Tinnitus Spikes from Conference Calls

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jeff Chausse, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Jeff Chausse
      Curious

Jeff Chausse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hi everyone,

I've had tinnitus since I was a teenager. I went to a lot of loud concerts without ear protection, but I vividly remember sitting right next to a giant speaker at a concert one night and I'm pretty sure I permanently damaged my hearing that night. So, for ages I've had a low level of tinnitus that only really bothered me when I was in a silent room. I hear a steady high pitched tone, or more like a collection of similar tones (like a high pitched dial tone). An oscillating fan or road noise when driving, or any kind of running water generally drowns it out.

I never really thought about it too much until about a month ago when I noticed a much louder pitch in my left ear only, which was a lot harder to mask. I had just gone on blood pressure medication, so I was worried it was a side effect, but it eventually died down. I though it might have been caused by sugar or by sodium, but I eventually realized the spikes were caused by conference calls!

I rarely talk on the phone, but I often work from home and have to take long conference calls. Something about the poor audio quality, and the stop/start nature of how people talk on conference calls sets off a massive ringing in my left ear (though I listen on stereo headphones) that will last for hours. If I try to use speakerphone it's even worse. I get a massive throbbing in both ears.

I'm still experimenting with my diet to see if there are dietary triggers for spikes, but I'm curious if others have similar problems with phone calls.

Well, I just joined the site and wanted to introduce myself. I wish everyone here luck in their journeys...

Jeff

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. MikeL1972

MikeL1972 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uknown
      Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the site.

One suggestion I can provide is to avoid using any headphones or other listening device!

As for diet, that may also have a correlation. Stay away from excess sugar and salt, fats, etc. I'm sure the doctor who prescribed your med for high BP went over that with you! Good luck!

3. MrBonk

MrBonk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD/Insane sinus congestion/TMJ/mold allergy/dog bark??????
      Sounds like a certain frequency or band of broadband noise is triggering something. Certain sounds can trigger mine too. Like loud hissing fans, or an ATV engine when wearing earplugs.

My father, who doesn't have 24/7 T, gets T triggered by Pure tone sounds in audiometry, which lasts for a while afterwards and it drowns other sounds out. And he has severe hearing loss.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jeff Chausse
      Curious

Jeff Chausse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Hi, folks. I'm realizing now I'm probably actually dealing with hyperacusis when it comes to the phone issue. It comes and goes, and is a totally different tone than my tinnitus, which actually seems to have stayed at the low level I'm used to. I have my first appointment with an ENT in a few weeks. Looking forward to some answers.

And I know that with HBP, I should really take it easy on the sugar and salt, but I'm realizing those might have been a red herring with hyperacusis. When I eat unhealthy food, I'm usually either watching TV, at a noisy restaurant, or around my noisy kids. Hmmmm...

5. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
    6. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I was with my boss on a phone call trying to explain something technical to him. After 10 minutes into the conversation, I feel my entire head was ringing. Can anyone tell if they get like that. Had to do some breathing and relax then I feel better again. Can’t have a good conversation anymore.

7. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I always use speaker phone. I'm afraid to put a phone to my ear because a phone is how I got T in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I will do that next time . Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    9. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      My finger hit that by accident. Very sorry

10. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Rajin ~ no problem. :)

I actually got T from a conference call where the facilitator was causing a lot of feedback. My handset was set to speaker phone and I didn't realize it. I put it to my ear and the feedback blasted my ear. My ear was instantly ringing and it never stopped.

Now I don't like to put a phone to my ear because of possible mistakes like that. Plus, there can be loud noises through the phone like the high-pitched tones you hear when a number is no longer in service or when you accidentally dial a fax machine. If that happens, I don't want the phone pressed to my ear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      I got T a similar way a high audible tone from my truck . Blasted 1cm from my ears. Ringing that day until now. Never taught about the phone can so that too. Another tone I may end up worse than I am now. Really appreciate you telling me this. It will help other too. Thank again.