Feedback Tinnitus Talk Audio Player

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by James, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Like Like x 2
    2. @Steve Thanks for the tips on Acoustic Neuromodulation. I will give it a try. Interrupting the sounds makes a lot of sense at this point.

Yes, it dropped a complete octave in pitch and has reduced in volume by 80% today. The pitch stays lower but the volume fluctuates up and down. That eighth cranial nerve is still pretty irritated; it takes time for this nerve to settle down.

In reading about it, the eighth cranial nerve is the most delicate of the cranial nerves. One little bruise during surgery, and you can lose your hearing. And here I am sitting here, no hearing loss!

3. @Markku Thanks, these are even better tone generators. You always come up with such great resources. I so appreciate it!

4. @Steve and @Markku I listened to the Neuromodulation downloads, and they are much a higher pitch than my noise is now. Also my noise is pulsitile in nature, because of the artery pressing on the nerve for so long (microvascular compression syndrome). Interrupting the signal makes sense, but I am wondering if I should listen to something at a lower pitch? Would random music have a similar effect? Just curious about your take on this, given your knowledge and experience with this technique.

5. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      The tones on those files are from roughly 100Hz to 10KHz so they are stimulating across a wide range. If the sound is pulsatile then an audio therapy isn't likely to help. That suggests that it is related to the surgery and will settle down (your Doctor will be able to advise properly). If so, the best thing is probably distraction and letting the natural healing take its course.

For my money I would suggest to just find things that you like to listen to, that are pleasing and don't in any way irritate or annoy your ears.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Thanks @Steve. Makes sense to me. I didn't realize that the tones in those files were stimulating such a wide range. Distraction and natural healing, plus listening to things that are pleasing definitely seem like the way to go.

Can audio therapy still help with hyperacusis in this case? As the T decreases in pitch, the H seems to become less severe.

7. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      @Steve could you add a sound for air condition machine? or a basic fan? i'd prefer air condition...maybe both

8. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A fan I can definitely do, I have one at home I can record today.

Air conditioning isn't so easy, I live in the North of England so air-con isn't common in the home.

I am going shopping later today though, my local supermarket has an amazing sounding fridge that I'll record, as long as there aren't too many noisy people around.

9. @Steve What is the difference between blue noise and purple noise on the Audio Player?

10. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi sv,

Blue noise and purple noise are the same kind (sort of), they both get louder the higher the frequency. The difference is that purple has a sharper rise. Essentially there is more high frequency and less low frequency content in purple.

I'm going to add a good few things in the next few days, some good water sounds amongst them, I'll update here when I do.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Anthony C

Anthony C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firecracker
      I just want to thank Steve. Your Ball Melody has really saved my life. Something about those sounds works for me. Just know that the time you put into making those audio files was so worth it and you should know that it is appreciated.

12. Bo Krogsgaard
      Lurking

Bo Krogsgaard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011, not sure when
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock and roll
      That was the one i used (actually, Tomasz' site led me here). I would like to drop in a note about it, as well as other tone generators. Many cheap onboard sound chipsets completely drop off above 12KHz, which includes most Realtek 688 chipsets, so if you go above 12KHz and cannot hear a thing, it is not necessarily your hearing at fault.

So basically, if you can hear a higher frequency through your computer, both your ears and your sound card are somewhat functional - if not, it is probably not your hearing at fault. I have tested this on four different computers (all based on the 688 chipset) and all of them cut off at the 12KHz level (completely standard Win XP / Win 7 / Snow Leopard / Lion machines).

13. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      I use the audio player at work. My faves are blue noise, purple noise and river with cicadas. My office is too quiet and this gives me relief on bad days--it helps me to focus on the task at hand. I can't focus as well on my work with the radio--it has to be a neutral noise without lyrics. Thank you @Steve.

14. Astrid.R

Astrid.R Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Steve
      Hi Steve, I am new to the forum but I had tinnitus for 2 years now. I want to thank you for the music, it really helps me a lot! Especially the first song 'ball melody', whenever I feel my high pitch, this song is such a release.

However, the problem is when I play it by my phone, it always stops after one song and I need to click again. And sometimes when I don't have internet I can't listen to it.

So I wonder is it possible I can download this song (ball melody)?

Thanks a lot.

• Like Like x 1