Tinnitus Retraining Therapy

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Jim, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      tyler is a gigantic TRT supporter

FISHY...

2. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      For those interested, @Dr. Nagler did an extensive comparision of TRT vs. Neuromonics some time ago:
      Source: www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/neuromonics-vs-trt-tinnitus-retraining-therapy.4288/#post-46144

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. @Stink It is not so much that any sound therapy would be bad for me, but that the Neuromonics CEO told me he didn't care that I was having adverse effects, and wouldn't answer my questions. He said if he refunded money to everyone having trouble with the Oasis then Neuromonics would go out of business. I said, "so you have a lot of dissatisfied customers?" He shouted me down refusing to answer any of my questions. Their business model is all about making money, and not about helping people with tinnitus, as demonstrated by the CEO yelling at me throughout the entire conversation. Not a good thing for T. If Neuromonics was definitely doing harm, there should be some recourse. Instead you just purchased a $5000 iPod. That is how they stay in business. Plus the audiologists get approximately half of the fee, so of course they are going to push it. I was told by the CFO that they sell the Oasis to the audiologists for $2540. The rest of the rake off is what the audiologist charges. The research on Neuromonics is with small sample sizes done by the company itself.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In that case, I think you better have a read of some of the proper market analysis data I have compiled for this board...

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/low-level-laser-therapy-lllt-for-tinnitus-%E2%80%94-efficacy-debate.7650/page-8#post-87956

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/low-level-laser-therapy-lllt-for-tinnitus-%E2%80%94-efficacy-debate.7650/page-9#post-88145

5. The dear folks at Neuromonics have no business being in any area of health care. And the company is too small for anything high finance. Even the staff audiologist told me to keep using the Oasis after I explained the adverse effects. Later I discovered her title is "national director of marketing."

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. 111

111 Member

Interesting info, the one below statement from him about Neuromonics is surprising, ( with lots of other statements disputing the device as well ) especially when you consider he was the vice president for clinical affairs for Neuromonics ( tinnitech ) for 2 years from 2002 - 2004, maybe his conscience got the better of him ?

One of the most important differences lies in the fact that Neuromonics is a for-profit company; whereas TRT is a treatment. The Neuromonics company wants as many audiologists as possible to recommend Neuromonics devices to their patients as often as possible – because that is how the Neuromonics company makes a profit and keeps its stockholders happy!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. driven insane

driven insane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2006
      Why? Why are you protecting the reputations of these people?

It's obvious they want to shut down any actual chance for a cure for tinnitus so they can keep their scam (mainly of the elderly) going as long as possible. They're no better than those online scam artists spamming miracle cures. But it's worse because they maintain the illusion of being professionals who actually care about helping people and not lining their pockets.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This is a strawman analogy; the post I was responding to had made the bizarre claim that Drs Vernon and Jasterboff are behind a conspiracy to prevent tinnitus research. Obviously, nothing in either of your posts speaks to that, so, you're trying to take me down a deeper rabbit hole than I'd intended.

However, I did read these posts, and I am not impressed. I don't see a market analysis, I see a bunch of unsubstantiated claims that LLLT is more effective than the numerous studies in to it have been, supported by some scammy practices on behalf of hearing aid companies. I have no problem accepting that hearing aid companies are just as obstructive to research contrary to their bottom line as every other for-profit industry, but they simply do not control enough raw capital for me to believe they are able to offset legitimate research interests to any significant degree. The amount of money in that entire industry is pennies in the bucket compared to pharmaceutical revenues.

At the bottom of one of these posts, you conclude
      As a summary this is a non-sequitor to me. People do pay a lot more than they really need to for their hearing aids as a result of all the things you enumerate -- and the same is true for most/all other durable medical equipment. But, that has nothing to do with the claim that LLLT is as effective (or at all effective). And, I didn't say anything about LLLT; I tend to stay out of those threads because I don't have a dog in that fight.

9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As a general policy, I do not disclose the names of the sources I get information from or send information to (this has been true for "99%" of all the material I have supplied to this board - and I have supplied "tons"; only exception was my stem cell therapy contacts which I had to disclose since another member of TinnitusTalk was going to share his story of the same treatment i.e. it was impossible for me to keep it secret any further by that point...).

The "two key people" I am referring to from the ATA earlier on (in my post above) will remain confidential, but who they are is known to @Markku and to members of Team Awareness.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, I think your wording is too strong. What I will say is that the modus operandi of the ATA seems to be that they prefer to get proposals of interest submitted to them (i.e. "requests for funding" from researchers) rather than take an active leadership role in facilitating the fight for a cure. To me, that's leading-from-behind. Personally, I believe there have been missed opportunities in terms of lobbyism with the Armed Forces, the US Government, and possibly with some of the current otology pharmas. I am not going to go into details about that (and more) because - in part - of the policy of TinnitusTalk that disclosing details of private messages is not allowed. But you can pick up a couple of clues from the following publicly available posts in the "ATA petition"-thread as to why I do not consider the ATA especially effective (I will even highlight a few pieces for you and anyone else reading this):
      (The fact that the 2nd quote from Dr. Nagler was made by someone who is a former president of the ATA speaks "volumes" to me, quite frankly...).

The Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) on the other hand has a much more forward leaning attitude. I should also add that the BTA has been forthcoming to suggestions.

attheedgeofscience
      27/MAR/2015.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      OK, I am going to shock the hell out of myself and maybe some others, as many of you know that I am not a fan of the author of this extensive report that ATEOS pasted into this post ref. a comparison of Nuromonics and TRT.

However, I found it a very well written discourse. Comprehensive, informative, balanced, educational, no vitriol. Plain good stuff...If that/this kind of "reporting" were the norm, I think there would be lot less conflict and a far fewer "dogfights" going on.

Just saying... Best, Zimichael

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    11. driven insane

driven insane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2006
      Alright then.

That's easily the worst. They spend BILLIONS a year on bogus Tinnitus Retraining and "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" and pennies on legitimate research. It' a travesty.

The ATA is standing in the way of war veterans being cured so they can make a buck. But I know enough about the Department of Veterans Affairs to know this scam probably isn't the worst going on right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As always, you - or others - are welcome to join Team Awareness and promote the cause of tinnitus research. As it happens, I have just a ½-hour ago written a post about researchers who could use some funding - no doubt - for further proper pharmacological research:

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/flupirtine-%E2%80%94-another-potassium-channel-opener.5642/page-3#post-102660

I have shared what I can. If we do not within Team Trobalt respect our sources, then we risk that no one will be willing to share any information with us in the future (and that would be even worse). It's a balance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      The Cochrane report has has already comprehensively demolished the arguments in support of TRT.

14. driven insane

driven insane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2006
      No, I understand. Before I wasn't aware how involved you were in things.

15. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      I would like to post another question concerning TRT. It is somehow presented to me as a complex protocol while in fact (at least that is my limited understanding of it) it consist of only 3 basic components:

1. counseling, meaning someone explaining to you the neurophysiology of tinnitus.
      2. Use of devices worn behind the ear and generating broad-band noise to divert attention of the patient away from the tinnitus.
      3. psychological therapy including relaxation exercises etc.

@Dr. Nagler: please correct me if I am wrong. But if this is the case, I personally do not need 1.) , have already tried 2). which does not work with my T (continuous white, pink or whatever colored noise only aggravates it, no soothing effect whatsoever) and maybe, only maybe feel like 3.) might help a certain number of individuals.

What is it exactly that you do in TRT-therapy that exceeds these prementioned points? Can you give me an example of how you implement the protocol in your clinic?

Thank you in advance,

m

• Good Question Good Question x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Agree Agree x 1
    17. I guess this is what separetes a "good clinician" and a bad one(n).

@MarioT, very interesting question as it all seems a bit foggy to me

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. joejunior

joejunior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2001
      I am disappointed to see that TT has effectively a shop front for TRT.

This idea that there are only a few witchdoctors around the world who can do TRT properly is a convenient excuse for when TRT doesnt work. TRT is simply a sham.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am not sure you will get an answer to that - see this thread:
      and this one...

• Like Like x 1
    20. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No it is not and this is speculation on your behalf, if you care to read through the threads you will see that TT has a fair amount of debate on this, for and against and TT do not advocate for any one special treatment, all are given equal amount of discussion good and bad!

This I agree with!

21. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      TRT is a huge scam like all sound treatments.
      It has been proved that all sound therapies does not work and can do only more damage.
      Residual inhibition is not cure or improvement.
      Positive results exist only in biased trials.
      Its a business only for money.
      T is a symptom of a problem only if you fix the problem T will stop and TRT does not fix any
      ear/hearing problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. Sound therapy definitely caused more damage in my case. I was desperate enough to try Neuromomics. Not only did it overstimulate my auditory system, it gave me severe hyperacusis. I went to a Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Clinic for treatment. When I reported the adverse effects I was having, the audiologist and the people at Neuromonics, Inc. told me to keep using it. Clearly they were only interested in the money and not the well-being of the client.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I see there is a new list for TRT practitioners in 2015 for the U.S. and the rest of the world. Maybe this was posted already and for some they are not interested in this treatment. http://www.tinnitus-pjj.com/referral.html

24. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      They are gonna sell so many maskers...I was given one right away by my audiologist before I cured my h and reactive t. I told her I couldn't listen to white noise as my t would react to it, didn't care and gave it to me....Cost the NHS many monies for a useless device which I don't use.

• Funny Funny x 1
    25. Even if people are listed on the TRT practitioners website, I would express caution working with some of them. Check them out very carefully. I unfortunately did not. The person I worked with is listed on the website, and I would not recommend her to anyone. She was lazy and acted like I was bothering her when I contacted her, even though she gave me her personal e-mail address and cell phone number to e-mail and text her with questions. She said I was going to be her "new best friend." Then she was very put out with me when I emailed or texted her for help.

When I was suffering, she only offered platitudes, and nothing of substance. "Keep your chin up," etc. She was always late for appointments, and stood me up for two Skype meetings. I decided not to work with her anymore, so I cancelled one Skype meeting. She was obsessed with my only cancelled appointment. She also forwarded damaging and false health information to people who were not involved in my treatment without my written permission, which I am sure is a violation of federal law. She was only interested in the money and not with helping people. Long story short, it was a horrible experience and it cost me a small fortune. Buyer beware!

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      In the UK, TRT is free on the NHS...So sorry you have to pay....I wish the every country would have a system like the NHS.

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Apparently there is some half-ass TRT practitioners out there that could be rip-off artists as well!:(

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I totally agree. That is one of the reasons I personally have such a problem with the lack of standardization and certification in TRT. In fact, you can call yourself a TRT practitioner without knowing the first thing about TRT. You don't even need to have a background in medicine or audiology to call yourself a TRT practitioner. That is why I have developed a series of questions that every tinnitus sufferer should a clinician before embarking on TRT (or any other treatment protocol for that matter):

· What is the approach the clinician is recommending and why?
      · What type of training has the clinician undergone in the use of that approach?
      · How long has the clinician been using the approach?
      · How many tinnitus sufferers has the clinician treated with the approach?
      · What is the clinician's success rate using the approach?
      · How does the clinician define and measure success?​

stephen nagler

29. @Dr. Nagler I completely agree with you. Unfortunately the person I saw actually claims to have trained with Jasterbroff. She is an AuD, and has been working with tinnitus patients since 1997 or so. She also claimed to have a high success rate, and came highly recommended. She also seemed very burned out and slovenly, but I was so desperate that I went against my intuition and decided to work with her.

I traveled 13 hours each way, with an overnight to see this practitioner on three occasions. We were going to work via Skype in between in-person appointments. She stood me up twice on Skype. She definitely cared more about her time and the money, which became obvious after the first month. I continued working with her for another month because of the time and money I had invested, before deciding to discontinue. I ended up losing a lot of money, with absolutely no return.

She would have passed your questions with flying colors, and still not be a good person with whom to work. She did not keep her word, and because she "had so much experience," she did not listen to me. Your questions are good, but the practitioner also needs to care about working with tinnitus patients, and to also realize that each person may be different. One size does not fit all. There needs to be a differential diagnosis for tinnitus.