Tinnitus Louder Coming Off Mirtazapine. Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tweaker, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I recently managed to get down to a quarter of a 15mg mirtazapine tablet about once a week and my tinnitus has become even louder. I wanted to find out if my T would reduce if I came of mirtazapine but it's difficult getting to be completely off it as the T has gone up. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I would like to be clean for a couple of months to see if it makes a difference but the insomnia is tough. I am hoping the T will improve perhaps after this initial ramping up but I just dont know if I will be able to get by sleep-wise without any mirtazapine at all. No non-prescription stuff works for me. Interested in other people's experiences coming of mirtazapine.

2. Christian82

Christian82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2014
      yeah had the same problem for me it reduced T back on it now but lower doses I hope it goes back to the way it was before stopping :)

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Tweaker First of all Tweaker, are you doing anything that might be causing your tinnitus to increase? For instance, attending clubs where music is played loud or working in a noisy environment? Do you listen to music through headphones?
      Michael

4. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @Tweaker
      Interesting subject, as I take half a dose a night. I love a good night sleep. I think it’s great to try and I had a plan too, to get off this medication when I started it. Now I'm hooked.

I wonder if the lower medication is also is affecting other anti-depressant levels in your body. Seems like a small dosage change, but I made a transition in medications from Amitriptyline to Mirtazapine, even tapering following doctor’s orders, I still had withdrawal symptoms, one night of feeling like hell, my system adjusting. Didn’t help my T. So I might say, these medications are potent. Maybe a small dosage change matters.

Yes, I hope your (and everybody's) T will improve.
      Thanks for posting the topic, I'm interested in your results.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No Michael, I avoid loud places as usual. I haven't changed anything else.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      James. Oddly enough I was also on amitryityline for a couple of years before doc changed me to mirtazapine. Sleep always a problem. I have gone back on a quarter mirt everyother day for now as sleep is very bad. It seems I can't sleep without this med at the moment. My tinnitus is no better. I don't really know if mirtazapine affects my T or not unless I can manage to get completely off it for a while. It's tough but still my aim to be clear of this med. Working full time with no sleep is the probelm.

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I came off amitryptaline 100 mg ,50mg over 6 weeks after 10 years and 2 years later 50mg over longer and on venlafaxine.
      Since coming off amitryptaline in 12 years total can not sleep a wink as my tinnitus is so sever and the amitryptaline did knock me out.
      Adjusted well to New meds and with a sleeping tablet finely sleeping like a baby most nights again....lots of love glynis

8. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @glynis. Glad that you are coping better and that you are getting some sleep. It's awful when you are deprived of sleep it makes things a whole lot worse.

9. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tweaker
      Transparent

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Glad you are feeling better and glad you can sleep well again. I would love to be able to sleep. Insomnia is the worst side effect of severe T, for me.

11. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Tweaker,
      I was put on zolpidem 10mg at night....lots of love glynis