Tinnitus Worsened After Cancer Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LeslieM, Jan 4, 2022.

1. LeslieM

LeslieM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Taking Anafranyl and Zimovan
      Hi,

I've had tinnitus since 1991 and was habituated to it. It stopped me going to cinema and watching TV, but we managed.

After investigation starting in October, I was finally diagnosed with cancer in December this year.

The tinnitus has now got almost unbearable. Sleeping is very difficult and whatever sleeping pill I take, all they do is aggravate the tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hello Leslie,

I see this is your first post here. Welcome!

But, I am very sorry to hear that you're going through a very tough time.

I am also sorry that you are having to deal with cancer.

You've done well to be habituated for so long. Just goes to show what the brain is capable of.

I am having to rehabituate myself also.

It is a shock to experience a change in your tinnitus, and being in a heightened state of fear and panic, with broken sleep, will be compounding it all.

I know cause I'm there myself.

You are not alone.

I've never been keen on the idea of benzos to sleep, but they probably dont hurt in the short term if you need it...

-Make sure you are tired before trying to sleep.

-Many here mask or use sound enrichment. I myself don't. I prefer the quiet so I just go to sleep observing my sound/s.

-If you need something to catch up on some sleep, you could consider lavender, valerian, passionflower... etc.

There are threads on here discussing ways to get rest and relieve anxiety naturally

Let me know how you get on.

Big hugs
      Bless X

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you have cancer. Any normal person when told that he or she has cancer, the news can be traumatic and stress plus anxiety level will be quite high. Sleeping will be an issue. All these can cause tinnitus to spike or appear louder.

Perhaps try some calming supplements such as kava root, lemon balm, catnip, chamomile tea, etc. You can also try Melatonin to help sleep. Try to get counseling to ease your stress. If the anxiety level is too strong, then consider getting sleep medications.

Good luck. God bless.

4. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @LeslieM.

I am so sorry to hear of your cancer diagnosis. I imagine the stress of it all is triggering your tinnitus, and I hope it improves over time. Don’t really know what else to say, just wanted to reply.

Wishing you all the best.

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Some members find using soothing masking sounds such as nature sounds that match the tinnitus can help them sleep better. Try that if you haven't done so. Just download tinnitus masking apps and play it out with a Bluetooth speaker.