Transcranial Stimulation Treatments (rTMS & tDCS & tACS)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Apr 18, 2012.

1. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, benzo/mirtazapine withdrawal, or combo!
      To hyperactivate it?

2. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They havent explained it to me yet this second approach with details. I will ask more info tomorrow.
      Hope so bad it can work. I will try to give you all the info. (y)

Sorry for my bad english

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. grate_biff
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not a problem!

Very appreciative, if you can find out what you can. Thanks!
      I really hope it works for you:)

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Things are worsening everyday more. No results so far, just higher tinnitus. Doctors say it is normal, because 4 sessions are not enough. Anyway, can't stand this anymore.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. jimH
      No Mood

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Very sorry to learn that things are getting worse for you and that it's become so unpleasant. I do hope that the doctors are right. Did they give you any idea as to about how many sessions it usually takes to begin to see some improvement?

6. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They told me about 20 sessions. But it seems that they undervalue the sufference that tinnitus can cause.

7. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Frensis are you going to continue or quit with this treatment?

8. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I am going to continue and finish the treatment. But if it will be useless or even worse the tinnitus, I will give up. I cannot live like this, its a nightmare with no ending.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Have they ever done this before with patients where they noticed it went higher first and then it finally at the end went lower?

10. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I didnt ask them because my tinnitus is better today. Anyway, not a real improvement so far. I did 6 sessions...

11. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Frensis I am glad it is better today. I hope you will end up seeing some improvement at the end.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Artur
      Wishful

Artur Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2017 or 30/06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Are you still doing the sessions @Frensis ?

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1935861X10001671
      Transcranial magnetic stimulation for the treatment of tinnitus: 4-year follow-up in treatment responders—a retrospective analysis

"Conclusions

These data underscore the clinical relevance of rTMS in the treatment of tinnitus. A potential explanation for the observed long-lasting clinical effects is that rTMS interferes with tinnitus related neuronal activity and thus facilitates the intrinsic ability of the brain to restore normal function."

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. cicou
      Wishful

cicou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not clear but hearing loss is probably one of the causes
      Seems to be an old publication?

15. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Effect of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation in Patients With Tinnitus: A Meta-Analysis and Systematic Review
      .entryAuthor" data-author-container-selector=".NLM_contrib-group">Show all authors
      Tang-Chuan Wang, MDRichard S. Tyler, PhD, Ta-Yuan Chang, MS, PhD, ...
      First Published December 1, 2017 Research Article

Objectives:

Subjective tinnitus is a phantom sensation experienced without any external source of sound that profoundly impacts the quality of life. Some investigations have claimed that transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) reduces tinnitus, but studies on tDCS have demonstrated variable results. This meta-analysis aimed to examine the effect of tDCS on patients with tinnitus.

Methods:
      We searched for articles published through January 5, 2016, in Medline, Cochrane, EMBASE, and Google Scholar using the following keywords: tinnitus, transcranial direct current stimulation, and tDCS. The study outcomes were change in magnitude estimates of loudness (loudness), tinnitus-related distress (distress), and Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI).

Results:
      Pooled results demonstrated that tDCS did not have a beneficial effect on loudness (pooled standardized difference in means = 0.674, 95% CI, –0.089 to 1.437, P = .083). Further, the pooled results demonstrated a greater reduction in distress for the tDCS group (pooled standardized difference in means = 0.634, 95% CI, 0.021-1.247, P = .043).

Conclusions:
      We conclude that the pooled results demonstrated a greater reduction in distress for groups treated with tDCS as compared with those administered a sham treatment.

tinnitus, transcranial direct current stimulation, tDCS, meta-analysis, systematic review

Source: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0003489417744317

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. efferent
      Confused

efferent Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild Sensorineural Hearing Loss (25-35 db in 4k-8k)
      Hi everyone, I have been doing TMS sessions for the past week. Have done 5 so far. Can not definitively say yet but it seems to be helping. T goes up and down quite a bit during the day - which wasn’t the case before. Before these sessions, whatever level T was at, whether a 6/10 or 9/10 with 10 being worst, it would stay at that level. These days, it goes from a 4 to 8 back down to 5 within hours. I cannot be sure whether TMS is helping or not - as it is all subjective at the end of the day.

Currently I am scheduled to do 5 more for a total of 10. I will you all keep you posted if it helped or didnt do anything after all the sessions.

Doc had suggested that if it helps, I should probably consider doing 15 sessions but we will see as its very expensive.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      We appreciate your updates !! We wish you luck! Keep us informed!
      In Belgium theire starting a new neuromodulatian centre. They will do rTMS for Tinnitus.
      www.facebook.com/brai3n/

18. efferent
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Tigo - Hey, thanks for your note. One request for you - if you are based in Belgium, would you be able to call this clinic and find out what protocol are they using?

For me - TMS is targeting auditory cortex with 2000 pulses per session at a frequency of 1Hz and 110% motor threhshold. This has been followed in a few studies with some success. The lower frequency of 1Hz is supposed to be slowing down activity in the auditory cortex. Higher frequencies of +10Hz are used for stimulation e.g. in patients with depression.

Not sure if Brai3n clinic has a different protocol that they may be willing to share with a prospective patient?

Thanks!

19. Tigo

Tigo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      genetic hearing loss
      @efferent I asked them but they wont give any details about there protocols. Company protocol to not give details to people that are not currently being treated.
      May i ask how it goes ? How many session thid you have?

20. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      It is company Brai2n (brain tune), and the company has abandoned tinnitus treatment completely. I have been there and tried 2 different treatments, one was TMS but it has no effect. A guy in Germany tried it and his tinnitus went from 1 sound to 4, those change frequencies and became a lot of stronger. Then again ONE HAS TO KNOW THERE ARE AT LEAST 10! DIFFERENT TYPES OF TINNITUS.

POYA5MdlS0uwNO04Od7mdQ.png

21. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      To add that Sweden does have also the same machine in Eksjö, but at psychiatry and they use it ONLY for major acute depression to force neurons to go hyperactive. I were there once and they wrote me a letter they would try to help me but they don't have "protocol" (frequencies how to set up the machine and where to activate/deactivate neuron firings).

ONE HAS TO DO Loreta qEEG brain scan to see what place/part of brain is overactive so it can be treated.

I will attach pic of my Loreta qEEG (it is brain scan with 64 sensor readers not ordinary EEG with 16 that detect stroke)

These are from private doc but you get acc to it.

3bvLuRnWQgS56umBJKG_hQ.png

Anyone can ask questions I will reply, point is, Israel, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden (and friend from Germany) did not have great results. Point is that one knows that there are minimum 10! types of tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have done TMS (before called rTMS, but as just single impulse in TMS is useless so repeated TMS are the only option, so they went back from rTMS naming to TMS).

Anyway what I DO is this, I take 200/max 300 mg Trobalt in morning (if tinnitus is severe, otherwise even 100 mg can do), then I listen to specific sounds (sound mix that I made that are of frequencies of my tinnitus (3 tones, not pure), do it for 30 minutes, and tinnitus from level 10/10 drops to 3-5/10 and remains during day on that level but steadily rises up to the evening.

When does this system not function? Well if I had something that has a large amount of glutamate. E621, taste enhancers, yeast extract, soy extract, or too much of natural sources like walnuts/extra parmesan cheese, the entire brain is stressed even with ordinary people they get headaches (China restaurant syndrome)...

So, you all know that glutamate (neurotransmitter) does brainstorm and increases tinnitus for up to 48h!
      Same happens with hard brain usage, can be even playing chess!

• Informative Informative x 2
    23. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I spoke to the local clinic offering TMS and it's a tough decision. I would have to fund treatment out of pocket and the course of treatment could be 5 to 6K, they do offer a cash discount but that would be determined at time of treatment. Obviously if there was a guarantee success rate I would sell blood to get it done but the results are not that great at the moment. Because my tinnitus spikes and settles after time, how could I possibly know that the TMS worked or the spike just settled back down. Tough decisions. Hoping in time TMS protocol will become better defined and results more successful.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      rTMS helps some people, and it hurts others...
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/members/snow86.9064/
      (to see the text above, click on the "information" tab)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. efferent
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just wanted to circle back to let you all know TMS unfortunately has had no effect. I did a total of 12 sessions and it has been couple of weeks since I finished. The struggle to survive continues.....

• Hug Hug x 2
    26. grate_biff
      Alone

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry to hear that @efferent. Thanks for letting us know. I think I remember you experienced tinnitus becoming worse at first. Hope that didn't stick?

27. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree rTMS has ruined a guy from Germany who is here on TT forum, he got several fleeting tones, and buzzing sounds after treatment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Another article found today:

Effect of transcranial direct current stimulation on short-term and long-term treatment of chronic tinnitus
      Abstract
      Objective
      This study was conducted to investigate the effectiveness of anodal and cathodal methods in reducing the intensity of tinnitus and to compare them with the control.

Methodology
      This randomized double-blind clinical trial with case and control groups was conducted in Al-Zahra Hospital in Isfahan between 2015 and 2016. In this trial, 51 patients with tinnitus, for at least one year, were selected among those outpatients visiting the throat, nose and ear clinic within this period. Inclusion criteria were patients on electrical stimulation prohibition, with Ménière's disease, otosclerosis, chronic headache, and pulsatile tinnitus. Patients were randomly divided in three equal-sized groups: anodal stimulation group, cathodal stimulation group, and control group. The subjects received 20-min current stimulation (2 mA). Five subjects were selected from those with a significant difference between the stimulated states (anodal or cathodal) and/or control. They received weekly transcranial electrical stimulation for two months, and their long-term recovery from tinnitus was investigated. Data analysis was done with SPSS20.

Results
      Findings showed no significant between-groups difference in mean scores of tinnitus before the intervention (p = .68); whereas, this difference was significant immediately after the intervention (p = .02) and 1 h after it (p = .03). The mean score of tinnitus in the anodal stimulation group was significantly lower than the control; whereas, no significant difference was observed between the anodal and cathodal stimulation groups, and between the cathodal and control groups (p < .05). Findings also showed that the mean scores of tinnitus in two cathodal stimulation groups (p = .24) and control group (p = .62) were not significantly different at three different points of time; whereas, this score was significantly different in the anodal group at these time points (p = .01).

Conclusion
      In conclusion, anodal stimulation was more effective than the cathodal and control stimulation in reducing the intensity of tinnitus in the short term.

Keywords:
      Tinnitus, Cathodal stimulation, Anodal stimulation, Transcranial direct current stimulation

Source: http://www.amjoto.com/article/S0196-0709(17)30500-8/abstract

29. ReyKalinic

ReyKalinic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Triggered by TN 2004/05
      facts of 10 years ago

30. Codaz

Codaz Member

Here is a new paper

Conclusion
      "While some improvement was noted, this was not statistically significant.
      Both electrode placements stimulated the right side of the hippocampus, which could
      be responsible for the effect found in both groups. Further research should rule out the
      placebo effect and investigate alternative electrode positions."

Attached Files: