Tinnitus Much Worse After a Total Hysterectomy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Eleanor89, May 23, 2021.

1. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve had tinnitus for 26 years. I remember when it first started. It was horrendous. I was on Prozac for a year which really helped. I have over the years put the tinnitus to the back of my mind and have used earplugs and avoided loud environments.

However, I had a total hysterectomy about five weeks ago. The operation was extremely complicated.

About a week ago I was woken by a loud noise in my left ear, and it totally took me back to when it first started all those years ago.

I have been up and down hormonally and extremely tearful.

I’m wondering if this is all connected to the total hysterectomy.

Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 8
    2. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

I'm so sorry this happened to you, even more so knowing that you had tamed the beast. I don't have any medical advice to give you or an answer to your question, but I want to tell you we understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I was 29 when it started, I have had good and bad days over the years.

However, it had been a horrendous time as I was in terrible pain for a year before my operation, and due to COVID-19 I had to wait for my operation. I was extremely anxious over this time and have recently felt overwhelmed by it all.

• Hug Hug x 4
    4. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I think there is data that suggests hormones can impact tinnitus. There are posts here where members have noted increased tinnitus prior to their monthly cycle, and there are also women who experience tinnitus and even sudden hearing loss post pregnancy and doctors speculate that hormone fluctuations are the cause.

It may take some time for your hormone level to become steady. Is that something your doctor could check?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am 56. I shall speak to my doctor on Wednesday. I had my ovaries and Fallopian tubes removed as well.

I have a ring in my right ear that started four weeks after my operation, I can hear it when I watch tv etc. However, I’m choosing to ignore it, something I’ve done for years, I do hope it fades in time.

I’ve had tinnitus for years that I had habituated to. I never thought of my hormones. I even thought it was caused by a dog bark, lots of ideas have gone through my head x

Thank you.

6. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Had you already gone through menopause, because I do know that removing ovaries can trigger it. I also know someone who had already gone through menopause, but removing their ovaries triggered hormone fluctuations.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. lcj

lcj Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      medication
      I would also ask your surgeon what anesthesia drugs they gave you during surgery, many like Propofol have been known to irritate or make tinnitus worse. If you search for Propofol tinnitus for instance you’ll find a lot of anecdotal stories.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for your reply.

It’s probably part of it. My operation should have lasted 90 minutes, but it took over four hours. I guess I’ve got to give it time to settle down.

And in the meantime try and habituate to this noise. x

I was also totally stressed out before and after the operation.

I do hope it settles down. x

9. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Mine sure do.

@Eleanor89, I don't know much about post-menopausal hysterectomies, but in your research and discussions with your doctor was it recommended to take bioidentical hormones after the procedure? The only person I know who had a hysterectomy was under 35 and she had to take all kinds of hormones.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,

I’ve had no recommendations for hormones etc.

I am speaking to my doctor on Wednesday, I shall mention my tinnitus, it’s been 10 days since my spike and I guess it’s early days yet.

x

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve just read articles on Ibruprofen.

I’ve had tinnitus for 26 years, however it’s spiked 10 days ago only in the right ear.

I am concerned because I took Ibruprofen and Paracetamol almost every day regularly for over a year before I had my surgery.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just spoken to the doctor and I have been prescribed HRT.

So I shall see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Babette

Babette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for reaching out. Still trying to figure out this platform - new as of yesterday. Couldn't seem to respond on conversation from today 6-17 about dog barking.

I've had tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus for about 30 years and hyperacusis for 5 years. I didn't even know what tinnitus was until I developed hyperacusis. I'm not sure what brought it on although I had had a very complicated surgery to remove my ovaries and fallopian tubes (they left uterus because it does produce some homones) four months prior and just days before experienced a severe ear trauma. I've since read that the anesthesia used during surgery can cause it but I hadn't heard about the hormonal aspect until today.

From what I've learned over the years (which isn't much from the medical community - only by trial and error and Dr. Internet) is to try to relax, do something to take your mind off of it, use an OTC for pain if that helps or lie down. I've tried old fashioned hot water bottles for severe pain and even applied pressure by placing my finger over the skin flap by my ear. I've learned my triggers and if I encounter one, I do all I can to avoid others. Three will take me out and then another day to recover. Few understand how debilitating the constant pain from tinnitus or hyperacusis can be and some of the things people say just exacerbate it. If an "injury" can't be seen - few believe it even exists.

My best advice though is to try to stay calm and be good to yourself. I find romantic/comedy movies help. Laughter is the best medicine!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you so much x

It didn’t help today when I sat down and my daughter's small dog barked a few feet away from my ear.

15. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      @Eleanor89, I'm so sorry for everything you've been going through. From what I've read, it doesn't seem that the hysterectomy per se brought on a worse case, but maybe like you say, medication, stress, blood pressure...????

But let's get to the important stuff... if that is a current picture I want to know your skincare regimen!! :)

I hope you take comfort in the support you'll receive from this forum. I know I sure do. I hope your ears have quieted down after the dog bark incident. I'm four years into this and am still always on hyper alert for any noise that will spike my tinnitus. It's exhausting but I can't seem to let it go... hugs.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Mary,

Thank you for the skin compliment x

Yes my surgery was 41/2 hours due to complications...

I’ve had tinnitus for a long time but I habituated and it faded into the background.

I have had a lot going on, as well as menopause, I’m now on HRT patches.

The tinnitus has been eight weeks now, 4 weeks after my op.

I went to ENT and my hearing is excellent so I’m going for a masker next week so we will see how it works.

I hope you are ok x How loud is your tinnitus and what kind of sounds do you hear? xxxx

17. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Eleanor. I'm 51 and really really wish I would've spent more time being grateful for youth and relative health in my younger years.

To answer your question, my tinnitus I guess would be maybe a 5/10 and mostly it is the crickets and cicadas gone crazy and it is in my brain, not my ears so much, so it cannot be masked. I also get a high pitched whistle in my left ear sometimes that makes me very anxious. I have otosclerosis and some hearing loss so I'm actually thinking about trying a hearing aid, to see if it helps lessen the tinnitus. I also have been taking quite a lot of brain boosting supplements (nootropics) which have been very beneficial and also listening to R David Case Tinnitus Mix. I've had very good results. I've had more and more days here and there with very little ringing, so I feel like there is hope for me which is a wonderful feeling.

What brought your tinnitus on? Do you know or remember? How has it worsened?
      If you don't have hearing loss, R David Case Tinnitus Mix may help you. It's a little controversial on this site and people tend to pick on him a bit, but even though it sounds a little nuts, it has helped snap my brain out of that "tinnitus track."

I'll be curious to know if your masker helps you. Definitely keep us updated... hope you're having a good weekend. Hugs.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    18. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eleanor, how are you? Has your tinnitus spike calmed down? I sure hope so.

Congratulations however on your benign diagnosis! It sounds like you've been through so much this past year, thank goodness now you can begin to heal...

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello.

Yes my tinnitus is still there, but my ears a bit hypersensitive to some sounds so wearing my plugs.

My hearing test was all fine and going to try a masker.

However I've be been taking myself to quiet walks for the natural sound... To help with sensitivity...

Think it all goes hand in hand... Yes it has been a awful year... But taking it easy

Hopefully it will settle down as it’s only been 11 weeks since my ears started playing up. And 15 weeks since my op.

Thank you for asking Mary x

• Hug Hug x 1
    20. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I am not sure what may have caused your situation, but I think it would probably be either the hormonal changes from the surgery or drugs used during the surgery.

Given more time I think you situation will improve! Definitely follow up with your doctors and ENT to keep trying things.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Mary x

Yes my hearing test was better than the test two years ago. All is fine x

Going for a masker next week. They had ordered the wrong one x

So going to give it a go x

How are you Mary x

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello Jack,

Yes it’s been quite a time and an emotional journey, but I’m healing so it’s going to take time...

I have had tinnitus for 26 years but had habituated. However, I’m not surprised it has magnified after my operation x

I guess it’s still early days...

How are you?

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Hopefully you will recover, or habituate once again @Eleanor89! After that long of a time (26 years!), being okay for years, it's a hard hit to "start all over again".

I know the feeling, being a tinnitus warrior myself for about 15 years, and coping good/habituated for long. Then suddenly everything gets worse in 2019 with tinnitus and sound sensitivity - and the brain sort of need to start all over again to learn to tune the phantom sounds out. In addition to having the challenge with sensitivity.

It may take time to recover, but anything is possible! (y)

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello.

So helpful.

Could you tell me how you dealt with it and how long it took?

I’m getting maskers from the hospital x

25. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Eleanor89

Still dealing with it, 20-21 months in - but I do have more and more good days. Spikes / minor setbacks are unavoidable though, and a part of "the journey" for better days.
      It takes time and patience.

I'm still doing counselling sessions with my audio therapist/audiologist - CBT and sound therapy. I have chosen, from the "new" onset on, not to overprotect my ears, and to find sounds that sooth as much as possible - in order to get a positive association to sound. Even though some days my be a struggle when ears are feeling fatigued.

I use quite low volumes, no headphones, and never mask my tinnitus. But I try to stay away from silence, and enrich and stimulate my auditory system as much as possible. Be it TV on a low volume, comfortable music on low volume, nature sounds such as birds (in natural, outside).

Due to a "cookie bite" mild hearing loss, I did get hearing aids for free to try out, and they have sound therapy options. I use these typically a few hours a day, usually evening when quiet around me. Often with pink noise in the background on a low volume such as the sound will just disappear into the background after a short while.

It's important though, if you have anxiety, to get this under control first.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Can you hear your tinnitus all the time and can I ask what it’s like?

Thank you.

27. MindOverMatter

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Eleanor89, tinnitus is heard 24/7, everywhere/anywhere, yes. Tinnitus is such a subjective issue, so I cannot really describe as it fluctuates and changes a lot all the time.

Even so, habituation is possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Did they test your hearing to 8 kHz or 16 kHz? You have no hearing loss at all? Could it be medication/pain killers and not the operation that increased the tinnitus?

Yes be careful when your ears are sensitive. Ear pain is best to avoid at all cost... I’ve been overprotective outside for 8 months and it’s a relief to not be so afraid outside and also I have not had ear pain for many months.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. Thank you for your reply.

No I haven't had ear pain, just anxious I guess over noise. Some feel loud.

Yes it's been 12 weeks on Thursday since it started. But I'm getting stronger after the op...

I'm getting maskers for my ears in the next couple of weeks. So I will give them a try x

Yes I'm using earplugs when I go out, except when it's quiet - then I take them out.

I went to the hairdressers today, I took the earplugs out when it was quiet but popped them back in later. Which is a good job. The seagulls round here are horrendous...

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Seagulls and motorcycles are two useless annoying things the world doesn’t need...
      Electric roller bikes too but that’s worse for the elderly or blind...

I use earmuffs for the 8 months where motorcycles rally around.
      After that I use ordinary over the ear headphones... I don’t like earplugs, but then again I try to avoid being outside around people.

I hope it calms down for you. The 6 month window is in my book a good realistic period to see progress.