Tinnitus Gets Louder, Help Please

Discussion in 'Support' started by r_ve, Jun 14, 2015.

1. r_ve

r_ve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New Years Eve
      Hey,

I have gotten my tinnitus for 5.5 months now because of a loud party at 18. Usually Im not the guy for a party every weekend and I never thought it could happen to me because I really never had much problems with my ears, but well, shit happens.

It has started as a very quiet ringing in the ears which I only could hear at night in bed. Since then although it was very quiet, I have started thinking non-stop about my tinnitus. Since almost half a year, I spend about 3 - 4 hours daily thinking about my tinnitus and it sucks the fun and the happiness out of my life. Its the worst when Im out with friends and having a lot of fun, one thought and the fun is ruined for me because I doubt I will ever hear silence again. Because I was listening out for the tinnitus daily if it was getting better, I think it now has gotten even louder. Or maybe it is just my imagination, I dont know. When Im busy with thinking about something else, I cant hear my T even when its quiet around (e.g. in bed).

Sometimes the sound itself is just driving me crazy, sometimes I dont really care, but it bothers me for almost 6 months now. People say it gets better when you get used to the sound after a few months but why doesnt it for me? :(

Theres still a little hope that my T will get away completely one day, but I dont think I can accomplish that when Im thinking about and listening out for it daily. I have already had thoughts that just because of listening out so much, I still kept my tinnitus and the damage in my ears is actually not the cause anymore.

Have you got any advice? :(

Best greetings

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      I think it's because you're anxious about T. It's natural to feel this way, but I continue live my life as usual, because that's the only way I can stop thinking about it. I'd say that you don't need a specific habit to stop thinking about it; no one with T does. It's just a sound and it can't kill you. I have to remind myself about that one, if I wake up with the sound. And, if my T gets worse because I listen to loud music, then I know what has caused it. That's better than if it suddenly gets louder for no apparent reason. Then I would get more anxious about it and it, of course, will get worse. But your T could also be a temporary condition. We're both early into it, so there's still a chance, that it would go away by itself. Have you tried sound therapy? There are plenty of these melodies on Youtube and it has helped me a lot. Good luck! :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      There is a therapy tailored made for people like you who cant accept the fact that they have tinnitus that is so mild that this forum wouldnt even exist if we all have what you have, and the therapy is called TRT, or Tinnitus Retraining Therapy (100% success rate in your case). Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      what kind of an answer is that?? how do you know that his T is mild?

• Like Like x 1
    5. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      @ampumpkin there is also a therapy called Mildfullness meditation training, it deally works, have you tried it?

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Haha! You made my day!

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      r_ve

r_ve Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      New Years Eve
      @TheGagagirl1234 What sounds do you listen to? When it gets too loud again and I cant concencrate propery, I sometimes just play some random videos over YouTube, or white noise.

@dan Its not extremely mild but loud enough that I can hear it clearly over my laptop in my room if I listen out for it. And that, I do too often. Thanks for your therapy tip, will follow it.

8. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's worrying about it that's making it worse. You need help to relax. It becomes a vicious circle because you worry then it seems worse and that makes you worry etc. and telling you not to think about it will only make you think about it! Have you read the letter to a T sufferer? It might help you. You need to retrain your thoughts as well. It takes time and practice. You'll get there.

9. TheGagagirl1234

TheGagagirl1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/loud music
      Look up binaural beats on Youtube - these should be proven to heal anything :)

10. Uniqdzign
      Musical

Uniqdzign Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1973
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Playing instruments too loudly.
      Hi,
      You mentioned "I think it now has gotten even louder." As mentioned before, thinking about will definitely create the apparent increase/worsening of t.
      You might try what might be called "reverse procedure", in that by selecting a period of time every day, say five minutes after waking, concentrate on listening to it as intently as possible.
      Then when finished you can say to yourself - and it's important to do so out loud, "OK that's the tinnitus for today, out of the way, now what's next".
      Also so much of our time on computers is spent with no background noise. You could add music, or if near a road, open a window for traffic noise, etc. - obviously not so loud as to interrupt concentration or enjoyment.
      The thing is that t isn't all in the mind, and we have to take action to work with it. Sometimes that 'work' will reduce it to inaudible level for 95% of the time.
      No two people are alike with their tinnitus, so if it doesn't involve making loud noise that might worsen the t, then try out many things. Things that work for many with milder forms of t, are the basics:

Reduce time with headphones.
      Reduce volume when using headphones.
      Reduce alcohol.
      Increase sleep.
      Eat a good healthy diet.
      Exercise daily.

The things people do to keep a healthy lifestyle for other organs and functions, all have a positive effect on the body-mind-emotional state.
      Best of luck with it!

• Like Like x 1
    11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So what part of Spain do you live at?

12. Uniqdzign
      Musical

Uniqdzign Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1973
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Playing instruments too loudly.
      Hi Dan,

East Coast, Costa Blanca. Similar to my homeland - South Coast of UK, but with sunshine! :cyclops:

13. marksavage

marksavage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden very loud noise
      I can empathize with r_ve. I have had tinnitus since 2007 and it's got steadily worse. It started off so quiet I could only tell when it was very quiet and has steadily increased in the last 8 years. Any loud place seems to increase the ringing, I usually notice it the next day. Over the last year or so I have noticed that even hitting tennis balls increases the noise. I've been waiting for it to reduce in intensity but it only ever goes up and not down. I'm very worried how loud it might eventually get and wondered if anyone else had the same kind of issue.

Mark

14. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      You got Tinnitus in 2015 correct? Give it a year or two where it gets worse for no apparent reason. Its a bear!

15. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Same, goes up but never comes down. I'm almost 2 years in. I wear cotton in my ears when I play tennis, helps a bit.

The more active and the more I try to get on with things, the worse the tinnitus gets. Seems you get punished for pushing back against this. I rise up, the T smacks me down, puts me in my place every time.