To Those Who Avoid Clubs, Concerts...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jodi, Dec 2, 2013.

1. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Custom molded earplugs are faster to plug because they fit your ear. There are models with filter, no filter, music earphones, electronic filtering, some even have some of those as interchangeable pieces. I don't think they are better than foam plugs, but I'm not an expert. I used foam plugs myself in a flight two days ago, and I could tell by my perception of the engine noise that they did a good job. Molded plugs draw less questions from people because they look like music earplugs, or some hearing aid.

I couldn't find much info on the limits of noise attenuation.
      bergerfigure1.jpg
      It's available online at http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/extra-protection-wearing-earmuffs-and-1218 It's a short read:

2. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      @frohike,

I've been to one of them stores that sell expensive custom made plugs with filter functionality but when I showed her my foam plugs she replied to my big surprise that they were sufficient enough. I think she tried to say that the customized ones were meant for musicians that needed to stay in tune with the music, so therefor they couldn't exclude too much sound. What I don't understand is how someone wears those in loud environments in the believe they will provide ample enough protection, cause it obviously is compromising as they don't protect as good as cheap foam plugs. Many years ago I went to a Depeche Mode gig in my city and I brought foam plugs, I didn't find it hard to experience the music or anything. I was amazed how much air pressure there was in that concert hall, made me feel nausea. I could actually feel the air pressure from the speakers hitting me although I was sitting upstairs at the back! I had like thousands of people way in front of me. I can't understand how they could avoid hearing damage, but I guess some people are indestructible cause I have T and they probably not. I know people that go to concerts like that every month and they have no signs of hearing loss at all, beats me. I've been to perhaps one concert every 7 years or so, but then again I don't know the cause of my T&H.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jodi
      Confused

Jodi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sleep_Plugs.jpg

These are not my actual ones, but the material/construction is identical. They cancel out A LOT of sound, so mutch so it´s really hard to have a conversation inside a club. I have no way to measure this accurately, but I´d say it´s at least about -35 dB in the high end.

4. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I found that the foam plugs are best because they are cheap, easily purchased anywhere, seal out most if not all of the dangerous volume, and come in cute colors!!

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My tinnitus developed years ago. Instead of protecting my ears, I chose to go to LOUD concerts, play loud music, and very slowly my condition worsened. I began to go to concerts/bars with cotton, then plugs, now I don't go at all. I don't want my tinnitus to go to lower, louder frequencies. I don't think I could handle it.

6. FireT

FireT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      I believe its innacurate that earplugs dont protect against bass, certainly the skin and bone provide protection. However when it gets above 105DB, certainly that might be the case.

Search low profile earmuffs on ebay, they do 31DB, that plus earplugs will give maybe 32DB, and just one DB under the max, 33DB. Over that it goes throw the bone. And only the low profile ones goes under my wig..
      I dont trust foam earplugs, and never use them. I only use wax or silicone since the STICK to the ear like glue. Foam earplugs fall out, which is not reflected at the NRR test at laberatory. I think the foam ones are a big scam if you ask me. And to bad there arent any custom molded that stick to the ear.

I use "worlds finest earplugs" however, the company refuses to answer what the NRR of these earplugs are. Ive sent three emails now, how can this be a serious company? Some resellers claim its 34DB which sound plain ridiculous. I hope its over 27, which is better than the quies wax I used earlier, but they get hard when its cold so i dont like em.

Thanks for the study linked which show now protection over 105DB. I guess I will just leave when it goes to over 106, 107 db, even when I have earmuffs on. Really sad that is, since i love parties. Will celebrate new years eve, music, fireworks. But will always have my earplugs on me, and my earmuffs very close. I have two sound level meters I pull up as fast as a cowboy in the old west

7. FireT

FireT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Might I add that NRR rating is the avarage, so the 37NRR earmuffs provide better protection than the 31DB plus earplugs,. Just to bad it looks so stupid to wear big industrial ones. I mean people ask stupid questions like "do you hear anything under them" I cant even grasp, how is it possible to ask such a stupid question. These are people that have never used hearing protection in their lives

And yes, its a big mystery why some people never get tinnitus. Like those ignorant sound techincians.

WHAT WE NEED ARE LAWS SO WE CAN FILE A COMPLAINT TO THE POLICE WHEN THEY PLAY TO HIGH. I will personally check the laws of the country I travel to, and file reports to the police or labor union. I think the enlightened country of Switzerland has 85DB limit, not sure tho. I love high music when I have earmuffs and earplugs on, but its just to unethical knowing that other people dont use ear protecfton gets tinnitus.

8. FireT

FireT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Got the following answer from the company that manufactors "the worlds finest earplugs":

Dear:

Our ultra-high blocking ear plug is the HIGHEST BLOCKING moldable ear plug in existence. Our original NRR test results were NRR 34, but at this time we are not exploiting this feature on our website because of the following:

NIOSH, the (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health), is presently devising a new NRR (noise reduction rating) test with newer standards for all manufacturers of hearing protection devices.

To honor NIOSH and the FDA, we are not publishing our original NRR 34 test results, for we are in the process of re-testing our ear plug under the new testing requirements with the newer standards.

Secondly, several ear plug manufacturers have (their own) testing lab, for which they have been freely publishing higher NRR numbers on their packaging. It has created controversy because of so little sound being blocked out using their ear plugs. This practice has made NRR claims on packaging questionable.

, PLEASE NOTE: For an ear plug to block out much sound or seal out water completely, it must seal the ear canal completely. Our soft & moldable ear plug is the only ear plug in existence that seals the ear canal 100%.

After inserting our complete sealing, ultra-high blocking ear plug and (observing the silence), it will be obvious to you, as it is to all, that you are wearing a most highly efficient SUPERIOR product!

, thank you for this important question. We are very sorry for not replying back sooner; but with over 150 e-mails each day, it is possible to miss one.

Kindest regards

‘Mary’—BPI weekend customer service

P.S., be sure to follow the card instructions for preparing and inserting correctly, and you will be very very pleased with the results.

(800-226-1884) Phone Order Line

https://www.earplugsonline.com/

To bad I didnt use those earlier, but Im now convinced these ones are the best out there, pluss some earmuffs offcourse

9. FireT

FireT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Yeah. just got my 37nrr earmuffs in the mail. And to my big surprise they just barely fit under the wig, had to drag the wig over with force. Big nightmare is if someone tries to take my wig off my head so my earmuffs will be exposed, all you bold people with wigs on, i symphatize!! Thats why Ill buy a second wig, just the same, so if someone wants to try it on Ill just pull it out of my magic bag.

Anyway.. Hurray! And without the wig the earmuffs looks so incredibly crazy and stupid I could never wear them in public unless on a construction site. The low profile one are for that.
      So on parties where I feel the wig will be to much, I put the low profile on when sound gets above 100DB. On new years eve and parties with those crazy christian mystics, or very late night worship parties where the serious dudes have left, wig on again. This is great cause earmuffs are a party spoiler, the wig is quite the oppposite, it creates fun. I look forward to new years eve now. I say FIRE UP THE RACKETS! Iill be on first row with my mega wig cheering

10. FireT

FireT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Firework I meassured up to 115DB. There is no hearing protection in the world that goes this high, even with earplugs and earmuffs. Ill hide under the couch next time at 00:00 together with the dog.
      The party was great tho, met two second cousins I didnt know I had. The world is indeed small! lol

11. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      How did it go FireT? And grats on the new family members :p
      I just had earplugs molded an hour ago. Told the lady about pressure in my ears and them popping etc, then she brutally just pulled them out after playing around with a pencil shaped thing in my ear lol.
      As the positioning of your jaw affects the muscle in the ears, I had to sit still in the process, does that mean their protection decreases if I don't keep my jaws in that one position? She had an untrustable dialect and I have faith in you guys :p

12. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Their protection shouldn't be affected by the position of your jaw, at least that's been my experience. You'll be able to recognize pretty quickly whether or not they're seated in the ear properly - once you've fit them in right, you should be good to go without much worry!

13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ive been told for best protection, to go for the musician type..

Where do I go to get those??

14. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      and Yonkapin,

I see Ross dineen again next week...

maybe I should ask him about the ear plugs???

15. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Good to know :) So in case I chose to go to the dentist,do you think correcting my bite slightly would matter for the plugs? The one filling up my ears today said they can guarantee that there is no guarantees since the ear might grow, they're customized and whatnot -.-
      Deb those are musicians ones with 25db filter I got molded today. I looked up a local "hearing center", those who makes hearing devices of all kinds, like the elacin (by Siemens) ones mentioned

16. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Yeah definitely! I think they're the only guys that do proper Elacin/Etymotic (probably the best brand atm) fittings in Melbourne - they are handy and sound good. If you got the cash to splash then get all 3 attentuation filters, they come with -9, -15 and -25db filters which are all useful in different situations. Discuss it with Ross first and see what he thinks depending on where you're going to use them and how often.

I'm not sure, I do know that sometimes over the course of a couple years that the ear plugs might warp or not fit properly and then you *might* need to get them done again. The only sort of possible reference I have for the bite thing is that I had all my wisdom teeth removed after getting my ear plugs done and it didn't seem to effect the fit at all.

17. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Well after all the precautions I took during his holidays and not going out and protecting my hearing, someone just threw a firecracker right near where I was sitting having a cup of coffee. So now my T is through the roof again and I just want to kill myself.

Fuck everything and especially this country that I'm in, Slovenia. I hate it and everyone in here. I don't know what to do. I'm screwed I don't want to do anything anymore.

• Hug Hug x 3
    18. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Was it the vasalva that gave you TTTS and the rumbling and all that stuff?

Maybe that's why I've gotten it too, I was obsessed with vasalva maneuver for a while, as I thought my T was due to fluid trapped in the middle ear.

19. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did the valsalva maneuver a year ago, didnt go to well though...my then mild tinnitus in my left ear spiked to an ultra severe scream..luckily it went back to baseline...but it took a good 4 hours!..let's just say I won't be doing that again!

20. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      LeQuack, there's a good chance it's just a spike. Hang in there!

If the firecracker was really really close, get to an ENT, they might be able to help with steroids. Magnesium, zinc, high doses of vitamins A, C, E, maybe N-acetyl cysteine might also help.

21. yonkapin

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Nah, I had TTTS and the rumbling stuff before the valsalva mishap. It might have gotten worse after it but it always fluctuated heaps so I'm not too sure! I actually started to develop the TTTS in my left ear about 6 months before my actual tinnitus started, probably should have recognized it as a warning sign but it really didn't bother me at the time.

22. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      It's even worse today, I just want to go to sleep for a long time.

• Hug Hug x 2
    23. Smoogle
      Wishful

Smoogle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Give it time. Some of my worst noise induced spikes have lasted around 2 weeks.

I know it sucks, and I'm so sorry. You have my deepest sympathy. :(

I spent almost all of New Year's Day in bed myself because my T spiked. I haven't been much of a fun person to be around to my family or friends.

Hang in there. Get meds if you need them for anxiety or sleep. We all care about you.

• Like Like x 1
    24. LeQuack
      Gloomy

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Thank you for those words, they mean a lot.

25. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      That is absolutely fantastic. I play drums in a band and have to wear the muffs on top of foam plugs. We max out at 95 db, but I just like to be extra careful.

Mind if I steal this idea?