Tinnitus Spike After Going to a Carnival?

Discussion in 'Support' started by A123Lon, Aug 28, 2019.

1. A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I went out to a carnival 2 days ago with friends who are usually supportive & understanding, but they led us down a small side road where sound systems were blasting. I had earplugs in but I got separated from them and ended up there for about fifteen minutes as there was no exit from that street.

I'm so angry because I went out on the condition we would stay away from the loudest speakers, they ignored it, and now I'm having one of the worst spikes I've had in forever. I've taken one & a half Nytol Max Strength sleeping pills and still can't sleep. I don't even want to see my friends right now but I live with them.

I feel really alone right now & I don't know if this is going to be permanent or not. I already felt like my life was falling apart having ETD and now there's this. I really need this Neuromod thing to work because I can't deal with this being my life. It fucking sucks.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Really sorry to hear this happened you, other people just don't understand. You could try taking magnesium and NAC (N-Acetylsteine). Some people might also recommend you to go to an ENT to get prednisone (ideally, it should be taken within 48 hours of the acoustic trauma taking place) but it's not something you should consider lightly.

Did your fire alarm spike calm down? Crossing my fingers that this will only be a temporary spike for you!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. Astro
      Alone

Astro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      In my experience whenever I'm somewhere loud and have a spike caused from that, it's ALWAYS extreme as well as a bit longer lasting than when it's stress induced. But it has never stayed, it always goes back to the normal level after a week.

• Informative Informative x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Thank you, I'm already taking magnesium a few times a day. My fire alarm spike did go down but I don't even feel like I'd fully recovered from that before this happening, which is another reason I'm worried. Especially because I had another spike in between this & the fire alarm, when a motorbike gang with all their sound compressors removed revved up their fifteen or so engines right next to me on the street, which was like 2/3 weeks ago... I don't think you can get predsinone in the UK, I asked at my GP after the fire alarm but they didn't know about it. This spike is so much worse though so I might try again.

I'm hoping this is the case because this spike is honestly so so bad that I don't know how I could possibly live with my tinnitus at this level. I'm honestly really scared.

5. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      A short course of oral prednisone is not too bad. 1-2 weeks 50-60 mg pills.

6. Adil Bari

Adil Bari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise DJ
      Hey man I recently have taken CBD oil and CBD edibles before bed and it masks the ringing for me! Try it out!! There are a bunch of CBD dispensaries around now.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I live in the UK & dont have much money right now so I wasn't able to get this.

I'm gonna try this when i get paid although cbd usually spikes for me. I'm not having much trouble falling asleep now just being awake is unbearable.

a week later nothing has calmed down, it might even be louder than before. I'm starting to really panic cause this is the loudest it's ever been for a longer period of time. I hate myself so much right now. Could this just be new trauma & a new baseline, I can't imagine life at this level it's making me want to die.

8. Adil Bari

Adil Bari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise DJ

From the CBD?? I'm really sorry to hear that man. I can't speak for you, but maybe it seems louder because your brain is looking very hard for a difference, so you hear it more clearly and louder.

You have tried pink noise sound therapy right?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      No it's definitely louder, sounds that used to almost completely drown it out barely cover it now. I think I might have even developed a new tone. I'm getting regularly woken up by it screaming at me. I'm managing now but if it doesn't go away I'm gonna have a full on breakdown.

I haven't tried that pink noise, no, what is it? Could it get rid of this new level?

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      You sound like you'er in a similar position to me... a noise exposure and now your tinnitus has increased.

How long where you exposed to a fire alarm? Did your predominant tone just seem to increase? How long exactly did it take to settle and when it had increased was it constant or fluctuating?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      It wasn't the fire alarm this time, it was the sound systems, and I was exposed for about fifteen minutes wearing earplugs, I can't believe this has happened because I've been on nights out & used to DJ & I never had a reaction like this so I'm just so upset that when I was trying to take precautions is when this happened. This new tone is like twice the volume.

With the fire alarm I can't exactly remember if it did settle because I really tried to push it out of my mind so I wasn't really thinking about it, I don't think the damage from the fire alarm lasted long, it was the same tone I usually hear but louder & it was constant, I'd say maybe 2 weeks to settle? I was only exposed for a few seconds at a time while I removed my fingers from my ears to pick up the key to turn it off with and to turn it off.

I'm kind of giving up hope that this new level of tinnitus is gonna disappear now. I'm getting the feeling that with tinnitus life just gets harder & harder rather than easier to deal with.

How long have you had your tinnitus louder after the noise exposure? Has it showed any signs of calming?

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My tinnitus got worse last October. It settled slightly a good few months later and I was getting quiet days but recently I suffered a very brief exposure to a fire alarm and I've been doing this Lenire treatment and things are all aggravated again.

I don't know if this is yet another new baseline but its wrecking me. My tinnitus gets worse as the say goes on.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      A123Lon
      Dramaqueen

A123Lon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      It's been a month since I was exposed to the noise trauma and I'm still experiencing a higher level of tinnitus than I ever was before. Could this be a spike? Everything is telling me it isn't. I'm getting really depressed cause I cant stand this new level of noise I have. Has anyone else had a new level return to normal after over a month? I feel like I've gone from a 3/4 to a 5/6. I seriously am not enjoying living/being alive right now. If I could just disappear without causing damage I think I would do it. If Lenire or one of the others doesn't work... between this and ETD I just don't want to carry on living, I'm only 25 & it's completely shit & I hate it.

14. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I completely feel you on this. I’m 22 and I’ve only been dealing with my spike for 5 days after hearing a fire alarm for about 2-3 min with no protection and I’m ready to give up. I’m so scared it will keep getting worse too, as I seem to hear a far off alarm/hyperacusis is getting worse as the days go on. No one except for people with this terrible condition understand or even try to it seems.

I hope it’s gotten at least a little better for you. Are you doing any better at all?

• Hug Hug x 2