TMJ Pain/Fear of Pulsatile Tinnitus/Please Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by Robert44, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Robert44

Robert44 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud concert
      Hi,
      Some of you might know me on here. I already have T from a loud concert back in April. I also have TMJ my whole life. I do not have pulsatile T. I am very fearful that I might get it. I wake up with headaches from it. My upper jaw right below my ear hurts. It causes pain in the night and then it gives me a headache. When I open my mouth wide it makes a loud clicking sound.

My Questions are..... What should I do so I can avoid getting PT? My ENT told me to get one of those mouth guards (over the counter)that you wear at night, should I? Would this help? Should I go to a dentist who specializes in TMJ and have him make me a custom one? I don't want to do anything that causes me to get PT.

If you know anything about this please respond to this thread. I would appreciate it!!! The last thing I need to to get Pulsatile Tinnitus also. Thank You.......

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Robert ,
      Its best to have one made by your dentist to mould your own teeth.
      I wear one too.
      Use a hot water bottle to ease the pain at night.
      A soft food diet can help and cut apples in half etc so dont over stretch your mouth if you can help it .
      Dont worry about Pulsitile tinnitus its something that might never happen....take care,lots of love glynis

3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Robert,

I agree with Glynis. Your dentist should be able to fit you for a mouth guard; I know that my dentist can do that. It is made specifically to fit your mouth and teeth.

As for pulsatile tinnitus, I don't think you need to worry about that. Pulsatile tinnitus is usually vascular in nature, and unless you have some sort of blood pressure or other vascular issue, it's doubtful that you'll ever get it.

Please do let us know how the mouth guard works for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

4. Mike Lee

Mike Lee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      There are TMJ physical therapy and massage Youtube videos. Do them try them all until one works for you. Keep doing them after symptoms go away. meditation tapes, apps relaxation. Take it as a personal challenge and grow from healing yourself

5. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I've had a splint made from dentist and it seemed to make my neck and jaw hurt more so just beware..it might help you though.

6. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Same here , I've had an expensive splint made , now my head , and cheeckbones hurt a lot every time I smile