Tinnitus with Good Ear Protection?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Aelk5579, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
      hi

I am new to this forum and 5 days ago I went to a shooting range (indoor) for the 2nd time.
      I was wearing a Howard leight impact pro but the guy next to me was firing a 9mm in quick succession. I couldn't believe how loud it was and felt my head was getting knocked about from the vibration and my ears were hurting even with me pressing down on the ear muffs.

When I left there was no ringing but my ears were saw. I could feel a lot of pressure in both my ears.
      Then yesterday I started hearing T in the middle of the night. I'm. It sure of its in my head because of all the threads I have been reading but it has been bothering me.

Just wondering if anyone experienced onset of T whilst wearing ear protection.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Amber
      Depressed

Amber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Indoor firearm can be as loud as 145 decibels, best ear protection can only reduce it by 20 decibels or so, you are left with 125 decibels which can cause instantaneous and permanent damage.

Don't shoot gun, or be near where guns are shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
      But that means that everyon who shoots guns would have permanent hearing damage. There are millions of people around the world that shoot guns everyday.. if it was such a widespread problem surely people would know about it and avoid it at all costs.

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      how many got T at clubs or concerts and how many were fine ? Same thing here
      I think age and previous accumulated noise damage - unnoticed - Plays a huge role here in terms of outcome

How old are you ? Were you exposed to loud noise before ?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
      I'm 36 and never been exposed to loud sound before..
      Maybe I'm just being paranoid

Does anyone here go to shooting range regularly? I really don't want to quit this hobby but if it's going to cause me hearing damage I will have to quit

6. A13HJ

A13HJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skeet shooting
      I do go on shooting ranges reguarly. (Professional soldier) and as long as I use proper hearing protection everything is fine. You can combine earplugs and over the ear protection while shooting indoors :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
      Thanks... do you go to indoor shooting ranges? What guns do you use? I will try doubling up next time.

8. A13HJ

A13HJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skeet shooting
      All service weapons: 9 mm pistol, 5,56 mm rifle, .50 cal machineguns. 84 mm antitank-rocket.

A year ago I experienced a spike in my tinnitus after using a new set surefire earplugs. I probably used the wrong size. Today I use a Howard Leight impact with great success.

I do visit indoor shooting ranges, but I don't double up, but after hearing your story I will consider it.

You've only had tinnitus for a few days, relax there is a good chance it will improve or even go away. Stay away from the range for some time and give your ears a chance to heal. I wish you all the best :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Aelk5579

Aelk5579 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 days
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting 9mm
      Thanks man.. it's nice to see someone that's positive for a change

Which firearm do you find is the loudest? How loud are the 50cal machine guns as compared with the 9mm pistol?

10. A13HJ

A13HJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Skeet shooting
      I find the .50 cal way louder. But the 9 mm is loud when fired indoors.

Maybe you should consider getting a .22 for indoor target pratice? It's less noisy, fun to shoot and the ammo is way cheaper :)