Tinnitus in ONE Ear: Should I Be Concerned About a Tumor or Cancer?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hopelynn, Jun 8, 2020.

1. hopelynn

hopelynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just popping in to introduce myself. I'm Hope, 34 years old, and have been dealing with tinnitus in my right ear for about 3 weeks now. Hoping to find some comfort, support, and advice as I try to figure out the cause and find a good way to cope. To say it's annoying is an understatement!

Brand new to the forums, but have been reading through and love the support going on in this community.

About 3 weeks ago I had a fullness in my left ear, and whenever I yawned it would crackle for about 10 seconds and dissipate. I took some Sudafed, thinking it was sinus pressure, and sure enough--it went away.

But a few days later, I got a faint ringing in my right ear. It continued to get louder and louder over the next few days, and it's been a steady annoying screechy sound for about 2.5 weeks now.

At first I thought it was an ear infection so went to urgent care. She said my eustachian tubes weren't opening, probably due to allergies, and put me on a combo of increased Flonase (was already using), Allegra, Sudafed, and a nightly neti pot. When those didn't help after a week, she tried an antibiotic. That also didn't help.

From what I can tell it's just the ringing in the one ear, no hearing loss. I have a constant feeling of pressure in both ears, though.

I have an appointment with my PCP on Wednesday. But, I have high anxiety and slight hypochondria and let myself Google unilateral tinnitus....while I know Google is not a doctor, everything I've read has stated tinnitus in only one ear is bad and I should be seen ASAP because it could be serious.

So, to the community of people who know more than I do about tinnitus--do I need to be immediately concerned, or is it possible to have tinnitus in one ear that ISN'T a tumor or cancer or any of those bad things? I want to have a level head before I walk into my appointment on Wednesday so I can ask the right questions. Thank you all in advance!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hopelynn

hopelynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Replying to my own thread here with an update, and because I forgot a potentially important piece of information.

Update is, my left ear is not ringing but it's now feeling quite full and almost "fluttery" at times. It's off and on, while the ringing in the right ear is constant.

Second, the info I should have included: Otosclerosis does run in my family. My grandmother had it (almost full hearing loss as a result) and my aunt has it (had surgery for it about five years ago). I don't notice any hearing loss and I'm not at all familiar with whether or not otosclerosis can cause the feeling of fullness in my ears?

3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The odds of it being a tumor are pretty low. Still, it may be a good idea to rule it out with imaging tech.

That is a good lead. Otosclerosis can definitely cause the feeling of fullness (it did for me), but I don't think the fullness would go after a while: the conductive losses aren't likely to go away once they set in. Did you go to an audiologist for a hearing test? If so, are you comfortable posting your audiogram here? (blank out any personal info)

What does your T sound like? It is a low frequency rumble or a high frequency buzz (like crickets)?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hopelynn

hopelynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an appointment with my PCP tomorrow, so I haven't had any kind of testing done yet. I should definitely emphasize that it's only my assumption I have no hearing loss.

My T sounds like that electronic ring of a TV being on, but a lot louder. Some days it's quieter than others, but it's always there--never stops.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hopelynn

hopelynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      And another update: about 20 minutes ago my left ear started ringing as well.

This is a pretty fun adventure. :arghh:

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      OK, sounds like you need to get your hearing tested (make sure they test bone conduction).

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hopelynn

hopelynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay, saw my PCP today. She did a quick hearing test and found suspected hearing loss in my left ear. Confusing since my tinnitus is in my right ear, but my left ear does have a lot of fullness. Is that a normal thing for tinnitus to occur in the ear that doesn't have hearing loss?

Anyway, I've been referred to an audiologist and put on a course of steroids to see if that clears up any suspected eustachian tube issues. She's also concerned about sudden sensorineural hearing loss. Depending on the results of the hearing test the next step will be an ENT if all of this doesn't resolve.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Certainly not unheard of. It sometimes "travels" from one ear to the other too.

Sounds good. Keep us posted. When are you going to do your hearing test at the audiologist?

• Like Like x 1
    9. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I have tinnitus left side only, once in a while fullness in right side. No cancer. I had a MRI. It can be one sided.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hopelynn

hopelynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My hearing test is scheduled for three days from now. I'm experiencing tinnitus in both ears now, and wondering if the ringing in the ears interferes with the hearing test? If I'm already hearing a tone in both ears will that tone mask any of the tones on the test and skew the results?