Tinnitus Week 2020: Focus on Research — Get Involved!

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Tinnitus Talk, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      From BTA's Twitter:

Our petition NEEDS more signatures to make a real difference. We passed the 2,000 mark earlier but we need more! Help us reach as many people as possible by asking others to sign up too. Help us make a real impact!

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There is someone sharing Amit Shah’s old petition - that we promoted on here years ago - on a large Facebook support group. Unbelievable. The person doing it has even left a comment linking the old petition on a post that is directly promoting the new petition!

The post appears to be from someone linked to the BTA:

D2D03C17-1147-4BFF-9296-0E04F00323FB.jpeg
      96E38546-570C-47AE-BB70-B8E840993743.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Just a few more signatures and we reach the goal.

Please sign the petition and share the link as much as you can.
      Only us can make it happen.

Tinnitus hurts.

Don't stay on the sideline. Get involved!

Get_Involved.png

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown:medication,cannabis,stress,sleep deprivation
      A5565A02-7E58-45FE-91F0-3C0BF39747D2.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 2
    5. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      It takes less than a minute to create a Twitter account. Doesn't need to be created with your real name or main email address.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      Very true, I’ll give it a shot.

• Like Like x 2
    7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      The issue isn't so much about having a Twitter account: as you mention, creating one is pretty easy.

The issue is about having followers: without any followers (the initial state of a new account), your tweet reaches nobody.

The same applies to Facebook.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Nonomat
      Wishful

Nonomat Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019 (mild) - 11/2019 (intrusive)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Frédéric, I might have gotten ahead of myself saying I shared it. I am not part of this group anymore so I sent a PM to one of the moderators notifying them about the petition but apparently it wasn't shared afterwards in the group.

Glad you did it then!

9. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      Signed and donated.
      Please help us all.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Creative Creative x 1
    10. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      OK everyone, not to detract from the petition, but as promised we have a few of our own Tinnitus Week activities around research lined up, and here is the next one:

A unique opportunity to work directly with a tinnitus researcher to help shape his research plans!

Dr. Will Sedley has reached out to us to get YOUR input on his plan for predictive brain processing research. Read all about it here.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      The absolute state of replies like these.

It's hard to work out whether the original poster is either fortunate to have a tinnitus subtype which diminishes naturally under a placebo, is a charlatan hawking hope for profit or is just deliberating and maliciously undermining the cause.

As has been noted, it's on us to really galvanise and promote and push and make enough clamour and noise that our collective cause becomes unavoidable. Only then will we get the change we desperately need.

Signed, shared and promoted.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    12. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      The problem is not about more research being needed. Most causes of tinnitus have been found. There may never be a way to turn off sound permanently for most without fixing the cause.

Number one priority and conference priorities should be to pressure healthcare care givers to find cause for each patient and then treat. With this, conflicts of best interests exist and they intertwine. The fact still remains that caregivers need to spend more investigative time with patients.

Researchers get funding, fees and paychecks for their devoted services, but many have said that it's up to healthcare to use our research and treatments. Many within the tinnitus space or tag on space get reward either thru other contacts, other compensation and compensation with other firms by adding clients to service contracts. There is wheeling and dealing within the tinnitus space with associations to other spaces where reward can be received ---- as in all other systems.

Pressure does needs to be placed on healthcare and they need to be held accountable for responsibility in finding one's cause, but conflict of interest are often too deep and broad.

Tinnitus Talk has many values. Some values are: Condition discussion, personnel experiences - unity and compassion.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think this is a good idea. Many celebrities with large following may not even know that this petition exists.
      Also, if the celebrity is a musician, I'd expect a part of his/her followers to be affected "more than average" by tinnitus.

A starting point: https://restoredhearing.com/2015/07/01/celebrities-with-tinnitus/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_tinnitus

I personally think the chances of celebs paying attention to someone tagging them would increase if the tagging entity "looks serious", like Tinnitus Hub or actually the BTA, rather than a random internet user.

@Markku what do you think?

• Like Like x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What was the response? They had 45K supporters!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is a difference though between knowing the causes and understanding how to fix them. The fixes are only available for certain sub-types. And we don't even know enough yet about what the sub-types are. So I do believe a lot more research is needed. But that's just my two cents.
      The healthcare side is certainly very important. Education of GPs, ENTs, etc. But to me that does not detract from the importance of research per se.

You make a good point about the lack of 'translation' between research and healthcare, though I wouldn't put the onus entirely on the healthcare side here. There's a lot of research going on without much regard for practical implementation. So it should be a two-way street; much room for improvement there.
      Couldn't agree more :)
      Hopefully even more unity and compassion going forward!

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Someone told me on Facebook that there can be 200 reasons of tinnitus - I replied that it would be limited to the ear / brain, whatever ear triggered it. I do believe there is the perception that it’s such an unsolvable condition hence not to bother.

People are pursuing the most bizarre things. Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Winner Winner x 2
    18. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Signed and shared even though I have my opinion on BTA and their “honest” intention to help us :mad:

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    19. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    20. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It is weird that this petition is still active (I can't manage to find the date of its release). Is it worth signing it? Why not?

At this point, is there a technical possibility for change.org to aggregate all these petitions? Because they share the same goal.

21. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Good question. Yes 45,000 supporters is quite a lot. I remember I signed it. But for all I know, I did not receive any notifications from Change.org about the progression of this petition, and I also checked www.france-acouphenes.org, there is no report on this.

22. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      @Nonomat @Regal: I managed to publish the link to the petition in the 2nd, 3rd and 5th largest French tinnitus groups on Facebook.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      No notification either... I got one about free dental treatment for cancer patients which had received over 100,000 signatures.

Tinnitus sufferers are being told there is no cure and they have to accept it. They are all resigned in some of these forums...

How can we get Susanna Reid to share? Twitter won’t let me DM her. Anyone savvy?

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      You can't DM users who don't follow you or have it turned off for privacy reasons. Best chance is tweeting at her and followers of her. I did so.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Did she respond?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      5455CAA0-F3B3-4EDD-AA4C-6C7FBC9CEB32.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
    27. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I signed it too, and got no update either. I think that petition was about tinnitus being officially recognized as a disability by the French health system, rather than specifically targeted at a cure.

I'd be curious to know if they answer you.

28. brokensoul

brokensoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If the BTA wants or allows international support, couldn’t they collaborate with the ATA to help raise some awareness? I mean William Shatner could surely post a tweet about it, right?

Is there any support from British celebs who have tinnitus? Just a tweet could already make a significant difference in raising awareness.

Peter Gallagher? Pete Townshend? ... ?

Really awesome that some people here are doing a great effort to raise awareness about the petition.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I signed it back in the day. The problem with other people sharing this petition whilst the BTA’s is running is that it’s taking signatures away from the more relevant petition. Especially when people are sharing it in the same conversation as the BTA one. Of course, it’s best we sign them all as it takes no time to do, but you know what people are like. Getting someone to simply click on a link is hard enough.

A friend texted me this earlier.

5A868D9F-477E-4368-A739-99FAA94B9CCA.jpeg

This means that it’s had national news exposure and we’ve still only managed 6351 signatures since Monday. I can’t help but feel disappointed. If all of the members of one of the support groups that it’s been shared with, had signed it, we’d have well over 20,000 signatures. Now imagine if the members of all tinnitus support groups had signed it already, we’d have tens of thousands by now, easily. Add in national press and TV news coverage and it’s even more disappointing for me personally.

If signing a petition is too much of a barrier for the tinnitus community, then god help us all. The passion to drive this forward and get results is severely lacking when the community is viewed as a whole. Many have been phenomenal so it’s no direct criticism to anyone here. It is what it is, unfortunately, but it demonstrates how difficult of a task it is to get stuff done in the tinnitus world.

• Agree Agree x 3
    30. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      D1B6B649-F1C2-430A-A07C-BB2DCE0E583A.jpeg

• Like Like x 1