Tinnitus Plus Ear Infection — Help!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kuriboh1981, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection/Slight hearing loss/Who knows at this point?
      I’m 34 years old and have been prone to ear infections my entire life. The way I typically know that I have an ear infection is when my eustachian tube gets clogged up. Usually I just take about ten days’ worth of amoxicillin and the infection clears right up. About a week and a half or so ago I woke up with ringing in my left ear and my right ear clogged up. I went in to my local Target Clinic, and I did have the start of an ear infection in y left ear. They gave me amoxicillin, and within a day or two my right ear had unclogged and the ringing in my left ear was gone. Then about Thursday of last week the ringing in my left ear came back and hasn’t gone away since. It’s a persistent buzzing sound and it’s driving me crazy. I went into my local urgent care yesterday and was told that I have a “little bit” of fluid trapped in my middle ear but other than that my ear looks good. I was given azithromycin to clear up any infection that was left, and was told to call my primary doctor for a referral to an ENT if there is no improvement within a couple days. There has hasn’t been any improvement so far, and I’m getting worried. Is this post infection tinnitus going to be a permeant thing? I did listen to music with my headphones once wail on the amoxicillin, could I have permanently damaged my ears? Is there any chance that this tinnitus could go away?

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi ,
      Sometimes ear infections need a double dose with medication to clear a lingering infection .
      Sometimes fluid can get trapped and not drain away with blocked tubes and in some cases grommets fitted .

Try to stay calm and relax and let the medication work and try
      Steam inhalation as can help clear your tubes...
      Your tinnitus as every chance of going.
      Take care...lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard. My personality is such that I need my peace and quiet, and I'm not getting that right now. I'm afraid that I'll never know silence again, but hopefully this infection will completely clear up, the fluid will drain, and my tinnitus really is just temporary.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kuriboh1981
      Terrified

Kuriboh1981 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So I barely got any sleep last night. I'm trying to stay positive but this tinnitus thing is driving me crazy. My doctor doesn't want me to come in until I have finished taking my azithromycin (tomorrow is my last day on antibiotics) but so far the azithromycin hasn't done anything to help me. I've been taking Sudafed to try to clear the fluid out of my middle ear, but that hasn't done anything for me either. I've read a lot of stories about people getting permanent tinnitus after a middle ear infection, and I'm defiantly scared that this will never go away. Tinnitus caused by an ear infection isn't always permanent, right?

5. virginia davis

virginia davis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2003
      m

6. virginia davis

virginia davis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/01/2003
      Mine started with a severe sinus infection that came and went for a couple of years. then suddenly im dx w tinnitis. dont wait! find the problem thats causing the ear infections. could be allergies. up your vit c and eat healthy, exercise and lower your stress. I irrigate sinuses and it lowers the ringing. also try to see if some foods make it worse and avoid them. sadly most drs dont really care, they just want the $ coming in. research this and try to get it stopped before you get nerve damage in your ears. good luck

7. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Mine started with an ear infection as well. I was very prone to ear infections in my younger years, but not so much throughout my adult life.

Then, just like you, at age 34, I came down with a bad infection, and I've had T every since (9 months now).

I know what I probably just typed may freak you out, but don't let it. My T has changed in severity since I first got it, from a pure high tone to more of a hissing/white noise. Even if it doesn't go, I am getting on with life as normal and it only bothers me once in a while. I know that probably seems impossible to you right now, but it will get better. I was in a *terrible* place emotionally in the beginning. I remember breaking down in tears in the parking lot outside the ENTs office telling my wife that I didn't want to live like this. BUT... It gets better. PLUS, it's still very early for you, it may even go away.