Tinnitus Since 1991

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by monkey legs, Jan 3, 2018.

1. monkey legs

monkey legs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1991 (Low level). Worse Dec 2017 to Now
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear injury (paintball) 1991. 2017 > Onwards Cause? Not sure.
      Hi folks!

I have had tinnitus since 1991. Mine happened after getting shot in the ear from a paintball gun, in a paintball tournament.

Just recently I have had a Sinus infection/Cold, and the Tinnitus has got louder I think.

Its strange because before the Sinus infection I coped as if I did not have it at all for all those years, even though it was there.

Its triggered off a lot of panic in me, as now I cant sleep and keep listening for it. I just want to go back to the way I was before. I guess if I adapted before I can adapt again. I think the Sinus infection/cold is making it worse.

I am so tired I can hardly stay awake, but then again I can hardly sleep. LOL us humans are strange creatures.

Best Regards.

Chimp.

2. ZZZK

ZZZK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Sinus/Cold ear stuffiness (which blocks out ambient sounds which help mask some of the T) along with cold medication (which is a stimulant capable of temporarily increasing the volume of the T) can both disrupt your prior habituation by temporarily raising the perceived level of T. You then become hyper aware and hyper focused on the T again which makes it louder and psychologically distressing. You need to consciously block the ruminating thoughts on the T as much as you can. When you catch yourself doing it find something to take your mind off it. Get a white noise generator in your bedroom if you are having trouble sleeping. Just as you adapted to the T from your acute trauma in 1991 you will adapt again even if something has permanently raised your level of T (highly unlikely). However that adaption won't happen unless you make an effort to draw your attention away from your hyper focus on the T and on to something else (get the needle out of that grove in the record if you know what I mean). You can retrain your brain you did it before and you'll do it again. Use your past success to prove it to yourself and give you hope and confidence that you can do so once again.

• Like Like x 2
    3. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hey Chimp,

sinus and colds can build up and last for a quite a while. After things get better, your tinnitus might also fade. There are no guarantees with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum.
      When tinnitus is new or at a new irritating level, and the ringing is causing much anxiety and panic plus sleeplessness, it is advisable to get masking going so you won’t be so anxious and fearful and can sleep better. Stress and anxiety are toxic to T. So try masking if you haven’t done so. When my T was new, I used to mask all day just to prevent panic attacks from hearing my ultra high pitch loud dog whistle T. Try these if you haven't yet. Best of luck. Take good care. God bless.

1) Mask at bed time if having trouble sleeping, by using a sound pillow or sound machine with pillow speakers. There are good sound machine & pillow therapy systems like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Oasis-...d-Oasis-Therapy-System-Speakers/dp/B00MH5HKTA

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an ipod with nature sounds or music using itune. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or T-masking sounds. Use wisdom in the use of headphones or earbuds as extended use or excessive volume may hurt your ears. Try set the volume slightly below that of your tinnitus.

3) With PC & speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds to see which one masks best:

TT's excellent audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘aire freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or click play to mix these sounds with this simple sound generator: http://asoftmurmur.com/

or search youtube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

If you have really high pitch T, you can try this one (turn volume low first):
      MOST POWERFUL TINNITUS SOUND THERAPY 1...

5. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      Being sick and tired in general will make my T much louder or at least the perception of it

I have a good setup at home with a powerful horn super tweeter and a good amp and use this for very high frequencies masking - the myNoise summer night is great with its subsonic cricket sounds

6. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Chimp,

I think you are on the money when you say your sinus/cold has worsened your perception of your t.

It has obviously grabbed your attention and now youre having a hard time shifting your focus away from it.

Are you taking any meds that might have contributed?

You have probably tried the obvious ie, steam inhalation, avoid valsave manoever (i would personally) etc?

I think youll find your t will settle down once your cold $#&)*( off!!!

if not, then you know your brain can adapt. youve done it before.