Tinnitus Reaction Just After Masking

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mal, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      Dear people,

I have two different tinnitus in my head. I just realised, that they react completely opposite, when I end masking. This made me curious to how you people experience it.

To this extend I became creative in MSPaint to illustrate my two very different experiences with T. Do you experience a) or b) right after you end your masking? Or maybe a c)?

tinnitus masking.png

2. tomm
      Thinking

tomm Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (club drumming)
      With masking, I get c) the volume of T is the same as it was before I started masking.

With generalfuzz's ACRN for up to 2 hours I get b). 4-5 hours of it during deep sleep I get very bad but temporary a).

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      Thanks for your reply, @tomm .

Tinitus complexity simply intrigues me too much.. It's somehow like an identity crisis, and I cannot figure out, how my hearing is working, and how I should react to it.

4. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I would say option C as well -> no change in volume. However, lately I have experienced higher T sound when masking. If I plug my ears while masking, the T volume is lower. I have actually started to think about stopping masking during the night. Maybe start with it (rainfall sound) and then stop / lower it during the night when this happens.

5. russiancarl

russiancarl Member

It depends on the masking for me.

I'm in the A) category when it comes to water. After a shower, or heck even listening to a faucet, my tinnitus is so covered up I can't hear it. However, as soon as it stops its right there and rather loud for a few minutes until I can distract again.

With normal fans and stuff that are more constant I don't notice as much when I enter or leave a room which puts mes in the B) category.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mal
      Wishful

Mal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cinema speakers
      I didn't actually consider different kinds of masking. When I step out of a shower, I experience c), and when I step out of blue noise, I experience a)