Tinnitus Week 2018 / Day 2: How Do You Manage Your Sleep with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Today's question is similar to yesterday's, but this time we ask you about who do you manage your sleep with tinnitus?

Do you use sound enrichment at night? What kind of sounds do you prefer most? Do you take any supplements for sleep? Or any drugs? Or is getting a good night's sleep no problem for you at all?

We want to get you talking about tinnitus and in doing so, help others who may be needing some support. So together with the other international organisations involved in Tinnitus Week, we will be posting a question a day.

TinnitusWeek-Tuesday.jpg

Comment below. You can also respond to our Facebook post.

2. Sirikun

Sirikun Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress
      I am in Thailand and do not have good English. I have been suffering with tinnitus for 3 months. I read this forum everyday to get support from many of you. I would like to answer your questions as follows
      1. I have to open app with iPad with my sleep every night
      2. I take 1 rivotril before sleep

There is less information about tinnitus here in Thailand and no any clinical treatment. I just try to live with it like most doctors said.

• Like Like x 1
    3. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      First and foremost my nightly ritual is to drink some Sleepy tea from Bigelow Benefits. It's a chamomile and lavender herbal tea that I drink about an hour, hour and a half before I actually lay down to sleep. It definitely helps knock me out as shortly before I lie down I usually notice myself start to nod off pretty hard.

When I get into bed I sleep the vast majority of the night on my back with a pillow under my knees. The only other thing I do, as I mentioned in the previous post, is I use a Lectrofan machine to play some noise. At first I was using a higher pitched white noise but now I've taken to listening to one of the fan noises on the machine.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      In the beginning I used sounds of all types and OTC medications, Benadryl, Melatonin and Costco sells a good OTC sleeping aid. For reasons I don't understand, don't want to question and am grateful for, I am now sleeping well with no help. The only problem is as soon as I wake up I have to get up because the tinnitus is very loud in the morning until I get in the shower and start doing things.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rohit Saluja
      Alienated

Rohit Saluja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 weeks
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced and sinus infection
      Relaxio app
      Melatonin
      Magnesium
      TRT

6. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Here, here @Ambassador.
      Tinnitus is a bitch in the first couple of years as far as sleep is concerned.
      Then it becomes a lullaby. I use nothing for sleep and i have my old pre-tinnitus sleeping pattern going again.

If you MUST use something, just get some melatonin. 1mg is more than enough, 1 hour before sleep. If that doesn't work, work on your anxiety, reflect on life and time will get you back on track, eventually.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Started off with sound therapy and now on a low AD for sleep and works most nights.

• Like Like x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      1. Be very comfortable - buy a bed that you'll love, buy pillows that you'll love. Maybe hug/hold your wife/husband/teddy bear
      2. Make sure you are tired - have a productive day that includes some physical activities, the more we do the better it is. If you have a productive day, then when it is bedtime your mind/body is tired and there is a great chance of falling asleep.
      3.Possibly use a dream machine or some nature sounds in the background and low volumes.
      4.Meditation - let the mind drift into the beauty of the sea or the majestic mountains
      5.Drink a nice warm glass of milk
      6.Smile and have good thoughts and feel proud of your accomplishments for the day

All of this helps me on a daily basis :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Make myself exhausted by killin it during the day. Seems to work.

• Like Like x 2
    10. NavsPH
      Lurking

NavsPH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meds
      I don't take anything, but i pray before i go to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I second @fishbone on the value of a comfortable bed and pillow and having a productive day. Even without tinnitus, those are important for achieving a good night’s rest.

I use sound enrichment at night, typically crickets.

• Like Like x 2
    12. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      I use over the counter sleeping aids, hot shower, eye mask, breathing exercises, sound machine on ocean, and fan. It works for me.

13. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      I use a sound machine and OTC sleep aid plus Melatonin.

14. Akk

Akk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkonown
      Nothing special needed, just relax.

15. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      Exercise during the day, lots of fresh air.
      Sound enrichment at night...rain fall, waterfalls, wind blowing, any nature sounds on my iphone under my pillow.
      Chamomile tea
      .5 mg Ativan if needed
      1/2 glass of red wine if needed
      I have had Tinnitus for 10 months.....sleep is still my biggest challenge.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Kate

Kate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      guessing it may be from an antiinflammatory drug I took for
      Comfie bed and pillows. I usually go to sleep with Mozart (Mozart for Meditation Cd). My bigger problem usually is waking up a few hours later and not being able to get back to sleep. For that, i have a sound machine, a tablet which i use to play utube audio talks, and my phone nearby if i give up on sleep. I take 3 mg of melatonin almost every night. For "must sleep" nights, i use one of the anti-histamine sleepaids, and if really desperate, i have Remeron from my dr. I only take it maybe once a month .
      And some nights i just stay up until i pass out (from lack of sleep, I dont drink), one of the benefits of being retired. Needless to say, I and all my electronics sleep alone!

17. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Remeron
      Melatonin
      breathing technics

18. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Magnesium, Good night tea with lavender,chamomile, and hops, 2 grams melatonin, and valerian.
      All this helps me to sleep pretty good. Also my T goes down in volume when i'm laying down, thank God for that.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Sleeping is not a problem for me... At least I am lucky for that !

In fact I often don't want to wake up and hear my T again...

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    20. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I am in my 10 th year with very bad tinnitus. I learned how to sleep even with very loud tinnitus. How do i fall asleep? I don't know. Although i hear very loud tinnitus, my brain is so used to hearing that, that it falls asleep when some conditions are met (me in bed, with the intention to fall asleep).
      That does not mean that tinnitus is not a huge problem for the sufferer. It means that the innate power of adaptation of an organism is so big that, if it has no choice, an organism adapts itself to hellish life conditions.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. .bill

.bill Member

Tinnitus Since:
      december2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      from ear infection
      Nothing just go to sleep

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. fecka
      Balanced

fecka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud live music
      tl;dr: pretty much nothing, hopefully it stays this way.

Before I had tinnitus, I used to daydream myself to sleep and thinking about all kinds of things till my mind got tired.

Now I do the same but with some slight difficulty trying to push the noise in the background. I don't want to sleep to music nor any background noise, if something's in my mind, I want to be able control it.

In the end, my goal is to deal with tinnitus easily in complete silence no matter how loud it gets, and I have the confidence that I can do it, I've always been stubborn about mental things.

Also as earlier mentioned the noise can be a "lullaby", focusing on it somehow works as well, but I still prefer my good old mind games :)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. Kathy Warren

Kathy Warren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress anxiety arhtritis in neck mefication
      I have had tinnitus for over 30 years with break of over 15 years total habituation then it came back after period of severe stress and ill health i take benzo during day with dose at nite. But i find now that no matter how loud it is i have to have quiet dark and quiet weird i can listen to it and go to sleep but if it there which it always is when i wake it drives me mad. I am having trt at min.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      A tiny dose of Remeron at night and lots of cat videos during the day.

25. mt5
      Scared

mt5 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD, most likely
      I usually just fall asleep to the TV or nothing at all. My tinnitus isnt that loud.

It it gets bad, I usually take a quarter or half of a valium pill. That knocks me out within 15-30 mins and gives me a solid 6-7 hours.

26. David G
      Movie buff

David G Member

For the past 11 months I've been sleeping with a fan on. But lately, when I'm in a positive mood I find the sound comfortable and sleep fine without any white noise.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    27. 12stepCornelius

12stepCornelius Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      A small bedside fan. May need to get a louder one as it no longer seems to mask the tinnitus since it may have gotten worse the few years I've had it.

Otherwise, I personally use marijuana at night. Now, I don't recommend just anyone use it (its not for everyone), but for me, as someone that has used marijuana even before the tinnitus, I'm used to its effects. Also helps me with the anxiety (which I also had before tinnitus, now worse because of tinnitus) too, and I'm able to fall asleep and stay asleep pretty easily with this routine every night.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Since I am suffering from a moderate/severe hearing loss, WNG or other sound sources does not apply to me. Luckily, I have been able to sleep during my 22 years of T even though I have severe T that fluctuates by the hour.

My emergency routines on bad nights is to do some meditation and relaxation techniques. In worst case, I would go for a small dose of clonazepam.

29. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Sleeping has never been an issue for me.

30. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?

T doesn't bother me too much most of the time when sleeping, if not Melatonine works very well.