Tinnitus from Perforated Eardrum

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elisabeth, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Hi!

I got tinnitus after an Eminem concert on the 30th of June. The day after the concert I had water in my left ear, but I thought that I got it from showering or something, and I also had some pain in my ear. When I got home on the 1st of July, I laid down on my left side in bed, and I felt water coming out of my ear. At that exact moment, the tinnitus began. I have now had if for almost 4 months. I was just wondering if any of you have had tinnitus from a perforated eardrum, and if it ever went away.

I have read all the forums I could find, and some stories are positive and some not so much.

And I just want to add that my tinnitus isn't that loud. I can only hear it when it's silent, but I still seem to think about it all the time. I went to the mall the other day, and a baby screamed pretty loud. Things like that can just ruin my whole day, because I start to think about the tinnitus. I am terrified of it getting worse, and when someone makes a loud noise all I want to do is cry. I of course have a lot of good days too, so my life isn't just depressing... But yeah. I really want it to go away some day, and I still have hope.

I also want to ask if I can still go to the dentist? I am terrified of doing that as well :')

I appreciate any feedback, have a nice day :)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Welcome!

How do you know you have a perforated ear drum?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Oh, maybe I should have mentioned that :p I went to the doctor and she looked inside my ear an confirmed it. I went back a month or so after, and she said it looked like it had healed. But the tinnitus is still there. It is not as loud as it was when I first got it though.

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Do you have a lot of pain and loss of hearing in that ear? How did your eardrum become perforated?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      No, the pain went away once the eardrum burst a day after the concerst. I had bad hearing for a week or so, but now I hear as good as I used to. I forgot to mention that my eardrum is not perforated anymore, but I read somewhere that sometimes it takes longer for the T to go away (if it does at all).

And it became perforated because the music was so loud. And Eminem used these gunshot effects as well, so yeah.. I did wear ear earplugs by killnoise, but obviously they were not that great.

6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Well, I hope your T goes away in time (I don't think there is much you can do at this point). It's pretty rare but not unheard of to have an acoustic trauma result in a perforated ear drum. I wonder if your earplugs contributed to the perforation by being close to the tympanic membrane when the pressure wave hit.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Perforated eardrum
      Yeah, i remember pressing them into my ear a little extra when the music was at it's loudest. And it also hurt a tiny bit. But knowing nothing about ears I just continued enjoying the concert. I have only been to two concerts in my life, apart from christmas concerts (but the sound there isen't that loud at all), and I didn't play loud music when I used earbuds. Had I known how terrible tinnitus is, I never would have gone. But that is easy to say now