Tinnitus Worse After Showering? Confused?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taylorslay, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      So lately after any sound fluctuation my tinnitus gets louder and then it dies down.

However, I just showered and I have the worst spike I've ever had. All I did was touch my ear after I showered and it just spiked. I'm just confused on what's going on.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It happens @Taylorslay and what you're experiencing is not uncommon in the early stages of tinnitus and hyperacusis. brought on by noise trauma to the auditory system. It can be distressing but the spike will calm down. Although it isn't easy, try distracting yourself from the noise by focusing on other things. This could be having low level relaxing music playing in the background or have the TV on even if you're unable to pay attention to it. Going out for a walk can also help. Anything to take your mind away noise will help.

Michael

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      This isn't true. I had this until I got my earwax removed for the first time, then it went away.

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Everyone is different. @Taylorslay has "noise induced" tinnitus and apparently you do not going by what is indicated on your profile. Therefore, with respect, you are hardly in a position to say I'm incorrect when you have no experience of noise induced tinnitus.

Michael

5. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yes I do. When I was 8 my dad drove by me with his Motorcycle. It gave me tinnitus for a week. This one is just me but in my case it did not spike whenever I heard a loud noise.

My earwax impacted tinnitus did do that, and even after I had this wax removed it spiked even harder for two days (post removal hyperacusis), but it hard stopped after that. It's a brain reorganization that isn't exclusive to noise induced Tinnitus.

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      As I said everyone is different. You have had tinnitus for around 5 mins I've had it for considerably longer. I am here to help people not to have a duel.

I wish you well and goodbye
      Michael

7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      If I've only had it for 5 minutes then you've only had it for an hour and forty-five minutes. hardly a headstart in experience in order to know more than me :^)

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      All posts are equally important and should be aimed to the authour of the thread so they can take out of them the information thats helpful to them and not to have a pop at members advice as who are we to say whos right or wrong as everyone has their own views.

The forum is not a replacement for medical advice and any concerns should be taken up with your GP or consultant etc
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Showers often spike my T I think because the sound of the shower is similar to that of white noise, and my T gets temporary aggravated by white noise, not sure of reasons why but maybe the masking effect of white noise is too strong and when the noise is gone the brain focuses strongly on the T.

10. Santiago Biagi
      Yeehaw

Santiago Biagi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One exposure on loud club
      Happened to me in the first stages of H. After H backing off quite a bit, showers actually lower my perception of T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very true @Santiago Biagi and well said. In the early stages as you've so rightly said, the shower can affect hyperacusis and make tinnitus spike but after a while it often lowers the perception. Hope you don't mind me reinforcing your description that you put so eloquently.

The same also applies to sound. Whilst many people affected by noise induced tinnitus and have hypercusis or Reactive tinnitus. Being around normal everyday sounds and using sound enrichment, will actually treat and in my opinion cure the condition in many cases. It is the overuse of hearing protection (earplugs) that prolongs sensitivity to sound and if one isn't careful will become permanent.

Michael

12. Santiago Biagi
      Yeehaw

Santiago Biagi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One exposure on loud club
      I don't mind, no better user to be quoted by than you.

I agree, getting back to normal routine and having a background sound has been of extreme importance in my particular case to lower H, i for sure made more progress this way than by staying in my silent room afraid of sound. I always carry earplugs but only wear them on loud buses and subways, once i get off the average city sound is not harmful (I tested the DB levels).

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thank you for your kind comments @Santiago Biagi If I may say so, I believe you are going on the right path. Even though you have had tinnitus a short while, I can tell from your posts that you have the right attitude to tinnitus and if you haven't fully habituated yet it won't be long before you do.

Take care
      Michael