Tried My New In-Ear White Noise Generators Today — The Lowest Setting Covers Tinnitus Completely

Discussion in 'Support' started by Zenyatta, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Ear-tooth infection
      Hi all,

I'm starting TRT for T/H and I ordered my in-ear white noise generators two weeks ago. They arrived today and I went to see the audiologist/ENT to learn how to use them.

There's only one problem - despite my T being loud enough that I can hear it in most environments, the lowest setting on the WNGs is enough to mask it completely, I can't hear it at all (at least the T in my left ear).

I expected bad craftsmanship, as it's very prevalent in Eastern Europe, they had to be sent back anyway because they forgot to put vents in the damn things, but now I don't know what to do.

I was told that I need to find the quietest setting in a very quiet room, but I tried to find it at the ENT's office (which, admittedly, had a bit of background noise) and the setting above "off" covered my T right up.

I don't know what to do, is this faulty manufacturing or what? Or is it normal?

If it is messed up, I'm screwed as I have to pay for the stupid things and I can't exactly prove that they seem to have miscalibrated the white noise level...

If anyone has advice, I'd appreciate it. I was told that the noise level should be as low as possible, so I barely hear it. This is certainly louder than that.

(Please don't comment on this thread if you're anti-TRT. I have my doubts, but it's currently my only hope. Thanks.)

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Very strange @Zenyatta what you are saying. I am wearing my white noise generators now and can set the level below my tinnitus. What type of volume control does your WNG have? Are they pre-set like: 1 2 3 or does the volume increase slowly as you click a rocker switch. My WNG have a small rocker switch. When pressed the volume increases and or decreases. However, when it goes to the lowest setting a bleep sounds to indicate this. Having doubts about this treatment isn't the right attitude to have when starting TRT.

Michael

3. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Hi,
      I had a similar problem until I found a proper devices. If you can give your white noise generaots back I would advise the following ones from Acosound, I use them for over a year now. They can be fluently adjusted to your T from a very mild hum to extremely loud, if my T spikes I set it louder, if it settles down then I adjust accordingly:
      http://www.astrex.pl/zauszny-generator-szumow.html

Sorry I found it only on polish web site where they sell it, but I suppose you can google it and find an on-line shop in your country.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Michael Leigh,

I'm using these things: http://sejk.oep.hu/?s=segedeszkoz&ttt=310173353&termek=protone-png . Does that picture help? I haven't heard it beep at all, it seems to be a basic analog switch...

I was advised to get these as they are very basic and the government partly funds them, meaning that the other device, which is an open hearing aid/WNG would have cost me twice as much. Since I have no measurable hearing loss (probably just some high-freq loss that isn't measured by basic audiograms), I was told not to spend unnecessary money on the other device they have available. Now I'm just confused.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah, I see we're from the same region - hi! Hungarian here. That's the problem... I signed a document that I will pay for these devices as they're custom fit and cannot be reused and I don't know what to do...

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Zenyatta

The picture helps a lot thanks. There are two types of white noise generators. BTE (Behind The Ear) or Inner Ear. Behind the ear white noise generators look very similar to a hearing aid. Inner ear type. These are much smaller and are more discrete and fit in the ear canal. I have used both types and currently use BTE.

From the picture you have given me suggests that you have Inner ear white noise generators. They look good and I notice there is a volume control on it. I used to use a very similar type to these before changing to BTE.

The volume of your WNG should be able to go very low to almost silent? If they can't then they might not be adjusted correctly or your tinnitus is very low.

Michael

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh Yeah, that's what I thought, that it'll go from very low to almost silent - but apparently the setting right above "off" is way, way louder than I expected. My T isn't low either (I wish it was, I had mild stable T for 5 years that I didn't care about at all, what I'd give to have that back, ha!) as I can hear it pretty much everywhere I go, or at least some frequencies - I currently have 4-5 different tones in my right ear only and some of them are only masked by the shower.

Which made me wonder - could this be a manufacturing error? I mean, if they forgot to put vents on the silly things...

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think that you should have a word with your Audiologist. The white noise should be set below the tinnitus and should never masked it (cover it up )

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Zenyatta
      Depressed

Zenyatta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/2017(spike)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh Yeah, that's what I've read everywhere. I'll contact them soon. The maskers are being shipped back to the manufacturer due to the lack of vents anyway, so I might as well ask. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1