headphones and I am very serious about this, if you don't want to risk the tinnitus getting worse, even after the tinnitus flattens out and may reduce to a low level. When this happens a person can be at their most vulnerable, as there's a tendency to think the pressure is off and able to return to using headphones, earbuds and listening to loud music.

They don't realize the tinnitus is there waiting quietly in the background ready to strike with a ferocity they wouldn't believe possible. I know about this type of tinnitus and the way it can behave. Please go to my started threads and read the following posts that I think will be of help to you: New to tinnitus what to do. Tinnitus, A Personal View. Hyperacusis, As I see It. The Habituation Process. Tinnitus and the negative mindset. Acquiring a positive mindset. Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings by using low level sound enrichment. You will find more information about sound enrichment in my posts.

I wish you well
      Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot Michael.

I've totally stopped using headphones, I've stopped listening to loud music as well.
      I'm listening to some smooth music sometimes at maximum 50 dB on small speakers. But really not often. And honestly, as I was a musician, I know it's done for now. I will have to find a new job.

Even if i have the chance to see my tinnitus get smoother with time or even totally disappear one day, which is a thing I barely believe could be possible now, I won't take the risk to expose myself to the risk of living through this again.

I'm going to check your post, thanks a lot for this, and thanks a lot again for your time!

Kind regards,
      Peace

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome @Still-Hope. You will be okay in time. Read my posts and use sound enrichment during the day and night, at low level. If you are able to listen to music, set the volume at a comfortable level. Try to avoid overusing earplugs and keep away from headphones.

Take care
      Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Everybody,

It is now a little more than 7 month I've been living with severe tinnitus and light to moderate hyperacusis.

I don't really know why I am posting here now...

Tomorrow I'mm going back to Paris (after 6 months in my family's place, in French countryside).

So tomorrow I'm going to be in my apartment again, where I used to make music 8 hours a day.

Music was my life. But my previous life...

I'm not so scared about Paris noises level. But I'm just feeling sad today.
      I'm feeling sad because it does not feel like going back home... like it should.

Because my tinnitus is after 7 month still severe and I was expecting a better outcome. I know music is over for me now and life can't be the same anymore, as you all know, period...

So it feels like diving in a new unknown empty space... but this space seems a bit dark!

I'm not not suicidal, but now I'm feeling the pain, deep in my stomach, my heart and my soul...
      I truly think tinnitus is a pain of the soul...

Finally I know why I'm posting here, because probably only you, who suffer from this same thing, can understand how much it hurts!

So that's it, I just wanted to share, and wish you all the best, to all of you, to all of us.

Peace.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Do not listen to Michael Leigh. He is a quack!

A LOT OF PEOPLE continue making music and remain successful after they get tinnitus. You can too.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you!
      Thanks a lot!

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Try not to worry too much. You are still in recovery and this will take time. Music is not over for you that I'm sure. Be careful to follow some of my suggestions and you'll be just fine. 7 months is not a long time recovering from noise induced tinnitus. Ask anyone that is seasoned to it or a veteran, and they'll tell you the same as I have. I prefer not to call people out as I try to be respectful. However, some people have no class like the person who called me a quack. I have many years experience with noise induced tinnitus and know what I'm talking about. Just take your time, use sound enrichment and don't worry. You will be able to return to music but my advice is not to use headphones. This is just advice and not absolute. If you return to using them please be careful.

Take care
      Michael

17. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I don't give up on being a musician, just do it more softly in volume. Whatever volume you think is quiet now, take half of that, then find the middle between them. Use that middle as your new quiet.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Michael,

Support is always appreciated!
      Thanks again for your advice and taking time to answer.

I will definitely not use headphones again, trust me!
      I don't even feel ready yet to make music on speakers at very low volume.

Thanks,
      Take care

19. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      Sorry to hear things are still rough. Keep in mind that many people on this forum got better after 2-3 years. 7 months is still relatively early days.

Also, there are many bands that contain musicians with tinnitus: Metallica, RHCP, Coldplay... You’ll have to be more mindful of protecting your ears, but you WILL be able to successfully get back into the music.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are welcome Still-Hope. Recovering from noise induced tinnitus is not easy because it takes time and patience. If a person also has hyperacusis which often accompanies noise induced tinnitus, it complicates matters further, because it is another condition a person has to cope with. Both tinnitus and hyperacusis can affect a person's mental and emotional wellbeing considerably, especially in the early stages. If you feel stress is getting too much talk to your family doctor about how you feel, this is important. Please read the following articles on my started threads: Tinnitus and the Negative Mindset, Acquiring a Positive Mindset, The Habituation Process. These are just a few but there are others. The idea is to help reinforce positive thinking.

Try to avoid quiet rooms and surroundings especially at night by using sound enrichment. Play low level music during the day. Not to mask the tinnitus.

About headphones. If you choose to return to using them at some time just be careful but it's not something I recommend. It is fine people telling you using headphones as long as the volume is kept low you're safe. This may well be. However, should your tinnitus increase and it's possible, these people will not be able to help you. The choice is yours.

Best of luck
      Michael

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot for your message!
      Much appreciated!

I'm wishing you the best and a good recovery too!

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Still-Hope
      Dead

Tinnitus Since:
      JULY 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks a lot!
      Wish you the best too! :thankyousign: :rockingbanana: