Tinnitus Tantalizingly Shuts Off for 1 Second and Then...

Discussion in 'Support' started by mock turtle, Feb 15, 2012.

1. mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      ive been experiencing a very weird variation on tinnitus

i got three noises usually going on in my head at the same time...ringing, hiss and a very high frequency EEEEEEEEEEE that seems to match up with sample sounds on youtube of about 8k hz

but in the past few weeks i get this sound thats like pronouncing the word SIP very slowly,,, an at the end of the sound all the usual tinnitus is gone for one second and then replaced by a pure tone around an octave or two above middle C and that lasts for less than 30 seconds an then its back to the same old tinnitus with the three sounds mentioned above

very very weird

anybody else out there get strange breaks and momentary changes in the T you experience?

best wishes
      mock turtle

2. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Yes I have experienced this, I hear multiple tones on an ongoing basis like yourself, and last monday whilst working away in the very quiet office, I experienced a passing raised eeeee ( for a second) then I became tinnitus free for 5 seconds, I jumped up as It was so silent I thought I gone entirely deaf, I clicked my fingers and heard them so clear, but seconds later the whole orchestra started up again :confused:

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mock turtle

mock turtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/26/1992...habituated after 2 years; 11/04/11 new outbreak
      very strange...brief moment of near silence and then, bam, that ugly T is back

almost as if the system is trying desperately to reset itself , succeeds ever so briefly but then, again, is overwhelmed

very sad

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Dear goodness!!

I experienced this kind of a phenomenon last night when lying on the bed before sleep.

All of a sudden both of my ears had this all new, very short-lasting (two seconds?) new sound, like an aircraft engine revving up in 2 seconds and right after that bam, I experienced complete, utter silence for two or three seconds. Max 4.

You know, even that extremely short duration of time was enough for me to experience the wondering joy that had me thinking in that moment "is this how my tinnitus stopped, all of a sudden?"

It's like my thoughts and emotions rushed in that short moment, I could say I was sort of shocked to not hear any noises whatsoever.

Then it appeared like the tinnitus was stronger: it again started dominating my ears/brain and the usual noise came right back.

I don't recall experiencing a moment like this before. Although I have experienced "fleeting tinnitus" every once in a while where my tinnitus goes crazy, a really high pitched-ringing (louder in volume too) appears out of nowhere, stays there for 30-60 seconds and then disappears and the noise returns to normal.

5. Jon Wayne

Jon Wayne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      i'd kill to get 4 secs of silence, i'm so sick of this,
      what did cause your tinnitus markku?, if i may ask

6. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      Just goes to show Markku, T can go as quick as It comes. That silence is golden though eh..

7. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I had my ears syringed in spring 2010 and right after that, like the moment after he was done syringing my ears I could hear the high-pitched ringing. And the second tinnitus noise, the sort of a clicking noise, I noticed some days later.

It's baffled me ever since, because syringing in itself isn't loud enough to cause tinnitus, but still it's agreed upon that it can be the cause (and has been for many folks). As far as I know, the reason behind it being able to cause tinnitus isn't clearly known (which at this point of time doesn't really surprise me).

@joe: agreed, if only could I persuade my brain to ignore/stop the tinnitus like it seemed to do for a couple of seconds. Huh...!

8. joe

joe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2011
      You don't need to convince ur brain, it's the glutamine granules that are sitting on your receptors you need to convince to go away !!

9. Tha_b_man

Tha_b_man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1/2009
      "Although I have experienced "fleeting tinnitus" every once in a while where my tinnitus goes crazy, a really high pitched-ringing (louder in volume too) appears out of nowhere, stays there for 30-60 seconds and then disappears and the noise returns to normal."

I have those types of episodes as well. Generally when that happens I have the joy of a DEATH GRIP panic attack.:eek:

10. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I wanted to put a thread out on this topic, then I found this one.
      Just had a 2 second silence, then a 10 second big spike and now T is low again and switched from 1 ear to the other. My first tought: wow that must be some huge noise I heard because.. I didn't hear anything for a bit. Second tought: Perhaps its healing. Anyway, guess I am not the only one with such an experience.

I hope you habituated and are doing well Mock Turtle.
      Regards,
      John

11. Jack Barnes

Jack Barnes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I get a half-second pause of silence fairly often. I'm pretty sure it's fleeting T related because sometimes when it happens it's followed by temporary loud T that lasts 1-15 minutes.

12. John_415

John_415 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      20-12-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My T went down after the event. Its probably the after-effect of prednison and HBOT. Last couple days (after the event) have seen a decrease in T for me. I think the heightend T post-prednison usage is wearing off, which is great.
      Anyway, this is all very mysterious to me.