Tinnitus Onset After Going to Outdoor Shooting Range

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by kyles, Sep 15, 2020.

1. kyles

kyles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Range
      Hi All,

My name is Kyle, and I am 27 years old. Here is my story with tinnitus. Please let me know your feedback or similar stories/experiences.

About a week ago and three days (9/4/2020), I went to an outdoor shooting range and had earplugs in shooting a 9mm handgun. There were about 15-20 other people there. After about an hour of being there, we left. Once I took my earplugs off, my right ear felt clogged up. The clogged feeling went away after two days, but I started to get a ringing in my right ear.

After four days of ringing, I went to an Audiologist, and she said I didn't have any hearing loss. She tested my inner ear hairs as well. She said it should go away after a couple of weeks.

I can't hear it during the day unless I cover both my ears or have it completely silent. At night time I can hear it, but it doesn't keep me up at night (I think it is more of a mild case).

During the first couple of days, I did get stressed-out and would panic about the sound, but after a week, I just ignored it, and it got better. It has been getting better, but I am still unsure if it will go away. I've seen other people say that there hearing tests were positive as well, but it never went away. I want to get more information to educate myself. I am still optimistic about it. Thanks!

Kyle

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      If you can only hear it in silent rooms, consider this a learning experience. Going forward protect your hearing around sounds louder than 80 dB. If noise is extremely loud, ear plugs won't be able to protect against hearing damage so avoid those situations. Things can and will get a lot worse if you don't take this seriously and protect your hearing. Many people here hear their tinnitus 24/7 even in loudish environments.

That being said, tinnitus can reduce naturally over a two year period from what we have seen on here. Some people like to supplement curcumin even though benefits are still being researched. Please do your own research before taking supplements.

Best of luck and protect your hearing!

• Like Like x 1
    3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      You are so freaking lucky, my tinnitus is awful.

Honestly, I'd stop shooting altogether. But... if you were to continue buy the best earmuffs and put them over your plugs.

What you had was an audiological warning sign, which means be super f..ing careful. I never got a warning sign.

If you were my son you wouldn't be given a choice. Sorry I have such strong feelings about this...

Daniel

• Like Like x 1
    4. Juan

Juan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      If you are new to tinnitus it could go away, but your ears may become more sensitive to noise or more prone to tinnitus or hearing damage after this shooting range episode, so be careful with noise in the future, as its effects are cumulative.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Lucy MacLean

Lucy MacLean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Sorry this has happened to you. Hope it will improve! How did the audiologist test your inner hair cells?

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kyles

kyles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Range
      Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am definitely not going back to a shooting range.

Lucy - she used a device that used different tones to check if the ear hairs were responsive. Everything came back ok. That being said, she told me if it keeps persisting to see an ENT doctor for a second opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Tom 2020

Tom 2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shotgun Noise
      On June 28, 2020, I suffered my acoustic trauma incident from a shotgun blast. I went to a shooting range, and I did not yet put my ear protection on, and the guy next to me shot his gun.

I experienced ringing in my left ear a few days after the incident. And in both my ears, there is still a subtle clogged feeling, like if you went on an elevator, and felt you had to unclog your ears. Sometimes when I take a shower, for an hour or so, they feel a bit less clogged. This clogged sensation began with the acoustic trauma.

I also have sensitivity to sound, which month my month is getting better, but slowly.

Thus, the ringing, the clogged feeling and sensitivity to sound keep getting slightly better week after week.

I now don't know if I can ever shoot again if I use earplugs and over the head ear protection. I feel like, since my ears are slowly getting better month by month, do I risk ruining my life if I want to shoot a few times a year with double protection?

I really feel that we should organize to pass a federal law that requires all children in school to have a full hour of required education on ear health. Most Americans do not understand that tinnitus is devastating and often can be avoided.

I now must use a noise machine that plays a fan sound, plus an app that plays cricket sounds, to not go crazy late at night. Isn't that really romantic? Ha. My life has been significantly impacted due to my stupid mistake. I want to think that I can help kids avoid my error, so that some good comes from my error.

On the bright side, for a number of us here, if we protect our ears, there is hope that our hearing will slowly, slowly get better. Life is not easy. But I keep thinking of our military veterans who suffer so much more. So, we must all be strong and try to organize to help kids learn from our challenges.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kyles

kyles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Range
      Tom - thanks for sharing your story, and I wish you the best on your journey to recovery.

I would consult your doctor on going back to a shooting range. My doctor told me to stay away from extremely loud noises/places for a while. My ears are more sensitive. I also had ear protection on and gave me more of a mild case. Your situation may be different.

I am definitely in on spreading the word. When I talk to people about what happened to me, they don't even know you can get something like Tinnitus.

To throw it out there. I am wearing earplugs almost everywhere I go now. I found these Earplugs that work for me and are hidden in your ear from other people. Do your research on your situation. Maybe you need stronger ones. But I like these a lot.

EarDial HiFi Earplugs
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2NTVPA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kyle

9. Lucy MacLean

Lucy MacLean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hi @kyles, that's really interesting regarding the hair cells being tested. Whereabouts are you based? I don’t suppose you have any idea what the test was called? I am very interested. Thanks!

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kyles

kyles Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun Range
      Lucy - I am based in the Silicon Valley in Northern California. Unfortunately, I don't know the test name, but I can try and find out. I am sure most Audiologists understand what the test is, so asks for a hair cell test. I didn't know they had something like that either.

Kyle