Transcranial Stimulation Treatments (rTMS & tDCS & tACS)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most probably TMJD and neck issues that came with it.
      Let me know if it helps.

2. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      This is one of mine that somebody ripped and put on their own channel :). It's strange because it's poorly recorded and doesn't quite grab all of the sound - they have way more views than me because I try not to mislead in descriptions and say that something works...

It is an early attempt at ACRN, which isn't actually to the same settings as the treatment. But it seems to work.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh...then...I felt a bit guilty I dont know why :oops:

Is it possible for me to reach the original one?

Thanks for telling me, now I won't be spreading a thief's work lol.

Does it provide any long term effects?

It somehow stops mine completely most of the time or diminishes it to a large extent.

THANK YOU FOR CREATING THIS. OR A BETTER VERSION OF THIS <3

4. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      :D It's okay, I don't mind.

I figured it was pointless getting it taken down if people were finding it and it helped them, so I just let it stay.

I will take a look at my music files and see if I still have the original. I am sure that I can find the formula used, I know I spent a while creating a sampler with the tones so I hope I kept it.

It turned out that the theory was wrong so I stopped looking at it but if it helps you then it's worth resurrecting. I'll PM you.

• Like Like x 1
    5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Will this recording only work for people with 8000 hz tinnitus? just tried it and it doesn't really do anything to my 15.000-16.000 hz tinnitus, although i do find it somewhat pleasant to listen to, lol:D

Do you know of any good relief recording for a very high pitched tinnitus like mine?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Bloody hell thats great! I would be made up to find something like this to work for me. So do you get this 0.5/10 relief like for a day/minutes/hours after you stopped playing it?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I will try it the next time it spikes.

8. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Actually I couldn't have the chance to test it for longer periods since I barely leave my house nowadays (summers can get really hot in İstanbul). I just leave it playing all the time.

But I can say that I can go at least 3 hours with a 0.5 level.

I am a bit afraid to try it for longer time periods..........

9. Melike
      Studious

Melike Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17 / 03 /2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It immediately ( I would say 1-2 minutes) lowers down my tinnitus and it stays the same while playing it. I get residual inhibition %70 of the time when I stop it, other times I only hear a weak strange intermittent buzz like the sound of a fly that is trying to die on the ground.

I play it all the time if I'm at home LOL. It doesn't mask my tinnitus since it lowers the volume to a level that can be masked by nearly everything.

Also I must say that I play it at a very low volume.

• Like Like x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    10. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      My main tone is also in that frequency. I've found that nature soundscapes with high pitch frequencies (like crickets chirping, junebug sounds) help me a lot.

11. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have tried cricket sounds and they do mask my tinnitus well, but they dont lower my tinnitus after i have stopped listening, and often i think they are annoying listening to.

12. Rune B

Rune B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Propecia medication
      Bloody hell....I can't hear my tinnitus at all when playing this.....thnx Steve. Do you have a mp3 of it I can put on my iphone?

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Another trial about tDCS:

Dataset of acute repeated sessions of bifrontal transcranial direct current stimulation for treatment of intractable tinnitus: A randomized controlled trial

Abstract
      Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) has reportedly shown promising therapeutic effects for tinnitus (Forogh et al., 2016; Joos et al., 2014) [1,2]. Studies are ongoing to determine optimum treatment protocol and the site of stimulation. Findings of the early studies are heterogeneous and most studies have focused on single session tDCS and short follow-up periods. There is no study on repeated sessions of tDCS with long term follow-up. This study presents the results of a randomized clinical trial investigating the therapeutic effects of acute multi-session tDCS over dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC) on tinnitus symptoms and comorbid depression and anxiety in patients with chronic intractable tinnitus. The dataset includes the demographic information, audiometric assessments, tinnitus specific characteristics, and the response variables of the study. The response variables included the scores of tinnitus handicap inventory (THI), tinnitus loudness and tinnitus related distress based on 0–10 numerical visual analogue scale (VAS) scores, beck depression inventory (BDI-II) and beck anxiety inventory (BAI) scores. The dataset included the scores of THI pre and immediately post intervention, and at one month follow-up; the tinnitus loudness and distress scores prior to intervention, and immediately, one hour, one week, and at one month after the last stimulation session. In addition, the BDI-II, and BAI scores pre and post intervention are included. The data of the real (n=25) and sham tDCS (n=17) groups are reported. The main manuscript of this dataset is "Acute repeated sessions of bifrontal transcranial direct current stimulation for treatment of intractable tinnitus: a randomized controlled trial" (Bayat et al., submitted for publication) [3].

Keywords
      Transcranial direct current stimulation - Acute stimulations - Tinnitus - Depression - Anxiety - DLPFC

Full text: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352340917304377

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @Frédéric is this a new trial? Where is it being held?

15. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
    16. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
    17. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      As well as Reddit, try looking at Selfhacked as well. You can buy these devices fairly cheaply online, but you've got to be familiar with the protocols. Don't know how successful they are though.

18. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      My only issue with buying it on the cheap are the internal components that make up the device. I rather build it myself using high quality electronic parts. Like that I know I can measure the output myself with a good calibrated multimeter and o-scope.

19. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hi everyone,

I got tinnitus in 2013. I was in a new disco club where the music was louder than ever (everyone noticed that).

Since that night I tried everything: TRT, acupunture, benzos, low sodium diet, all kind of drugs, but nothing worked.

On Monday, I'm starting a new therapy that I think you know what is it, the TMS.

Has anyone of you tried this? I read some negative opinion but I am really tired of my 24h sound and I also read good results in some articles from the web.

Could you give me some information?
      Thank you

Does anyone of you know if TMS treatment is loud during the session? I am afraid of another acoustic trauma, which is the cause of my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      It’s reasonably loud apparently and makes a “click click” noise. Wear foam ear plugs and you will be fine

• Like Like x 1
    21. Frédéric

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I wrote my report about rTMS in this thread. See previous pages.
      To me, it was not loud. On the other hand, the coil knocks well the head, it is not pleasant.

• Like Like x 1
    22. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Frensis Please let us know the results after you have the treatment okay? I know a lot of people on here (me included) are trying to see if this is something they want to try too.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes, I will write here my experience. I will start tomorrow morning. It will last 20 day. The clinic is "Istituto di Neuroscienze", Florence. They told me this morning that they have a 50% rate of success in tinnitus treatment. But honestly, I am not very positive...

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    24. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have done the second session today. It is certainly a coincidence but my Tinnitus seems to be more calm today. Maybe it is also because I slept good tonight with L-theanine. I dont know, still no confidence in this treatment.

• Informative Informative x 2
    26. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, benzo/mirtazapine withdrawal, or combo!
      Could you tell us a little bit about the protocol they are following regarding your treatment?
      Wavelength, pulses, duration, etc...
      What do they tell you? Just 50/50 chance of improvement?

27. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The frequency is low, and it last just 15 minutes. I do it everyday. They are stimulating NOT the acustic part of the brain, but the cognitive part. The result they want to obtain is not to eliminate the tinnitus, but to activate the cognitive part of the brain which would distract me from the sound. Sorry if I cannot describe it better but thats what I understood

28. grate_biff
      Alone

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, benzo/mirtazapine withdrawal, or combo!
      So they are trying to help your brain habituate, not calm down your neurons?
      Stimulate is a vague word. At least I thought rTMS was working to slow down neuronal activity.
      It´s not easy to understand their approach.
      I´m really hoping for this treatment myself. If it proves helpful to you, get ready to get bombarded with questions about every detail on their approach;)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Frensis thank you very much for giving us updates. I am sure a lot of people are following this to see how you fare with your treatment.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. Frensis

Frensis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No, they dont want to calm down my neurons, I think they want to iperactivate the cognitive area to improve my ability of distracting from the sound. They say they have better results with this approach...and they also told me that, if there is not improvement, they will stimulate the acustic area.