Tinnitus Much Worse Since Loud Music

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by windingshores, Mar 15, 2023.

1. windingshores

windingshores Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      I have had mild tinnitus since 2015 - possibly from an MRI. I also have migraines, vertigo, and numbness on my face, which have all been present from time to time for years.

I went to a loud and long music installation in late January 2023 - feeling stupid. After the noise exposure I experienced ear pain and pressure, very much louder tinnitus in left ear, and increased left facial numbness. As you all know, the tinnitus is very tough at bedtime.

I have seen neurology - they did an occipital nerve block which misfired but that is another story. But more left side pain makes things blurrier.

Anyway, I went to ENT with high hopes today, discussed an episode of vertigo after trying to mask overnight with rain sounds (hyperacusis is a problem, yes). I mentioned steroids and Clonazepam which I have seen mentioned on Tinnitus Talk. Right now I cannot do Tinnitus Retraining Therapy because my ears are so sensitive to noise (I am trying to keep noise in my environment with low volume Netflix etc.). I cannot use earplugs because the pressure change when I take them out causes pain and other issues.

Anyway, after more hearing tests (hearing loss is normal for age) and a long talk, the doctor came in with the PA and their recommendation is... a mouth guard. That's it. They actually wrote "no long term Clonazepam" so now my PCP probably won't prescribe. I didn't ask for long term Clonazepam: I just mentioned a study.

Actually the only good day I have had since late January was when I took 1/2 Clonazepam as an experiment. I also took 2 mg Methylprednisolone but cannot handle even that much.

I believe the teeth marks on my cheek were from chewing gum, not teeth grinding. So the mouth guard didn't seem like a helpful suggestion. I mean, I had a loud noise exposure.

As for Clonazepam, I have had some in my possession for years. I have a history of using three per month. So why won't anyone prescribe them for me? Do I have to go to a psychiatrist?

The ENT said sleep is key in getting better but right now sleep is tough. I also have pain issues on left side of back (fractures) and hip (nerve compression). The pain wakes me up, the tinnitus keeps me awake.

I know the tinnitus can eventually be tolerable at night - I habituated before. But right now I am yo-yoing between ENT, neurology, neuromuscular MD and PCP. Noone is offering much help. PCP ordered 10 pills of Clonazepam. I have an appointment with a research doctor at Mass Eye and Ear - first opening is in August.

I am a positive person. I started an art class, see my kids, take walks, watch Netflix, read good books. I had three natural child births and have seen neurology for 22 years while being pretty easygoing about pain. I have lupus, osteoporosis with 7 spinal fractures, stenosis at neck, breast cancer a few years back, etc.

I expected a doctor to respect what I said and offer help. Instead I am supposed to buy a mouth guard. Sorry, I'm in a black mood right now!

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I've been through similar experiences with my wife regarding doctors assuming one thing and then placing contradicting information into her chart, that then impedes her getting medication that has been helpful to her for years. Really sad.

I've also had doctors ask me if I grind my teeth when I sleep and I always respond with "I don't know, I was asleep". They then don't mention it again, but I'm not sure why. If you (doctor) see evidence, let me know.

3. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      You could try asking for a very limited Rx - like 4x 0.5 mg doses per month.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      windingshores

windingshores Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Thanks all!

I met with the neurologist I have had for 22 years. I had written him at 3 am saying that I have always been easygoing about pain and needed someone to listen to me. He fit me in yesterday and the appointment was helpful. He thinks that maybe putting me in the position for nerve block affected stenosis of spine so I am on low dose steroids (what I can handle) for 10 days and he will give me whatever Clonazepam I need (in the past he gave me 60 pills, which lasted two years). He was empathetic about tinnitus (nothing to do about it of course) and vertigo (hoping an approach to neck will help but I think it was from masking rain sounds all night).

I am learning here that I probably have reactive tinnitus and also right now silence overnight is better for me. Every office I go to I ask them to turn the music down! I have been able to get to sleep with the tinnitus so there must be some improvement. I'm hopeful to again habituate since I had done okay with my (milder) tinnitus since 2015, but the extra loudness since January has been distressing. Feeling like I might be able to cope!

P.S. the doctor wanted to do an MRI. I said I was afraid of the noise. A CT scan won't give the same information. What has been your experience with MRIs?

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      For me, the last two MRIs I had permanently increased my tinnitus and I won't have another one. Note that I was wearing earplugs and the MRI earmuffs. But you might be one of the lucky ones that don't have a permanent increase. Only by getting it done will you know.

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      windingshores

windingshores Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      I am not going to risk it, especially for brain and neck. If my life depends on it, I will rethink.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I believe I first got tinnitus from an MRI in 2015. It improved, and I almost forgot about it. It has been much louder these past two months and if there is still a chance of this ringing quieting, I will make that a priority over any other health issues. I already know my spine is a mess - it was 12 years ago in an MRI!

7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you are going through @windingshores and do understand where you're coming from. All I can suggest, is that you keep in touch with your ENT and family doctor, especially when you feel things are getting too much.

I understand the reasons some doctors don't want to prescribe Clonazepam but I am thankful that my ENT doctor did in 2010. She could see the immense distress tinnitus was causing me. I was advised to only take it when the tinnitus reached very severe levels and not to take it too often. Thankfully I haven't had a problem with it in 12 years. I used to take it once or twice a month, for a brief period of 1 or 2 days, then stop. Sometimes I can go for a whole month without taking it. Your doctor may reconsider and prescribe you Clonazepam since you have found it helpful. If this happens, please try not to take it too often as dependency could set in.

Tinnitus can be such a debilitating condition for some people. Under these circumstances I think doctors should pursue every avenue to help their patients get some relief, even if it's just for a short period of time until hopefully the tinnitus becomes more manageable.

I wish you well,
      Michael

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      windingshores

windingshores Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      My tinnitus is really loud today. Not sure why. I have had some moments of panic. I have not taken any Clonazepam for some time (I take 2-3 pills/month) but I will take one tonight. My tinnitus is the worst at bedtime anyway: I have been going to sleep at the first feeling of sleepiness and also make sure to have an engaging book. I am trying not to project into the future but it's hard having the fear that the rest of my life will feel the way it does right now.

Playing nature sounds (rain) overnight even at low volume, caused vertigo and imbalance the following day. Right now I have silence in the bedroom, which is tough.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      windingshores

windingshores Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Just want to update that I am doing a lot better. I can hear the tinnitus in my ear at this moment, but it is not distressing me. The volume fluctuates. I honestly don't know if it is improved overall or if my brain has habituated but I have stopped noticing it 80% of the time. I am still a little paranoid about noises (leaf blowers in the neighborhood cause me to flee!) but getting less phobic.

I hope this encourages others because I felt kind of desperate a few months ago and wasn't getting much understanding from the ENT I saw.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      I'm going through something similar with a 6-week long spike now, I have reactive elements that suck. So it is reassuring to see you are doing much better!