Trazodone Calms My Hyperacusis and Tinnitus — Why?

Discussion in 'Support' started by David Vance, Jan 18, 2021.

1. David Vance

David Vance Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chemotherapy, imbalances with the body
      Hi everyone, so I have recently figured something out, but curious as to why.

I take Trazodone and Gabapentin, and a week ago, I stopped the Trazodone for two nights, and noticed that my hyperacusis skyrocketed, and every time I took Gabapentin it would get worse. So I gathered the Gabapentin was exacerbating both hyperacusis and tinnitus.

I went back onto the Trazodone, and it significantly helped again. The only thing with Trazodone is that it gives me an insane headache and migraine, muscle aches and pains. I think it may be due to the increased Serotonin but not sure. It apparently causes a pretty bad headache in a lot of people. I get what feels like - nerves inflaming on my scalp and sharp hardcore pains. Cyclobenzaprine also helped a while ago and it also increases Serotonin and Norepinephrine.

I'm finding there has to be some kind of relation with the two.

My psychiatrist had me try Clonazepam, and that just made things worse, I guess because it binds to the GABA receptors just like the Gabapentin.

They say that SSRI's & SNRI's can help some people with hyperacusis & tinnitus and I'm wondering if this is my case. But I don't want the aggravated headache.

I would rather go the natural route, which may be harder to deal with in terms of hyperacusis and tinnitus management, but probably better for the long run.

Or maybe the better sleep caused by these medications helps the hyperacusis? I'm seeing a great neurotologist next month and I'm praying and hoping he will have some sort of answer.

Anyone with a similar experience?

Any help would be wonderful.

Best,
      David

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    2. Paul Gucio

Paul Gucio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible stress
      I think Clonazepam makes my high pitched tinnitus worse. Problem is that I've been on it for like the past 14 months. I tapered off last November for about 2 months. It wasn't fun. My high pitched tinnitus went sky high and on top of that I developed insomnia which won't go away.

I did try Trazodone 50 mg for sleep but it wasn't giving me a good sleep. Crazy dreams, tough.

Cipralex helped me with hyperacusis.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Moss

Moss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Blasting speakers, medical trauma
      I honestly have no idea. I have had insomnia for over twenty years and recently had to find alternatives to medications that weren’t working so well due to habituation and what have you. I have low dopamine levels so get restless legs from some drugs. I suggested Clonazepam first and then Trazodone to my GP as alternatives to the usual medications. Clonazepam really only helped a short while.

I’ve taken Trazodone a couple of nights now and feel quite dull, which scares me and really is how I always felt on antidepressants in the past. I don’t think this stuff is doing my brain any good. My hyperacusis and tinnitus are very bad but I can’t tell if it’s because of the medications. The condition just isn’t getting any better.

I’m pushing really hard with herbs since I have had some luck treating certain problems in the past and also currently. I’m really hoping that if I can address all the imbalances in my body, then hyperacusis and tinnitus as well as the insomnia, might improve. I’m getting older so am feeling the effect of ageing, and it’s another reason I feel compelled to use herbs that at least allegedly keep physical deterioration due to ageing at bay. I’m quite knowledgeable about herbs so just need to try various ideas. I hate the idea of continuing to rely on sleep medicines to sleep - as well as not seeing hyperacusis and tinnitus improve, of course.

• Like Like x 1