Tinnitus Is Much More Common Than I Thought...

Discussion in 'Support' started by DudeMannDude, Nov 18, 2015.

1. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      So, today I was talking with some classmates today about what majors we were thinking about. We all mentioned the things we were interested in: history, business, english, and what not. I then mentioned I wanted to study music but said it would probably be a waste due to my tinnitus.
      I am not even kidding when I say this, but everyone I was talking too then told me they each had it! All four of them! One girl got hers from a head injury she sustained as a child, another girl got it from marching band, one guy got it from sport shooting when he was younger, and another from playing drums.

I know it is kind of silly, but having people that I can share my frustrations with in person really helps. It also helps seeing people living life fully and not worrying about Tinnitus every waking moment.

• Like Like x 3
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      I have similar experience. At least 12 people in my social circle had or still having T, but they don't talk about it until asked. They seem to go on with life without much emotional issue. I often like to use Jade's success story for some reasons. One of the reasons is that she has loud T which can be heard over the 800 tons truck she drove. But the overriding reason is that while she suffered much initially, once she talked to her colleagues and realized that over 70% of them also have T but they all seem to continue to live normal life without much emotional struggle, she changes her approach to not let T intimidate her anymore, and that is the end of T tyranny over her life. It is remarkable that at some point in our suffering, it is like a light switch is turned on and we change our approach which marks the turning point of the T struggle. I wish we have the same DNA as others in controlling the reaction to T. The difference is that they don't suffer from or fear T, while we do. That decides the intrusiveness of T.

• Like Like x 2
    3. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Where can I find this success story?

4. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
    5. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
    6. billie48
      Sunshine

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      You can leave a comment to her success story and tag her with your question. I think her profile shows that she last visited TT in Oct 2015, so our tough lady is still active. Her story is an inspiration, like many others who wrote their success stories. She can be someone many struggling newbies can look up to for inspiration and hope.