Tips That Work for Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by DebInAustralia, Jan 16, 2016.

1. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have experienced tinnitus and hyperacusis for just over 2 years now following an ear infection and treatment with a fluoroquinolone antibiotic.

Like most of you in the beginning, I suffered with the usual flight or fright response. Some days, I was too panic stricken to get out of bed. I really thought my life was over. I couldn't concentrate at work, or feel that i could enjoy my social activities etc...

I wouldn't say I am habituated, but I have come a long way since my onset. My tinnitus probably hasn't changed. But, my emotional response to the noise is changing.........

I read the back to silence thread. It resonated with me. I started practicing the technique, and noticed within days, my anxiety started to abate. (ive always been a worrier and have ocd). After a few short weeks, I then noticed that i was having less responses to the noise, and then moments of 'silence' as Terry describes in his thread. For the first time since experiencing tinnitus, i felt a glimmer of hope. I felt like a weight had lifted off...

Ive kept at the technique. some days are better than others. i try to avoid measuring the quality of my days by my noise; instead, i focus only on my reactions. it works!

sleep is paramount. so i get lots of it......

modified ketogenic diet with intermittent periods of fasting........

stay away from the negative....so ive looked at my life, and decided those things that need to go ie toxic relationships, unhealthy habits/mind set etc..............

i take advantage of residual inhibition.....fortunately for me, when i need to, i can mask with high frequency white noise which temporarily suppresses some of my hissing noise........

whilst im not pushing religion on anyone, i do pray and meditate. this helps me relax and feel less frightened.

exercise.......we all need it.............and when the sun is shining...........why not get out there and enjoy it!

do something you love. find something you are passionate about...an interest, a cause...and pursue it. become absorbed in it. in this way, i have found my silence again.

i hope this helpsx

• Like Like x 12
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. newarrior

newarrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concerts
      thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @DebInAustralia ,

These are all great suggestions, but the most important one is your attitude toward your tinnitus. It does indeed take time to get to the point that you're at right now, but (newbies, take heart!) Deb is living proof that it can be done.

If you can focus outside yourself, and find things that occupy your mind, you'll be on your way toward habituation.
      For me, exercise, meditation, meaningful work, and enjoyable activities have really made a difference.

Deb, thanks for showing that with a positive attitude, you can begin to conquer your tinnitus. It can be done!

Thanks for the positive message!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ty Karen

But i havent conquered my t

I am conquering my reactions to my t

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    5. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      Hi @DebInAustralia ,
      Like you, I have been dealing with tinnitus and hyperacusis since 2013 and I have somehow managed to conquer my reactions to T and H for the most part. I can't say that I have habituated because I still hear and feel the T whenever I am awake. I haven't written any success story yet.
      I totally agree that being immersed in a hobby or something fun is the best method to deal with this. When I play ping pong or foosball for instance, I don't pay attention to the noise. I am just so intensely focused! I think the endorphin increase is also helpful.

• Like Like x 1