Tinnitus from Taking Buspirone

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tom212, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Tom212

Tom212 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Buspirone
      Hi everyone. I started taking Buspirone (anti-anxiety medication) last month, and I noticed after taking each dose that I would get ringing in my ears for about a half hour before it went away. Like a fool, I didn't think much of it and kept on taking the medication.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and my doctor increased my dose since the medication wasn't having much positive effect. A few days into the increase, the ringing became constant. This past Friday I had enough and quit taking it cold turkey, but the ringing has been about the same since then.

Right now I'm worried out of my mind that this is going to be a permanent thing. The irony is that I'm far more anxious right now than before I started the medication for anxiety.

Has anyone else had experience with Buspirone? I read that the medication leaves your system within 48 hours, so I'm kind of panicking that the tinnitus is still there.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Prednisone could sort this, or you wait it out and see.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Tinnitus is one known side effect of Buspirone, though it should clear once you are off it.

Yes I can imagine you would give almost anything to have the level of anxiety you had before the ringing started.

If people had 1 week experience of ear ringing - they would run a thousand miles from these meds if they knew tinnitus is a side effect.

Hope it clears - it is still quite early after you stopped. Keep us up to date.

• Like Like x 2