Tinnitus Goes Away with Certain Neck Movements

Discussion in 'Support' started by basma, Oct 21, 2019.

1. basma

basma Member

Tinnitus Since:
      One month
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well my ENT has told me my tinnitus is musculoskeletal and I will be seeing a physiotherapist for it.

I wake up with a loud ringing in my right ear mostly which goes away when I stretch my neck towards the other side and downwards... the ringing is back once my neck is back in normal position.

I've started doing some stretching exercises and hopefully over time they will help.

Anyone else has the same issue?

2. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi, my ENT consultant correctly deduced I have bruxism, and I learned that my jaw moves to one side as i open it.

However I know for a fact that my tinnitus is primarily noise induced, so I'm dubious as to how much benefit there is in addressing my jaw issues.

Does your neck click when you turn it, especially first thing in the mornings? My tonal tinnitus gets really loud and layered when I turn over in bed or yawn, but thankfully it settles back to baseline when I breathe deeply.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @basma -- I read an account of a man who did some massaging action around his TMJ and temples using some kind of small electronic device. He said it made his tinnitus go away, though I don't recall if it lasted longer-term. I massage my own ear areas, and have found a couple of different spots that if I press into it, will relieve my tinnitus somewhat for as long as I hold it. I plan to start putting some acupuncture needles in some of these spots to see what might happen.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Mine is similar. One sound instantly lowers/disappears when I turn my head to the right/apply pressure to my jaw. My T eventually fades to minimal proportions when I'm in bed laying on my back, with my head turned right as well. Takes quite some time though, and I don't feel like holding that position all the time, so I rarely do it.

I'm still working with my physiotherapist to treat it: seems to make a difference so far, but progress is slow.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      You may want to check out the following post I made, which has links to three videos of people whose tinnitus improved by an atlas adjustment called atlasprofilax...

Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

If you find the above interesting, you may want to check out THIS POST as well.

• Like Like x 1