Tooth Extraction on Friday!

Discussion in 'Support' started by mick1987, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, I had a painless lump on the upper gum, went to the dentist today, had x-rays, I found out it was an infection of the tooth root! She said root canal is tricky and might not work, so I have booked in for a tooth extraction on Friday! But its the top premolar, third tooth from centre so I will have a gappy smile....great! Oh I also need 3 fillings as well, but I refused.....to much drilling!

I'm habituated to my tinnitus but still worry about it increasing, has anyone had tooth extractions since having tinnitus? Did it affect your tinnitus?

Thanks.

2. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Mick - I had 6 filling done in one day .nothing happened .
      Mick is your volume still as high as before or it has gone down ?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi sean, wow 6 fillings in one go! Did you wear earplugs/ear muffs during the procedure?

I think my tinnitus has gone down slighty since October (but it may seem like it has because I've habituated to it) but its definitely louder than before, before my tinnitus was a soft hissing type noise, now its like a furnace, gas oven type noise, a harsher noise, I don't recognise my tinnitus much anymore, it can have all sorts of sounds from both ears, but it doesn't bother me much anymore.

4. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Mick - I didn't wear ear plugs ..I should have since normally I wear it even while driving .
      I think you will be alright . It's a Bit** to worry about all these crap !

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's payback for not going to the dentist for 10 years! Your supposed to go every 6 months!

I'm just going to wear my custom earplugs during the drilling.

6. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Lol true ..I go every 7-8 months but was avoiding fillings ..never again .

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Mick,

Good luck with your dental procedures this Friday! I think everything will be fine, and you should not have any increase in your tinnitus.

About six months ago, I had some teeth extracted and implants put in. Then, a few months later, I went back to my dentist for crowns. During the extraction and implant procedure, I had "twilight sleep", which is a light type of anesthesia. Afterward, I had no increase in my tinnitus. I've had other minor dental procedures since then, and nothing increased my tinnitus.

I wish you well this Friday, and I'm sure you won't experience any sort of permanent spike in your tinnitus.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Karen, going for the dreadful root canal for the second time on the same tooth I had done a decade before! I am going to be wearing both custom made earplugs and ear muffs, like I'm on a shooting range..Lol! :)

I suppose once you have these dental procedures done with (touch wood) no affect on tinnitus it will give me confidence to start going every 6 months or so you checkups.

Thanks again,
      Mick.

9. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      You should be proud of yourself - you chose the scary way and not the easy one with getting the root canal done! I think you will be fine and feel better afterwards plus you make an effort to save your natural tooth!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks seal, I know if I'd had it pulled out I would have regretted it, letting tinnitus get in the way of proper healthcare is foolish! Keep that up I'll be toothless!

Oh and plus the gappy tooth smile isn't a good look! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hi Mick1987: how did it go ?did T spike ?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Sean, the Friday appointment was rearranged to the 16th may! Got to wait a month, of course with delays I'm uncertain if I should have the root canal done, having louder tinnitus as a trade off for nice teeth doesn't seem worth the risk, but I will probably go through with it anyway. :)

13. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      This is good to hear, I'm glad you guys all had no T troubles, because I'm going to get my teeth cleaned here, and probably have more work done to follow. Like you can't say, you can't not have your health attended to. So in go the earplugs!

14. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Mick: dentist drills are not too loud .Specially if you wear ear plugs ..you will be just fine .

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks Sean, I was more concerned about the bone conduction, especially since the vibrations from the drilling go straight to the inner ear, but like many have suggested, getting the dentist to take pauses in drilling every 5 seconds or so should be the safest bet.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi guys, just a little update :)

I've just come back from the dentists, I was expecting root canal for an abscess, but because the tooth already had the procedure 12 years ago my dentist said it's very complex and only a small chance of working and advised an extraction instead, so I had the upper premolar extracted!

In the future I'm going to get an implant, but there a couple thousand pounds so they are quite expensive.

Tinnitus wise everything is the same (touch wood), so no problems there.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Is getting a cleaning okay?

18. amandine

amandine Member

Tinnitus Since:
      july 2014
      And no one replied. Any ideas on getting teeth cleaned? Safe or not for T??
      Anyone had it done? with T?

19. J-rod
      Frantic

J-rod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2002
      Just had my teeth cleaned two days ago. Mouth feels great and my T remains the same.

20. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Teeth cleaning is not an issue, just make sure to have it done manually rather then with an ultrasonic cleaner because those are said not to be save for tinnitus sufferers

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Seal, funny this topic should pop up again because I was about to ask about teeth cleaning. I delayed the dental work in April, let's just say I chickened out! :nailbiting:

I've recently had a lot of toothache and went back to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, I'm due to have 3 fillings done and a clean with the dental hygienist all on the same day next month, I asked if the teeth cleaning could be done manually instead of with the ultrasonic cleaner, they said they no longer do manual teeth cleaning?.....if that's the case should I avoid the ultrasonic cleaning altogether?

22. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      No you should not avoid it but instead do it with breaks in between. Just talk to the dental hygienist about it.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Jake123

Jake123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

Ultrasonic teeth cleaning should be avoided. I was today at dental hygienist and tinnitus spiked when ultrasonic cleaner was used. When my upper teeth was cleaned, everything was ok and the sound was mild (high frequency sound of the ultrasonic cleaner, I heard by my bones, since the device was in my mouth). But when my lower teeth was cleaned with ultrasonic cleaner, tinnitus spiked very loud. It hurt a lot in my ears. I believe the reason was I have a metal brace attached my lower teeth (retentiokaari) and when the ultrasonic cleaner was cleaning on the brace, the sound was different ie much louder. Maybe some resonance thing or something like that...

I will ask the dental hygienist next time (I have another appointment next week) to add my personal information not to use ultrasonic cleaning for my teeth. I told them I have sensitive ears and tinnitus before we started, but it was obviously a surprise (for me) that it was much worse with lower teeth than with upper teeth. I had ear plugs, but naturally that won't work, because the sound will travel through bone. The dental hygienist used ultrasonic at low level, because we discussed before starting my tinnitus and my sensitivity to noises. However, she was reluctant to stop when treating my lower teeth (hands at work), because we was already behind schedule and I think it is sometimes hard to stop when you are "on the go". Of course she stopped when I asked second time and I think she noticed I was suffering (maybe didn't understand the severity of the noise for me at first). The rest of the cleaning was done manually.

It is not as worse at the moment now in the evening (however still sore and spiking, but a little better though), and I hope this will go away at the normal level tomorrow or in the near future.

I just want to let you know that ultrasonic cleaning noise may be dangerous especially with braces (and with tinnitus of hyperacusis).

BR, Jake

24. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My tinnitus started in 1974. Since then I've had many fillings, 2 extractions and 1 root canal, all upper. I never noticed a T increase. Any increase was always due to loud music.