Tinnitus Spiked Because of Own Voice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JurgenG, Oct 29, 2017.

1. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've posted since I was doing better.

I've had tinnitus since 10 months, also developing some kind of hyperacusis because overprotecting. Lately my tinnitus was very very good, and only audible in quiet rooms when focusing on it. That's the good part.

Yesterday I went to eat with a big group of friends on a local event, it was quiet loud +-85-90 dB so I used my strongest filters, -26 dB in my premolds.
      But every time I spoke my own voice felt quite loud (especially in one ear). After a while I started opening one plug whenever I spoke, so the inclusion effect was less. (Background noise wasn't painful either, and it was only a couple of seconds each time)

But it didn't help, because all of a sudden I got a sudden spike in the ear where my voice seemed the loudest.
      This spike lasted for around half an hour, and I left, it's a bit better now.
      It was/is an amplified version of my "normal" tinnitus.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?
      Is is possible that my eustachian tubes on one side are too wide open, or how is it possible that my own voice makes my ear hiss?

Wondering if I should start another prednisone course?
      I have a few Medrol (predisone) tablets laying around, so I could take a few. (I've done in the past for less things).

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @JurgenG,

I would suggest you speak to your doctor. S/he may have a better understanding of what is going on.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's more likely to just be the loud environment, earplugs or not.

I did give myself a temporary threshold shift a few days ago by screaming at the top of my lungs in an enclosed space (frightened by an unexpected beetle!) -- but that's a pretty extreme example.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did protect myself of the environment though, I already get uncomfortable if it's more than 70 dB.
      And it's only the ear where I had the occlusion effect the most.

Wonder if it's a good idea to take a 32 mg medrol tablet, I've done this in the past whenever I thought I needed it, but I wanted to stop doing this because of the risks associated with it.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I suggest you ride it out @JurgenG and try not to get too stressed over the spike. And please don't g0 to the doctor for Predisone, that really isn't the answer. Just take things easy and relax. Carry on as you are and don't use the earplugs too much. They cause more harm than good by Lowering the loudness threshold of the Auditory system making it more sensitive to sound.

Michael

6. SCORPION

SCORPION Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Usmc shooting weapons
      One day at a time my friend . Just relax if does not kill you it will only make you stronger! Go to your doctor and discuss your options don't always reach for the pills . But do it your way and good luck to you ...

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks guys, I suspect that my ears are just overly sensitive.. this is kinda of a hard problem though. In the end I won't be able to go anywhere anymore..

@Michael Leigh I've got some tablets laying around. I did take them from time to time in the past, for a day or a couple of days after a new loud(er) noise.

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I fully agree. I was bored on Saturday night and walked into a sports bar and they had the world series on. Man o man, it got so so loud in there, I quickly drank my glass of wine and left. I could not stay in that area for more than 25-30 minutes. The fans cheering was super loud and it exceeded safe levels.

taking pred each time when exposed to loud noise, it simply not healthy. Sure, there are times when it is really needed. Pred is a medicine folks and it can be helpful but also, it can bring on side effects as well. Don't get into a habit of popping them, it's not healthy.

That sports bar was very loud and my ears did spike in the morning, but I didn't think about it and the spike went away in 1-2 hours....

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sorry to hear about this @fishbone but good to know there was no lasting problems...

11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's all good. It was saturday night and I could not stay home. I was looking for a local wine lounge and i wanted to go there to meet some new gals. I couldn't find a spot, so i ended up in a local sports bar (Last time i go to one of those again). This sports bar was full of screaming baseball fans and it was crazy in there.

I am not bothered by the blitzing/loud/annoying tinnitus. What bothers me, is that it gets so so loud that it covers my hearing and that is the part i hate. I will not put a hearing aid in my ear, as it ruins my sex appeal.

So it makes things a bit harder and I have to really focus, super hard on the ladies, when I am talking to them.

I woke up in the morning and I heard 4-5 new noises this morning (tinnitus noises). Eventually they faded and now i'm stuck with 2-3 of them. It's not enjoyable, but as i always say....IT IS-WHAT IT IS...

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I fully agree with you on this. When I was issued with two white noise generators that look the same as hearing aids I didn't want to wear them when out and about but used at home they were fine. I bought a pair of Micro white noise generators, that fit in the entrance to the ear canal and are very discrete. Much better and never felt self conscious when wearing them.

Michael

13. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In all honesty, hearing aids would be helpful to me and could greatly improve my dialogues with the gals I am dating. Only bad part is that, these women that I am dating lately and talking to are model type and very exotic. Yes, they may be super beautiful on the outside and sometimes not so beautiful on the inside. Right now, I'm dating these kinds and the tinnitus is so so loud that hearing them is kinda hard. I do have a hearing aid that does go completely in the canal, but i feel that it's still noticeable. It's a catch 22, but thats ok...I ask them to repeat or speak louder if i cannot pick up the tones of their voices. It's never easy, but thats ok, nothing has ever been easy for me in my life...

14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll further discuss my story, in my own thread.....sorry to OP :)

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand where you are coming from. If it were me and the hearing aid is discrete as you say then I would wear then considering they will help lower the tinnitus over time especially when worn often. As you know @fishbone, any loss of hearing forces the brain to increase its background activity and will therefore increase tinnitus. Many people with some hearing impairment produce tinnitus but when fitted with a hearing aid/s after a while the tinnitus is reduced or goes away completely.

Regarding the women that you are dating. Whilst the looks of a person is important it is something that I have always guarded myself against for I tend look far beyond this. Although I agree initially the looks of a woman will spark my interest but this soon wanes and I look towards her character. The person behind what is first presented to me. As that saying goes and is to very true: Seeing a person and living with them are two different things.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JurgenG
      Approved

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am gonna up this "old topic" of me, because I have a general question about "hearing your own voice".
      Sometimes I hear my own voice a bit louder than other times, also I hear it louder in one ear than the other.

Does anyone else knows why? Is there a danger? Is it possible my Tensor tympani not working properly?

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If you are concerned about this @JurgenG and it seems like you are and rightly so. Make an appointment at ENT and get tests done. With respect, it is this type of thing that will cause to your worry, induce stress and ultimately make your symptoms worse. Please get a referral to ENT and put your mind at rest.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    18. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Dam fishbone, you getting r done for real!

• Like Like x 1