Trigeminal Neuralgia Coupled with Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sara_Bond, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Sara_Bond
      Cool

Sara_Bond Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Hi people,

It's me again. I wish I didn't post again as I was feeling better and habituated to my T .

So since my last setback, or I think I should call it new noise-injury (a balloon popped at 1,5m from me), I had severe earache in my left ear.

I saw the doctor and gave me some Lyrica, it has a little bit settled the earache (or maybe coupled with silence).

But I still have this neuralgia which I believe it's trigeminal neuralgia, and feel like some hotness and burning in the left part of my face (it sucks), well a special point in my face.

Like today it hasn't settled down since this morning and got me crying cause it was too painful and found it unfair that it still happens to me (I try to stay positive and push myself hard). Not it has calmed down but still here. (hot weather could trigger it too?)

Well I'm asking to people who seem to have face/trigeminal neuralgia, what treatment did you take, which weren't ototoxic? I know they are hard to treat but sometimes could be released by themselves. In my case I guess that unwanted noise and when there aren't noise, trigger this pain. I especially have it in the morning when waking up (delayed pain?).

I would be grateful to have some advice, I just would like the pain to go. It's horrific. THANK YOU.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @Sara_Bond
      My mother was greatly helped by medication called endep (an old AD).
      She went from one dr to another for months and it wasn't until oral surgeon prescribed endep that she got better, much better indeed.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @valeri
      Thank you so much. I fear from running to one doctor to another.

The thing is I guess mine is caused by H. Maybe it would ease a little bit, I really hope so.

4. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I have some trigeminal issues. I got a good amount of relief from a cranial osteopath / physical therapist who did some adjustments to the sphenoid bone.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I guess it's my trigeminal nerve causing my issues with weird, one-sided facial sensations. It must still be in the early stages, because I don't experience any abnormal amount of pain when exposed to loud noises.

Additionally, I never had this type of problem before my tinnitus mysteriously worsened, seemingly without reason. Do any of you think that the pain in the face is referred pain from the ear, because the cochlea, while being a tight bundle of millions of nerve fibers, doesn't have nerves to sense pain? The pain from an injury has to go somewhere, right?

If anyone here has hearing loss + trigeminal neuralgia, did they come on together, or separately?

6. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      it's not uncommon for nerves to attempt to compensate for lower input on another. I have some similar issues @Vaba.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Tom Cnyc

Thanks for your feedback. I'm so afraid now of seeing another therapist. I saw one 3 months ago and he triggered this trigeminal nevralgia. Glad that yours has a little bit settled down.

Has anyway your pain totally disappear? Do you still have earache?

8. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:

totally? no. earache has improved a lot though.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Tom Cnyc . Thank you. Great it has improved and hope it'll continue. :)

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure

You should go see a dentist postgraded in TMJD. TMJD can bring similar symptoms as facial nevralgias, earaches, tinnitus etc.... I see that your T has an unknown source, you might have a look. In my case, I wear a night guard when sleeping.

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Lipoic acid for neuropathy 600mg daily

Omegas

B complex

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sara_Bond
      Cool

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
    13. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Ive used lipoic acid to heal other neuropathies ... worth a shot

14. Lora Brune

Lora Brune Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February 1, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected MRI
      I have atypical facial pain. I take oxycodone, gabapentin, and amitryptyline. The oxycodone and gabapentin help with the atypical facial pain. I believe the amitriptyline helps about 5% with my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

15. Lora Brune

Lora Brune Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      February 1, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unprotected MRI
      Additionally, the atypical facial pain and tinnitus/hyperacusis are completely independent.
      My tinnitus/hyperacusis was caused by an MRI - the tech gave me no hearing protection nor the panic bulb and I was stuck in an immobilizing head device.

16. Bassel ezzo

Bassel ezzo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia. It comes with facial pain mainly coming from the right ear, which is persistent ear pain. Also I have noise sensitivity and I can't even sleep side ways, the pain in the ear will increase. All MRIs and tests everything show normal results. I just wanted to ask has your issue been cured?

17. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Try not to be on medication, there's nothing that can cure this. Medication can only complicate things in the long run. The best you can do is relax and try to lead a healthy life, exercise, eat well etc