Tinnitus-Safe Antibiotic Cream for Folliculitis That Isn't Ototoxic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hyogga, May 19, 2020.

1. Hyogga

Hyogga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 27 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug or noise induced
      I need some advice to choose a safe antibiotic cream. I have folliculitis on my face and may need to use an antibiotic cream to reduce the inflammation and would like help to choose a safe non ototoxic cream. It will be applied on my face near side burns and possibly near the ear (not ear canal).

I got a prescription for a cream called Fucidin cream 2% (Fusidic acid). Is this ototoxic when applied topically?

Are there better choices? Should I worry?

2. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I used Fucidin for dermatitis (on my hand) pre-tinnitus and never had a problem with it. Just skimmed through the patient leaflet, and it's not supposed to cause or worsen tinnitus. In my opinion, it's pretty safe.

If possible, avoid neomycin and other aminoglycosides.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hyogga

Hyogga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 27 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug or noise induced
      I agree aminoglycosides are toxic to ears. How does Fucidin compare to antibiotic creams like mupirocin and bacitracin? Which would be safest in terms of ototoxicity?

I called the pharmacist and asked if it was ok to apply Fucidin 2% cream to my side burns and side of face or back of ear and hope it does not cause tinnitus and hearing loss. She responded saying "as long as you don't put it inside your ear canal".

That's good, it says on the leaflet it does not cause ototoxicity. But still concerned because even when applied topically it can be be absorbed systemically.

4. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Neither of them is supposed to be ototoxic. It's a guessing game, unfortunately. Applying anything topically carries a much lower risk than per os or IV.

Even on leaflets of ointments containing neomycin, the warning is just about toxicity if it goes through your eardrum.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hyogga

Hyogga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 27 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug or noise induced
      How can I treat it naturally? As long as there is no pain it's ok until it heals.

6. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, Aquaphor is merely a skin protectant which soothes rough skin and minor scrapes and cuts. It promotes healing without a real medication. It’s probably as harmless as anything. Good luck.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hyogga

Hyogga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 27 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug or noise induced
      I was advised to use benzoyl peroxide face wash, like benzagel on my face, is this ototoxic?. I will be using it for folliculitis on my face.

8. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I didn’t see the drug on the ototoxic list, so good luck.

9. grime
      In pain

grime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idk, noise? stress? maybe even dormant syphilis returning
      Folliculitis fucking sucks haha I've been fighting it for 2 years now. Staph is a stubborn bacteria and doctors are very unsympathetic to the issue. I'm sorry if this is what you've experienced.
      If I may, I recommend investing in some Chlorhexidine and using it sparingly in problem areas, it's helped me immensely.

But yea both fucidic acid and mupirocin should be fine, I've used both with 0 problems whatsoever. Mupirocin I've used almost daily for like 2 years now, no issues whatsoever. I don't believe they're ototoxic. I could be wrong, this is anecdotal.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hyogga

Hyogga Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 27 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug or noise induced
      Chlorhexidine is ototoxic if it reaches the inner ear but I don't know about benzoyl peroxide. It's ok to wash my face with Benzagel 5% benzoyl peroxide? I have been using Cetaphil gentle cleanser 2x daily, it helps a bit but the inflammation seems difficult to go away. It's been 2 weeks.

The doctor Rx me Fucidin cream 2% but am scared to put it on the lesions on my face fearing ototoxicity.

Any other suggestions?

11. grime
      In pain

grime Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      idk, noise? stress? maybe even dormant syphilis returning
      i know this is super late, hopefully your folliculitis has cleared up.

fucidin is probably safe, I used it for 6 months without bacterial resistance or ototoxicity. Thats obviously anecdotal as are most of my points here but its a particularly long term use and if it does have seriously ototoxic tendencies then i got seriously lucky.

benzoyl peroxide is very safe (from my personal experience) and is also an incredible staph killer. I've been using benzoyl peroxide on and off for over a decade without any complications whatsoever other than dry skin that was easily solved witha good moisturizer.

Also chlorhexidine is ototoxic in the inner ear but its very easy not to use it in the inner ear. If you do use it tho do NOTTT over use it, or any generally microbial agent, as once you lose your native microbiome theres tons of room for complications.

I actually have what could very easily be a chronic urethritis case from this very problem, there are papers pointing out that a dead or seriously compromised microbiome leaves you vulnerable to staph-based urethritis, and i'm very certain thats what happened to me. It sucks horribly and I wouldnt wish it on anyone. so yea be KIND TO YOUR MICROBIOME

but like 2-3 times a week chlorhexidine can be key to reducing the spread and new breakouts.

i wish you luck