Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) 2019 Conference

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Markku, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)

We're on a roll now, here's the next one! Based on one viewer's feedback from the previous video, we reduced the volume of the intro music to make it easier on the ears. Subtitles are there too for those who don't want any sound or can't hear well.

Alain Londero is a very compassionate ENT who really cares about his patients. He's also a great advocate for better tinnitus care in France, trying to educate his fellow physicians on tinnitus and urging them to take tinnitus patients and their distress seriously.

Here he talks mostly about some new research he's involved in regarding the potential use of virtual reality as a tinnitus treatment; making the analogy with phantom limb pain. He also shares his impressions of the TRI conference and thoughts on how to acquire more funding for tinnitus research.

I hope you find it somewhat informative. As always, please give us your feedback!

Cheers,
      Hazel

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

This one is for those with an indepth interest in research. Deborah Hall is perhaps the top expert in assessing outcome measures for tinnitus, i.e. how do we measure whether new tinnitus treatments work. Tinnitus Hub has worked with her on the COMIT'iD study, where patients got to define the key outcome measures for three types of tinnitus interventions: drug therapies, sound therapies, and psychotherapies.

I know this type of content might not appeal to everyone, and we can expect the inevitable "why don't you just find a cure" responses, but... It's easy to lose sight of the fact that when we do find a (partial) cure it will need to be tested before we know whether it really works and for whom. Only then can it become widely available and will patients be assured of what they're spending money and effort on.

Too often in the past, and still today, tinnitus interventions have been studied with small sample sizes, without involving the right experts, without considering placeo or statistical significance, etc. So this topic merits quite some attention, in my humble view :)

• Like Like x 5
    3. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

And here is number four! Prof. Dr. Birgit Mazurek is the head of the Charité Tinnitus Center in Berlin, where in addition to treating patients they also conduct research on tinnitus. Her current focus is on the comorbidities of tinnitus, like chronic pain and depression. She and her team are gathering data to find out how these various conditions are interrelated, and which causes which. They are also looking for objective biomarkers of tinnitus and tinnitus-related distress.

• Like Like x 5
    4. ChrisBoyMonkey

ChrisBoyMonkey Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      U.S. Army/Field Artillery Veteran
      Thank you @Autumnly. I really admire you, and of course @TuxedoCat, @Hazel, and @Markku. :thankyousign:

I wish I could do more to help, but ever since I got worse I've been pretty much debilitated :(

Hopefully I'll get better or over it soon, one way or another...

• Agree Agree x 1
      Want to get a sense of what it's like to attend the largest tinnitus research conference as a patient?
      Watch this video with our general impressions of the Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) conference in Taipei in May 2019.

Read about our seven key take-aways from the TRI conference!

Read reports from different conference sessions and learn about the topics discussed at the conference!

Watch a mini-panel discussions between three of the TRI staff members!

Mini Interviews

Susan Shore on Bimodal Stimulation

Alain Londero on Virtual Reality

Deborah Hall on Study Design for Tinnitus

Birgit Mazurek on Comorbidities of Tinnitus