Feedback Tinnitus Talk Audio Player

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by James, Sep 13, 2013.

1. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Masking doesn’t really work for me too well, but I think this helps.

The Tinnitus Talk Audio Player has some great sounds.

Thank you Markku and all, for a unique web site.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Grant1

Grant1 Member

Thank you Markku. I like river and cicada.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @Steve is the creator of the audio tracks. Without him there would be none, so remember to thank him. :)

• Like Like x 1
    4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I've been listening to the "Musical Neuronmodulation" sounds with headphones and my tinnitus almost disappears during the session. About 90% !!! My tinnitus is the high pitched "TV hissing" kind of sound, different pitches in each ear. A big THANK you to whoever came up with this !!!!!!!!!!!! It's not the usual masking sound is it? Anyone else have some sounds or a website with sounds like this?

5. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Nice! Do you have a link to what you're listen to?

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      @Misery : The TT music player is on the main page on the middle right. Click on it to play and see the different sounds.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Amanda~
      Depressed

Amanda~ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've Had it as long as I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm in love with the audio player it helps me focus on reading instead of my T and it doesn't bother my H. The audio player is a beautiful thing indeed :love:

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      You know, it's such an under-used feature. We really thought it would be massive for people when we added it too.

Thanks for the feedback, we keep meaning to add some tracks to it so now we have a reason to do that. Which ones work the best for you?

9. Amanda~
      Depressed

Amanda~ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I've Had it as long as I can remember
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm surprised more people don't use it, maybe they don't realize it's there?
      The ones I find myself going back to are "birdsong and water" and "small river waterfall"

• Like Like x 2
    10. I do not know about it. How do I access it? Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Underneath "new replies" on the the right of the main page there's a green button for the audio player.

I've got a few more recordings of water so I'll get to mixing them down and add to the playlist.

• Genius Genius x 1
    12. @Steve Found it. I love it! The purple noise seems to be close to the sound of my T. I also like the birdsong and water. What do you recommend for listening time, etc.? This is a great feature. Thanks @amanda for commenting on the audio player. I will definitely use it now that I know it is there. Thanks for providing it Steve!

• Like Like x 2
    13. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @svintegrity No recommendations for listening time, it's just sound enrichment to take your mind away from the tinnitus.

@Amanda~ I will ask my tech wizard to add a couple of extra tracks to it now, both with water sounds. @Markku could you please oblige? (in our Gdrive, both 8 min MP3)

• Like Like x 2
    14. Carlo
      Balanced

Carlo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2013
      Steve, I have to thank you. Musical neuronmodulation file saved me in the past when T was bothering. The only way to calm down it (15 min. listening was enough)

15. @Steve I am listening to the audio player on my iPhone plugged into a bigger sound system. Is that okay? You have quite a variety on the playlist. Since my surgery, I can use audio. Before my surgery, any more noise just made the T worse. Thanks for providing the audio player on the site!

• Like Like x 1
    16. @Carlo and @Steve I like the musical neuromodulation file too. Steve, is this something that you developed? Impressive!

17. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Water and Noise & Water and Twinkle added.

• Like Like x 3
    18. @Markku I like the water and noise. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. Based on the theory of acoustic neuromodulation, just playing with musical tones with same timings. Seems to work for a lot of people who've tried it - one day we should do some research with it to see if it really helps over time.

You can listen to the tracks any way you like, nothing particularly special about them that needs to be heard in a certain manner. It's the way that feels best to your ears that counts.

@Carlo I'm very pleased to hear it has helped you; it works for me, seems to flatten my tinnitus and make it less bothersome for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
    20. @Steve I think some future research on musical neuromodulation would be fascinating. You did an amazing job with this file. I like your approach of what feels good to the ears as the key point. Thank you so much for sharing these files. I have been enjoying experimenting with them.

• Like Like x 1
    21. skoupidis

skoupidis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma or mvc
      These are really great masking tones! Mine is also close to the purple noise. Could be because I also have mvc? But this sound (purple noise) in not pulsatile, is it?

22. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you imagine white noise, which is equal across the whole frequency spectrum, you then cut / boost parts of that to get different coloured noise.

Purple noise looks like this if you analyse the frequency, cutting out low frequencies and getting louder the higher the frequency.
      Screen Shot 2015-04-03 at 16.10.30.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. @Steve and @Markku The audio player is such a great resource! Thank you so much for making it available to TT. I spent last evening listening to the different files. To my surprise, some of them actually mask my noise now. Prior to surgery, it was utterly unmaskable.

The Birdsong and Water is one of my favorites, and the purple noise completely masks my tinnitus. Does that mean that purple noise will help with my H?

I appreciate the visual on the frequency range of violet noise. It gives me a better understanding of the different colored noise. I am assuming that purple noise and violet noise are the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. I also played each of the files on the Audio Player for my husband. He is teaching a unit on Neuroscience soon. He plans to show a video of my surgery and have the students do the vestibular exercises. He was excited about the Audio Player and plans to use the files in his Neuroscience unit. He was an electronics technician in the Air Force and has a good understanding of the frequencies, etc. He joins me in being amazed and grateful for the service you provide through Tinnitus Talk. He especially liked Musical Neuromodulation, and thinks his students will really like it too.

@Amanda~ If it weren't for your post, I would have completely missed out on this valuable resource. Thank you so much!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. @skoupidis No, the purple noise is not pulsitlie. It is more broadband. Correct me if I am wrong @Steve

Thanks!

26. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've got a number of files and other things that use audio techniques so I can send some more if it's helpful.

Violet and purple are the same, just different names - I prefer using purple as the name. And as you said no it isn't pulsatile, either in sound or as a treatment.

The traditional treatment for H is pink noise, which is quite opposite in principle to purple noise. It boosts the lower frequencies and cuts the high, working on the principle that H usually gives a sensitivity to high frequencies. It looks like this:
      Screen Shot 2015-04-04 at 10.43.02.png

• Like Like x 1
    27. @Steve I just measured my T with a tone generator. Before surgery, I was at a constant 4 kHz. Post surgery I am at about 1.7 kHz. What would that mean for audio therapy? Is there a certain audio track on the Audio Player, or type of noise you would recommend?

28. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's quite a big drop, over an octave in pitch.

In my untrained opinion I would think about how to interrupt the noise. It seems to be moving as response to removing the cause so it makes sense to try and interrupt the signal. Acoustic Neuromodulation as a technique aims to interrupt the signal and expects the tinnitus tone to change so it seems like a reasonable way to approach it. There are four variations you can try in our downloads section, see if they have an effect for you, flattening or lowering tinnitus. Find them here https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/neuromodulation.7700/

In general I would probably treat it like you have just got tinnitus and use what you can to ignore the sound, to stop it from taking hold in the brain.

• Like Like x 1
    29. NiNyu

NiNyu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma? stress?
      How can you measure your T?

30. @NiNyu You can go to onlinetonegenerator.com and download it onto your phone or iPad. There are several others, but this is the one I used. I also had my T measured at a Tinnitus and Hyperacusis Clinic. I compared the results from the Clinic to what I got on the tone generator and they were the same. But after surgery, my noise has reduced a complete octave. @Steve may have a better suggestion for a tone generator though.